Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

Ottawa's got a new micro-brewery: Broadhead Brewing.

Anyone tried this? After initial high hopes I'm disappointed after my last visit.

A couple of weekends ago I picked up growlers of the Wildcard Ale and Amber Ale. The Wildcard was great but the Amber Ale wasn't carbonated enough and had a strong yeast smell/taste, profoundly different from the taste I sampled at the brewery. I tossed about half the growler.

I figured the bad beer was an anomaly and picked up 2 more growlers this weekend (Underdog Pale Ale) after giving my feedback. I opened the first one and it was under carbonated as well. It also had that yeast smell going on but wasn't as pronounced as the Amber so I drank it but it wasn't great, or even good.

I think I'll wait a month or two before going back until they have their quality control with the growlers in order.

One of the brewmasters at Broadhead is a colleague of mine and from what I understand, the lack of carbonation is by design as they're trying to highlight the flavour of the beer itself. I haven't been able to taste anything since they went commercial, but tried several recipes during their testing phase. I thought they were very good at that point, but not great. Something interesting that they are doing is varying the variety of hops in their pale ale, which is more out of necessity I think than inspiration. They're currently using Australian Galaxy hops as opposed to the Citra which they started with due to an American hops shortage. It should make for some interesting comparisons for the beer aficionados.

One of the brewmasters at Broadhead is a colleague of mine and from what I understand, the lack of carbonation is by design as they're trying to highlight the flavour of the beer itself.

That may be but it doesn't preclude the possibility that I just got a bad batch of beer. The carbonation on the Wildcard (with the delicious Galaxy hops) was fine. The Amber and Underdog were not drinkable.

However, I just waited until now to open the 2nd growler of Underdog and it's a lot better. Just carbonated enough and the overly yeasty smell and taste isn't there (well, maybe a little). I wonder if letting it sit for 2 weeks helped any??

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bagochips, I thought of you last week. There is a new Kichesippi at the Elmdale you have to try. Yum.

Is that the Wuchak Black?

Wuchak Black – Bitter, Strong and Black

Wuchak Black is the latest specialty brew from brewmaster Don Harms. This beer will be arriving annually to Ottawa in mid January and will be gone before spring arrives. The style is Cascadian Dark Ale, also known as a Black IPA or an American Black Ale.

The pitch black colour introduces you to roasted malt flavours, but with a major hop presence you would expect from an IPA. At 6.4% and 76 IBU’s, you can appreciate this beer being described as bitter, strong and black.

What the heck is a Wuchak? Wuchak is a term used by First Nations People and over time, wuchak was slowly transformed into the term – woodchuck. When you drive around Ottawa, you will often notice these groundhogs (aka woodchucks) popping up out of their burrows along the Queensway and the Hunt Club parkway.

You can enjoy this beer on tap at select locations around Ottawa or stop by and pick up a growler fresh from the brewery.

Aloha,

Brad