Jambands.ca

SCI - Done

StoneMtn

I know what they did, but did they announce the hiatus? I know they were planning to break up.

The Dead had announced it... But not as a hiatus... They had it in their heads that they were going to stop touring all together and probably break up all together... The over-head(cost of lugging the Wall of Sound and paying employees) was just far too much and they found themselves so far in debt, and that's not even considering all the back taxes they owed and all the money that Mickey's dad ran off with a few years prior... They just didn't see it as feasible anymore...

Why do you think they had that 4 night run at the Winterland and why Jerry wanted it all documented(filmed, later edited by Jerry and released as the Grateful Dead movie)... It was their goodbye... That was supposed to be their last run of shows... They had a bunch of guests over the 5 night run of shows...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the SCI website:

After summer 2007, Billy Nershi is leaving The String Cheese Incident to pursue other musical projects. There will be only a limited number of Incidents between now and then. Current plans include Thanksgiving in Atlanta, a New Years Eve blowout in San Francisco, Winter Carnival in Colorado, and a return to Red Rocks. Presently, there are no plans for The String Cheese Incident beyond summer of 2007.

The band would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to our friends and fans for all your support.

I wish I could find it vindicating that the Cheese don't even have vocal support from their fanbase these days. They're fucking hacks and a good time benderama banjonoodle fest. Fookin' lame ass twats.

Wow, are you always so nice with your comments when a band makes a decision like this? Ever thought that SCI may have touched a lot of people in a special way that some bands may touch you?

Shit, what are you like when somebody dies?!

I've never been the biggest SCI fan. I did see them once and was inpressed by their jamming but didn't get so much into their songs(big shoes on).

However, I have always taken comfort in the fact that they were out there, drawing big crowds to a musical style that I love.

How many "big" bands are left?

WSP, moe, ???

I'm not fall down crazy about either, but I still enjoy them.

Should every band that is not critically acclaimed by zero fall by the wayside with only a snide remark?

And in related news:

(VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA) More breakups have been announced in the jamband world. Following the lead of The Dead, Phish and, most recently, The String Cheese Incident, one-man jamband Keller Williams announced today that he is breaking up with himself. The eclectic ensemble of one says that he is immediately leaving his current tour so that he can pursue other musical interests and possibly a solo career. Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes have been tapped to replace the Virginia native for his remaining dates, with special guest appearances rumored from Bob Weir, Trey Anastasio and Bill Nershi. Ironically, Williams final songs as part of Keller Williams, was the medley "Bob Rules> Why Can't We All Just Get Along> Let's Get The Show On The Road> Come Together" capped off with Yoko Ono's "Why."

Well yeah I'm pretty much like this all the time. If for fun we pulled up a handful of remarks I've made about the Cheese over the years you'd find this is on the tamer side, that's also to say there's a real consistency in what I've said along. Fuck that noise about people dying, I respect the dead.

To me the Cheese breaking up or whatever is more like a cult ending. It seems glaringly evident that they played heavily off the death of Phish, benefited for some time in particular by being highly accessible verging heavily on flaky. This isn't so much to do with critical acceptance, I'd take remote decency and talent beyond scores of bar bands across this continent.

Yeah, I used to really dig SCI back in 1998-2001 when they had more of a bluegrass feel to their shows. I caught them a few times but I really haven't been excited about them for years now.

The best stuff they ever did was backing Keller (IMHO) and the best performance I saw them play (at the first Bonnaroo). The Keller Williams Incident show from Vegoose is on etree and I suggest everyone check it out.

Now Nershi can do his acoustic stuff (Honkytonk Homeslice) and Kang can do his far out space trance (Zilla).

What SCI should do is get Jamie Janover from Zilla to join (he plays the Hammered Dulcimer and is an amazing musician) and keep it going in a new direction.

I'm sure they will all still make music and be happier for it.

That's a huge bummer about Keller breaking up though.

Well, like 'em or hate 'em, these guys have definitely touched some people over the years. Here's a quote from a friend of mine posting on another board...

Unfortunately, I only really got into the Cheese later on. This is definitely a bummer! I was looking forward to many more shows

Makes me think of a Buddhist sand mandala. A uniquely beautiful creation full of rich detail..depth! Cheese show seems to share the traits of simultaneously being an artistic endeavor and an act of worship! Once perfected, dismantled "This process symbolizes the transience of life and the ideal of nonattachment to the material world"

And in related news:
(VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA) More breakups have been announced in the jamband world. Following the lead of The Dead, Phish and, most recently, The String Cheese Incident, one-man jamband Keller Williams announced today that he is breaking up with himself. The eclectic ensemble of one says that he is immediately leaving his current tour so that he can pursue other musical interests and possibly a solo career. Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes have been tapped to replace the Virginia native for his remaining dates, with special guest appearances rumored from Bob Weir, Trey Anastasio and Bill Nershi. Ironically, Williams final songs as part of Keller Williams, was the medley "Bob Rules> Why Can't We All Just Get Along> Let's Get The Show On The Road> Come Together" capped off with Yoko Ono's "Why."

Hilarlious

I can imagine some of the kids on String Cheese tour might have been a little dizzy from all the hula-hooping, but I don't recall ever hearing of acid or any other drugs in that scene.

I camped next a group of Cheese Heads at 10KLF and they were on acid 24/7...not to mention smoking lots of DMT and throwing down e.