Jambands.ca

What's your Job?

Deeps

Guest Low Roller

I'm a project manager with a company that develops the display systems for flight simulators, both civilian and military, and dome environment planetariums.

The product kicks ass, but the job is very stressful. Unpaid overtime is frequent.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the Marketing Manager for a Privately Owned 8 Branch HVAC, Plumbing, IPVF & Refrigeration Supply Company. I get to work my own time from where I want. It's great.

My Wife & I also have had a small seasonal hippy shop in Sauble Beach called Irie Sky for the past 6 years. Sadly this time in our life is coming to an end. We also part time still wholesale our Hempopotamus products here and there.

We really do seem to have an amazing bunch here. It just shows you good music and good times transcends all.

Edited by Guest

I work in a large format print shop running a lightjet printer (essentially a huge laser powered photo printer), and I also do freelance photography on the side. I actually hate my job...well my job is OK, but my boss takes the prize for "worst boss ever", and he makes me hate my job...so it's back to school in 2007...if I can only figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

is that your normal voice? thats a pretty bad ass voice if it is.

thanks man' date=' yes that's all me...

[/quote']

Chatham radio misses you, Chewie! The pork report has never been quite the same! And the 'good news of the day' gig you had going on... fugheddaboutit. The morning show hosts since you left are unbearable.

When I'm not playing int he Chameleon Project or doing any other kind of seesion work, I have a day job as a licensing coordinator for the Canadian Musical Rights and Reproduction Association. Basically that means I make sure artists/writers get paid royalties for thier music when it is sold.

I also do music supervision (choosing music for films) and sample clearance (legally paying for samples music uses).

That's my bag(s)...

Wow, certainly a variety of vocations here. Personally, I'm a licensed plumber with 15 years in the construction industry. Most recently I have set up safe drinking water programs for the city of Guelph and Kitchener, concurrently pissing off most of the managerial staff with my unsolicited advice on how things should be done. Ultimately having myself 'let go',(to put it in the palm-olive, Madge).

Anyone know of a municipal water system that needs to be auditted?

The big machine has managed to create quite a monster underground for the existing population to repair.

I would have thought these issues were more important to the directors of said municipalities.

Other than that I do lots of renovation type plumbing projects (no job too small) and make as much music with good friends as committments will allow.

is that your normal voice? thats a pretty bad ass voice if it is.

thanks man' date=' yes that's all me...

[/quote']

Chatham radio misses you, Chewie! The pork report has never been quite the same! And the 'good news of the day' gig you had going on... fugheddaboutit. The morning show hosts since you left are unbearable.

thanks kk...love talking about those november sows and beans...lol

I have a small home-based business (Wheels Gone Bye) that deals in automotive memorabilia and collectibles (old tins, toys, signs, ads etc). Some might consider what i have to be simply old junk, but some, like the company Birdy works for, might consider it otherwise.

I have also used the business to write and publish a short book of local history (Square Deal Garage) and am currently working on the story of the Canada Cycle and Motor Co.(later to become CCM).

Sounds more exciting than it is, perhaps, but I enjoy it.

:)

people have no idea, NO IDEA, how much 'junk' is really worth, or how desirable it really can be. Old signs selling for over $100,000!! crazy!

if you're ever looking to liquidate dr. j! ;)

It's kind of amazing that we all find the time to waste away the hours on this board...

I guess we all have a little procrastinating tendancies in common as well... who would have figured?

haha.. my job requires me to be online pretty much all day long.. 9 hours at a time when i'm not traveling. 9 hours online! c'mon. I'm not going to be 'working' every single second!

hey cowboy, welding, is it an art or science? (The current argument around the plant)

Are those the only two choices? I think there should be another one: practice. (That is, welding is neither [purely] an art nor [purely] a science; instead, it's a practice that has both aesthetic properties [especially for decorative items] and scientific/technologic properties.)

Aloha,

Brad

could you say - a scientific art?

hmmm, yes you could I suppose. There's definatley science involved, it is welding, but to be a good welder, you don't really need to know the science. Perhaps a welder could use the scientific method to learn to be a better welder. However most really good welders are "naturals" and thus more artistic than scientific. (if that makes any sense).

Edited by Guest

I guess welding is a combination of several things...

the more theory you know/understand about the science of welding the better you can apply your artist skills

like a musician, the more you practice your art the better welder you become, however having some natural talent helps a lot.

I initially got interested in welding for the artisitic opportunities. Then I realized I was good and could make a shit load of money if i followed the right path. When I was living in BC, because I was a welder who travelled with my own tools i qualified for artisan insurance on my vehicle, which gave me a significant discount.

Welding is a trade though, and one which we have a shortage of skilled people to fulfill job openings. Alberta for instance can't keep up with production because of the shortage of tradespeople.

trades are cool...just do it :)

Right now i'm the manager of a 'pro audio' shop - I handle retail/rentals and a staff of 10 people. The actual company is alot bigger, doing production for concerts/corporate/etc...

I miss my last job where I was doing post sound and voiceovers for cartoons...definitely sounded better when asked 'what I do'

...also left me lots more time to lounge about on the net...and my house.

It's kind of amazing that we all find the time to waste away the hours on this board...

I guess we all have a little procrastinating tendancies in common as well... who would have figured?

:D !

I'm a bit spoiled in that I can usually check in during the 10-minute breaks every hour in my three-hour classes, plus before and after while I'm replying to students' emails and needing quick deep breaths of common sense in between.

Plus some of the threads provide awfully good material to throw out for examples ;) .