Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

Is that IPA available through the beer store POG? I'm also a IPA fan.

Last one I had that I sort of enjoyed (and hadn't heard of before) was from The Great Lakes Brewing company called "My Bitter Wife" IPA. A friend brought a half-dozen to our poker night two weeks back and gave me one.

Has anyone gave that one a try?

I picked up* a six-pack of

propellerbitter.gif

from Halifax yesterday, along with a bottle of Mill Street's "Schleimhammer Roggenbier"

This unfiltered, medium copper rye beer was not brewed for almost 500 years because it was outlawed by the Bavarian Purity Law (the Rheinheitsgebot). Our Schleimhammer Roggenbier is an authentic reproduction of this ancient beer with rich fruitiness and a clean, dry, quenching finish.

I can't find any info on it on Mill Street's website.

I'll be trying both over the next day or so.

Aloha,

Brad

* At the bit LCBO at Rideau & King Edward in Ottawa.

Also, read on OttawaFoodies that Mill St has been looking at the former Mill Restaurant on the Ottawa River near the Portage Bridge as a possible brewpub site. Have no idea if this is true or not, but someone on the foodies site reported that so I'm passing it along.......

• 2 weeks later...
Stop everything! Saranac Pale Ale is now available at the LCBO on Rideau. Whoa!

P.S. I love that Mill Street rumour.

2365339730_f7ecbf28af.jpg

Great beer (Mill St. and Saranac Lake Pale). However, beware of Mill St. the pub. Their flagship pub in the Distillery District in Toronto borders on suck due to poor management and even poorer beer and food pricing. But the worst thing about Mill St. pub is their policy to pour a piss-poor pint/half-pint, where bartenders are told to leave a head as big as two fingers width from the top of the glass. When you are paying close to $7 a pint and getting huge foam, it sucks and you feel ripped off... and you'd be right. I know this to be true since my wife and a number of her friends worked there and I have been at the pub many many times. I stick to bottles now.

why have you been many many times if it borders on suck

It didn't always suck. It started out as a great pub. Their policy changed though sometime in the last two years. I continued going there because Vicki along with several friends continued to work there; they'd pour me good pints, but I was "special". And the pub itself is located in one of the nicest and most interesting parts of the city... plus they have their own beer store, which isn't a rip-off.

• 2 weeks later...

Beau's is releasing a one-day-only beer on Thursday, Sept. 9.

http://www.beaus.ca/beer/wild_oats/festivale_plus

No. 4 • Festivale Plus Sticke Alt

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 9TH!

Brewers of Alt Beer in Düsseldorf will occasionally, and secretly, brew a special, extra malty, extra hoppy version of their beer and only announce it the day before its release. It’s known as ‘sticke’ – German slang for ‘secret’

Beau's All Natural Brewing Co. is happy to attempt an Ontario recreation of this happy event, by brewing an amped up version of FestivAle – our summer seasonal beer which recently won a GOLD medal at Mondial de la Biere in Strasbourg, France.

Festivale Plus will be available TOMORROW (Thursday September 9th) in a limited amount at the brewery and select restaurants and bars, which hopefully will sell out in one day in keeping with the ‘sticke’ tradition. Check below for a complete list.

Festivale Plus is brewed with lots of extra malts, lots of extra hops – including a first wort hopping, and aged extra-long on oak.

"As Beau's continues to grow, we get to have more and more fun.†says Steve Beauchesne of BEAU’S All Natural Brewing Company, â€This is a great example of a crazy idea come to life."

festivaleplus-11x17c.jpg

Aloha,

Brad

I've seen the green one at the LCBO. I will pick it up next time I'm there.

I'm currently enjoying a Galt Knife Old Style Lager from Grand River Brewing in Cambridge, ON... bottled on July 16th. It's very nice!

3841031535_03f46f9081.jpg

After seeing this at the LCBO and remembering your post, I gave it try. I enjoyed it, but don't know how often I would buy it. Funny thing was, later the same night I was in Paris,ON to see Doug Feaver play and the bar he was at served this (and another, I forget) on tap. $6 a pint and it was worth it. I really enjoyed it on tap.

:chug: