Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

Heritage Brewing in Ottawa is having a Holiday Beer Bash on Tuesday, November 24, from 5pm - 7pm, featuring their new Blackcurrent Rye Beer, and music from Mike Sasso.

Come out and taste some beer at Heritage Brewing on 866 Campbell Ave just off of Carling Ave in the West End of Ottawa by the Canadian Tire. Tom McMahon and I will be playing some tunes. It's a good time and they make truly excellent beer in many varieties. It's the biggest keg party you will ever go to*. After Work on Tuesday November 24th 5pm-7pm. There will be food there too.

Aloha,

Brad

* I suspect that Mike is unfamiliar with the celebrations of Canada Day that took place at THAT PLACE.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

CorneDuDiable.jpg

I found individual bottles of Dieu Du Ciel's "Corne du diable" (The Devil's Horns) at the LCBO (Carling & Woodroffe) the other day, and really like it. It's their take on an American IPA, and it's wonderful, though on the rich side, with just enough hops and other flavours to make everything balance nicely.

Aloha,

Brad

I've been loving Campbellford, Ontario's Church Key Brewery's West Coast Pale Ale. Its on tap at the Manx and Moon Room on Preston. DELICIOUS STUFF..

Church Key Brewery

Stay away from the Holy Smoke Scotch Ale though - tastes overpoweringly like smoke. Liquid smoke. Gross.

On another note, I had the Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale over the past week or so. It's strong (7.2%) and dark, and I didn't like it at all - until the 5th sip or so and then it becomes very good. Not sure if I'd buy it again, just because of the first few sips.

I am also loving the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. It's (obviously) a Hazelnut beer, and I made a beer float last night that was delicious.

I've had a lot of Rogue beers and they have mostly been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
monkeys.jpg

I bought another six-pack of this today, and just realized that they print little messages in their bottle caps (is it Magic Hat that does that, too?). So far, I've had

• Change is inevitable...except from vending machines.
  • Do not have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
  • Free beer tomorrow. [three times]
  • God. Family. Beer.
  • He who laughs last drinks slowest or drinks the most beer.
  • If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
  • Roll Tide Roll
  • Smile. It'll make people wonder what you're up to.
  • Thirsty, Thirsty, Hippo!
  • Your sole purpose in life might be to serve as a warning to others.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add "Smile. It'll make people wonder what you're up to."

Is that an Ontario brew Mr M? Is it hoppy like an American IPA? Curious to see if my LCBO could special order it in.

It's made in Barrie, ON, and is hoppy like some of the American IPAs (that said, it's not super-crazy-hoppy).

It's part of the normal LCBO catalogue:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=132670

Aloha,

Brad

I bought this at the LCBO on Richmond Road... Punk IPA by BrewDog Brewery in Scotland.

punk+ipa.jpg

This is an incredible beer! From the first smell I was sold and from the first taste smitten. This unassumingly light coloured beer packs an awesome hop punch, starting with floral notes that turn into a burnt bitter taste at the end. There is quite the flavour profile in between. This is a classic American style IPA brewed in Scotland -- it's quite disarming. I am so pleased with this discovery!

The 6% ABV is a nice bonus.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bottle.jpg

This is an extremely strong beer, it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost.

ABV:

32%

OG:

Malts:

Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley

Hops:

Galena, Bramling Cross

Twist:

Frozen by Penguins for 3 weeks at an ice cream factory resulting in the worldÕs strongest ever beer (ever)

Available in

* 330ml bottles

http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin.php

They also have a 41% IPA called Sink The Bismark

• 3 months later...

'Brewers have invented a beer laced with cheese to help amorous boozers perform after a night on the tiles. The brew promises a 'positive and healthy' response even after a skinful. "My wife can't have any objection to me spending the night down the pub now," said one drinker in Bregenz. One risk which could break the mood though might be the drinker's breath after a night of cheesy booze. So drinkers be weary to take a toothbrush out to the pub with them' - Metro.