Jambands.ca

POLL: Cons still lead nationally but trail Libs everywhere outside Alberta

Hux

THIS IS INSANE!!! (looking for more details)

Tories still lead nationally but trail Grits everywhere outside Alberta: poll

OTTAWA (CP) - A new poll suggests Alberta is the only remaining bastion of federal Conservative party support, with the leaderless Liberals leading in every other region of the country.

The survey of more than 1,000 Canadians was taken by Decima Research after the Conservative government's controversial decision last week to tax income trusts.

While Conservative support in Alberta remains sky high around 65 per cent, the Liberals lead by an average of three percentage points in the rest of Canada.

That's a big reversal for Prime Minister Stephen Harper's party, which enjoyed a 10-point lead over the Liberals outside Alberta at the time of the Jan. 23 election.

Nationally, the Conservatives polled 31 per cent of decided and leaning voters, compared to 28 per cent for the Liberals and 18 per cent for the NDP; the Bloc Quebecois and the Green party were tied nationally at nine per cent support.

The poll is considered accurate within 3.1 per cent, 19 times in 20.

And in tangentially related news, what's Garth Turner's big secret ?

Maverick MP hints at 'disturbing' revelation, but coy on subject

Last Updated: Monday, November 13, 2006 | 9:59 AM ET

CBC News

Independent MP Garth Turner won't say what "disturbing" information he plans to make public Tuesday, hinting in his blog that it has to do with the reasons behind his ouster from the Conservative party.

The Ontario MP, who was booted from the Tory caucus in October for allegedly leaking party secrets in his blog, called a news conference on the weekend for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday.

Turner didn't say what his news conference would be about, but wrote that the topic was "important enough to make the trek to Ottawa and back during this week when Parliament's adjourned."

"I have a few things to say, after receiving three letters on Friday afternoon … from three senior Conservative bosses. They affect me, but they also affect you," wrote Turner, who represents the Halton riding west of Toronto.

After being suspended from the Tory caucus on Oct. 18, Turner said the local riding association passed a motion asking for answers to 10 questions, including queries about his status and the "process big political parties now operate by."

"The answers are in. As a result of what I read, I wrote to the prime minister today," he wrote in a cryptic blog posting on Sunday.

Continue Article

"His response will likely determine my course of action from that moment forward."

In a Sunday night interview with the Toronto Star, published on Monday, Turner said he had "disturbing" information to release at his news conference.

"I do have some information which I find very disturbing, which I will be releasing on Tuesday," he told the newspaper.

"Obviously it's an evolving story. I do want to keep people abreast of this as it unravels. Because it is quite an interesting chapter in Canadian political history and I think it's somewhat uncharted territory I'm in. I'm doing things for the first time here."

Greens, Liberals in future?

There has also been speculation Turner could announce whether he plans to join another party.

"I'm sure a bunch of people are wondering if I'll be announcing my decision to become a Green or a Liberal, or if the Tories have come to their senses and are begging to take me back," he said in the blog.

"Well, can’t say right now."

Turner had confirmed Green Party Leader Elizabeth May contacted him in the days after his dismissal.

Turner wrote that the news conference was not about getting back into the Tory caucus or getting re-elected.

"My battle now is not to get back into caucus. That’s done. Nor is it to punish the prime minister or my former colleagues for their actions."

Turner was suspended on the recommendation of the party's Ontario caucus for breaching caucus confidentiality. Turner denies the allegation, saying he was booted because some of his beliefs are at odds with the party.

Turner's departure left the standings in the Commons as follows: 124 Conservatives, 101 Liberals, 50 Bloc Québécois, 29 NDP, two Independents. There are two vacant seats.