Jambands.ca

"Kramer's" Racist Tirade -- Caught on Tape

Esau.

You're all wrong. The word "nigger" is derived from Niger or Nigeria, the area of Africa from which many slaves were purchased during the 1700s and 1800s. It was then adopted to mean ignorant because white slave owners considered the blacks to be ignorant of North American ways. Which, for all intense purposes they were.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all wrong. The word "nigger" is derived from Niger or Nigeria, the area of Africa from which many slaves were purchased during the 1700s and 1800s. It was then adopted to mean ignorant because white slave owners considered the blacks to be ignorant of North American ways. Which, for all intense purposes they were.

Wikipedia disagrees with you.

Sorry; how had you inferred? For my part, that was an oblique, I'm-falling-asleep and in-a-bad-mood and pissed-off-at-people-who-lack-empathy sort of comment.

Is there an empathy gene that some people are just missing? I know I get caught up in myself often enough, but what is it about some people that they can let themselves get routinely oblivious to other people's experiences?

That's still a bit abstract, given the topic at hand, of course.

I'll have to pull up youtube when I get a minute to find that clip from last night.

His comedy club freak-out was so over-the-top I can't imagine people felt it was genuine.

I dunno. Didn't Michael Richards think it was? Seemed to me that's what scares him.

Letterman gave him the perfect opening to portray it as part of the act (albeit gone out of control & over the line), but he didn't take it.

I agree - he did look scared of himself. Of course, he is an actor by trade, but when the audience keep laughing at the stunned look on his face, as if he was in character as Kramer (or maybe it was just nervous laughter), there was what seemed like real frustration coming out. His saying he needed some time for real introspection I thought was the healthiest thing (for everybody) he came out with.

Then again, who's to say what's real in this whacky postmodern world. For all we know, the thing could have been staged, and he could be pulling a (very strange, mind you) Borat.