Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

I agree. Christine picks up cool stuff from Rideau Street all the time that our LCBO doesn't carry. I asked the manager about it once and it's due to limited shelf space. Still, it would be nice if the items they do choose to bring in were a little more interesting.

I give them credit for stocking the Beau's Beaver River, while it lasted, though.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure the difference between Great Lakes Brewery's bottled Canuck IPA and this one (other than the name), but the latter is an excellent American-syled IPA (and would make a nice choice for Canada Day):

Crazy-Canuck_CAN-artwork_MOCK-Up-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

If anyone in the Ottawa area hasn't tried it, Black Oak is now available at the Scott St. beer store. If you have tried it, you know what I'm talking about!

Black Oak Pale Ale is very good. It's not really an American IPA such as a Duggan's 9 or Tankhouse, but it has a unique taste.

IPAs are supposed to be hoppy! That said I thought the Crazy Canuck was ok but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Not a big fan of the Black Oak Pale Ale either, but it doesn't sell itself as an IPA does it Jaimoe? And Tankhouse is an IPA? What?

IPAs are supposed to be hoppy! That said I thought the Crazy Canuck was ok but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Not a big fan of the Black Oak Pale Ale either, but it doesn't sell itself as an IPA does it Jaimoe? And Tankhouse is an IPA? What?

Right you are on the former. Black Oak is an American Pale Ale and not an American IPA such as Crazy Canuck and the awesome Smash Bomb Atomic from Flying Monkey. I've read some reviews that refer to Mill Street as an American IPA, but it's also listed as an American Pale. According to the folks I spoke with at Mill Street (an overselling job on their behalf), they said Tankhouse is American-styled Pale, and it does taste similar to the gallons of IPAs I drank during my California trip.

Picked some of these up at the brewery yesterday, it was their 4th anniversary gala. Meads and fruit beers were the spotlight, I tried a few samples but I haven't developed a taste for them just yet. They are actually starting to know who we are when we show up now as my friend John and I have made it a every second weekend deal.

Haven't crack one of these yet, but will after dinner as recommended by my friend John who loves this one.

The Russian Gun Imperial Stout pours deep brown – nearly black – with a lasting tan head. Notes of chocolate, caramel and coffee mingle nicely with the 9% abv but without an overpowering alcohol flavour. An extremely well-balanced beer.

russian-gun.jpg

GRB also took home a handful of awards at the 2011 Ontario brewing awards event in may.

Two of their British India Pale Ales were among the people's choice winners - Curmudgeon IPA & Plowman’s Ale.

Russian Gun Imperial Stout also won a peoples choice for stout.

I'm really starting to enjoy these British style IPAs a lot more then the summery light style of the American IPAs.

Muskoka brewery makes some great beers, especially their seasonals. I've been enjoying the Summer Weiss, nice brew when out in the sun on a warm/humid day. Although, the candy banana scent took some getting used to.

I haven't sampled the Mad Tom's yet, although they are on my radar. We're heading to Bracebridge to visit some friends this summer and they have a friend or cousin that works at Muskoka brewery so we're pressuring for a tour of that place as well. I'm getting addicted to brewery tours!

Picked some of these up at the brewery yesterday, it was their 4th anniversary gala. Meads and fruit beers were the spotlight, I tried a few samples but I haven't developed a taste for them just yet. They are actually starting to know who we are when we show up now as my friend John and I have made it a every second weekend deal.

Haven't crack one of these yet, but will after dinner as recommended by my friend John who loves this one.

The Russian Gun Imperial Stout pours deep brown – nearly black – with a lasting tan head. Notes of chocolate, caramel and coffee mingle nicely with the 9% abv but without an overpowering alcohol flavour. An extremely well-balanced beer.

russian-gun.jpg

GRB also took home a handful of awards at the 2011 Ontario brewing awards event in may.

Two of their British India Pale Ales were among the people's choice winners - Curmudgeon IPA & Plowman’s Ale.

Russian Gun Imperial Stout also won a peoples choice for stout.

I'm really starting to enjoy these British style IPAs a lot more then the summery light style of the American IPAs.

Have you tried Smash Bomb Atomic IPA? The Only on the Danforth has it on tap. It's fucking good: 7.2% of hoppy goodness. Curmudgeon IPA is great!

Edited by Guest

Have you tried Smash Bomb Atomic IPA? The Only on the Danforth has it on tap. It's fucking good: 7.2% of hoppy goodness. Curmudgeon IPA is great!

No, I haven't tried it. The few Flying Monkey flavours I've tried were alright though for American style crafts. I did see it on tap at a bar in Burlington awhile back though, but it was a work deal so drinking wasn't an option. I'm pretty sure it's on tap at one or two bars here in Hamilton as well (Winking Judge comes to mind). It's too bad the LCBO can't/won't sell it right now. Apparently it has something to do with the packaging and/or name if I remember correctly, I think read it on the LCBO's website awhile back.

No' date=' I haven't tried it. The few Flying Monkey flavours I've tried were alright though for American style crafts. I did see it on tap at a bar in Burlington awhile back though, but it was a work deal so drinking wasn't an option. I'm pretty sure it's on tap at one or two bars here in Hamilton as well (Winking Judge comes to mind). It's too bad the LCBO can't/won't sell it right now. Apparently it has something to do with the packaging and/or name if I remember correctly, I think read it on the LCBO's website awhile back.

[/quote']

Ya, the name is considered offensive to some, which has disrupted its distribution. Smash Bomb is my favourite Canadian-made IPA - it has elements of Hoptical Illusion, which Flying Monkey refers as a near-IPA, but it's hoppier and hits harder (but is really tasty). On tap is the ideal way to drink it, and the colder the better.