Jambands.ca

What's your Job?

Deeps

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the sous chef at North Americas highest restaurant going on 5 years...I cook kick ass food at 7700 feet all day long, then get to snowboard down the mountain at the end of the day. I only work 4-5 months at a time then get 6 paid weeks off to do whatever the hell I want. Wow, rough living in the mountains...and to think that I was gonna give all that up and move back to Ontario :P

http://kickinghorseresort.com/activities/eagleseye

i deal with a lot of morons engineers.

Me too. I love pointing out engineers mistakes for them. They get so offended. It's quite amusing.

hey cowboy' date=' welding, is it an art or science? (The current argument around the plant)

[/quote']

:P

the best one i have ever had was a guy that sent me a layout for a bent & welded steel cube enclosure with (wait for it) all seams welded water-tight (including the top). i finally had to have him come to the shop and watch guys bending to impress on him that at least one side had to be open so that he could get his electronics in before we welded it closed.

d'oh!

and fwiw, welding is a science that when done well becomes an art form. our main fabricator has produced several sculptures for a local artist and fabrication in the right hands is totally art....

Oh, and a band from Moncton asked me to join on pedal steel this week. Look out East Coast, I may be in a whole new line of work in your neighbourhood soon...

Do it. Then you can be cool like NorthernWish and I. ;)

Seriously though, I know the band you speak of. If you want a third party opinion or just want to hear about Moncton from the perspective of someone that moved out here from Ontario, give me a PM or an email.

My job - I work in Intellectual Property for a company involved in lottery, gaming and transaction handling. Evenings and weekends I write songs that no one will ever hear.

I am the sous chef at North Americas highest restaurant going on 5 years...I cook kick ass food at 7700 feet all day long, then get to snowboard down the mountain at the end of the day. I only work 4-5 months at a time then get 6 paid weeks off to do whatever the hell I want. Wow, rough living in the mountains...and to think that I was gonna give all that up and move back to Ontario :P

http://kickinghorseresort.com/activities/eagleseye

I ate there once, and it was delicious! Your commute home from work must be nice -- Kcking Horse has the best terrain I've ever ridden. I was once a cook/counterperson/server at the Dogtooth River Cafe in Golden, right by the timberframe bridge. I was the Dogtooth's first male employee. Good times.

This one is a rambler... Any sagely advice will be greatly accepted. :crazy:

My last job was as an english teacher in Seoul, Korea. I taught kids from kindergarten through middle school all the basics of speech, writing, and reading. On the side I taught english conversation to wealthy Korean businessmen. I've been traveling for about 3 months now and coming home soon. I'll go back to Korea and teach english again for about 6 months beginning in February, but only to build up some cash.

I'd love a career in the diplomatic field, and this seems very difficult to obtain. I'm interested in a career related to environmental sustainability -- renewable energy, alternative fuels, food issues, etc. It seems like finding a job in the alternative enegry or carbon technology area will be the easiest; lots of jobs opening up there. Then again is that what I want? I'm never sure. I've got a BA with a degree in "Global Studies: Communities & Identities".. Basically I studied a heady mix of politics, int'l development, global political economy, environmental studies, cultural studies and sociolgy. I'm leaning towards going back to school next September for either a post-grad diploma or a Masters in somethin' or other. Theres a post-grad at Humber called int'l project management that comes with a built-in guaranteed placement. Guaranteed experience with your paid tuition. I'll also be playing the dreaded int'l development internship application game, and looking out for any other good opportunities. Blane and 1&AH, seems you're at the place where I want to be! If and when we cross paths again, I'd love to talk about work down this path and how you've gotten to where you're at.

I've got an alternate plan too: I might take a 4 month glassblowing course at Fleming's art college in Haliburton. (Glassblowing is/was a hobby of mne). THEN become an airline stewart. Then I could reap the amazing benefits of that career - there are many - and blow glass in my plentiful time off. But this is so far removed from what I've been thikning of doing all this time, that its hard to imagine following through.

Edited by Guest