Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

In March 1966, Smythe sold his remaining shares and resigned from the board of directors after a Muhammad Ali boxing match was scheduled for the Gardens. He found Ali's refusal to serve in the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War to be offensive and said that by accepting the fight, Gardens owners had "put cash ahead of class."

Thanks for that info. I hadn't heard that story before. I'm not saying either one is right, but I commend them BOTH for having the character to stand up and take action on what they believed in. Smythe was a WWI and WWII veteran so it's understandable that he would not understand a person's decision to NOT want to serve in the military. I'm sure he slept better after selling his shares and remaining classy :)

Interesting reading that he also became "a vocal critic of government policy that made overseas service voluntary, and was threatened with a court martial. In 1965, he unsuccessfully lobbied for the Canadian Red Ensign to be flown at the Gardens instead of the new Flag of Canada."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Saturday I was disappointed by the Junior B game the Sens played. Sunday I was looking forward to the Sens / Habs game.

Monday I stated the following facts:

Ottawa's record worsened to 15-3 over the weekend, while Toronto's improved to 8-8-5.