Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

Has anyone ever tried any beer cocktails?

I forgot all about my black russian recipe that uses beer.

2 oz vodka

1 - 1.5 oz kahlua

3 oz stout (St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout or Guiness work fine)

2 - 3 oz cola

on ice

This drink helps get me through the long New Brunswick winters. Don't knock it until you try it!

• 2 weeks later...

Japanese beer for children - Kodomo no nomimono

Can you imagine these products being marketed overseas? With so much concern about “the children†these days we doubt that fake beer for kids would make it past the pitch stage at any beverage company. Well, almost any company. Sure, there’s the sparkling grape juice that kids sometimes get on New Years Eve in lieu of champagne, but to have it specifically marketed to kids is a different matter. While Americans would likely overreact and freak out, we haven’t seen any such reaction here in Japan and these drinks have been out for a couple of years now.

kodomo-no-nomimono1.jpg

Sangaria started their line of fake alcoholic drinks for kids with Kodomo no nomimono (Children’s drink), and has been successful enough to offer it in bottles, cans, and even six-packs. They also expanded the product line to include children’s versions of wine, champagne, and cocktails. The beer, flavored like apple juice, even foams at the top when poured into a glass!

Doesn’t the kid with the onigiri look alot surlier with a beer in front of him?

The differences between the West and Japan are often highlighted the most in the little things in life, and this is definitely one of them. Japan is well known for its group drinking culture, and this is actually a great way to include the kids during family celebrations. These are even sold at restaurants, which is ideal since most parties in Japan are done outside of the home. Of course, if find your four-year-old passed out in front of the TV with a pile of empty fake beer cans around him, it might be time for a kodomo no intervention.

Posted by Michael Keferl

Teens Get Drunk On Award-Winning Microbrew

Subtle Interplay Of All-Wheat Malt, Varietal Hops Goes Tragically Unappreciated

A case of MacTadcaster's Nut Brown Stout, a three-time winner at the Great American Beer Festival, was wasted on these local teens.

According to reports, Jared Rosenthal, Andrew Gobbola and Tracey Sheehan, 17-year-old seniors at East Brunswick High, obtained the beer from Rosenthal's refrigerator while his parents—bona-fide beer-lovers capable of fully relishing the subtle, hand-crafted taste of a MacTadcaster's—were away for the weekend.

Though none of the teens were able to comment on the Nut Brown Stout's chocolatey aroma or its surprisingly smoky almond finish, Rosenthal did say that it had "fucked him up majorly" and that he was "seriously payin' the price."

Added Gobbola: "Dude, I was ripped to the tits."

Despite consuming enormous quantities of the beer, the teens failed to detect the all-wheat malt that MacTadcaster's has developed over the years to give its beer "bottom." Further, none of them commented on the beer's uniquely dry, smoky hopping or the pleasant coffee highlights so often discussed among MacTadcaster's Nut Brown Stout cognoscenti.

Only the rich, robust texture of the beer drew any comment from the teens, with Sheehan overheard telling Rosenthal, "That beer is some thick shit."

MacTadcaster's Nut Brown Stout has won the Gold Medal for Best Small Batch Stout for three consecutive years at the Great American Beer Festival. John Winbourne, Chief Brewmaster at MacTadcaster's, said he was "shocked and disappointed" that the high-quality beer had wound up in the hands of unsophisticated, high school-age drinkers.

"Nobody the age of 17 can reasonably be expected to have the connoisseurship to detect even a fraction of the subtle complexities of our carefully aged stout," Winbourne said. "If they had guzzled our Honey Hefeweizen, a much simpler beer known for its plain, rumpled friendliness, the horror may have been muted somewhat."

"It's a tragedy, a real tragedy," said Steve Brauner, editor of Beer Aficionado magazine. "We're not talking about Bud Ice or Coors Light, or some mass-produced swill of a lager intended for crass high-school kids to get a cheap buzz off of. This is a complex, mature stout, whose creamy head alone is enough to overwhelm even the most experienced beer drinker."

"I can only hope those kids didn't drink it chilled," Brauner added. "Stouts are best enjoyed at room temperature."

According to sources within East Brunswick High School, the trio has previously been seen at night near the school's football field, drinking inexpensive domestic beers. "While such experimentation with alcohol is strongly discouraged," school principal Eileen Fleischer said, "at least these previous incidents only involved the three students getting wasted, as opposed to this senseless wasting of hand-crafted, award-winning beer."

Helmut Schildkraut is the experienced Bavarian farmer who harvested the hops in the MacTadcaster's twelve-pack at the peak of their mellow ripeness, then aged them in a oaken sherry cask for three months to maximally enhance their dignified flavor. Contacted at his home in the tiny German village of Gütbourg, he said: "Zis makes me very sad. Nein, der MacTadcaster's ist not fur der kinder. Ist fur der discriminating bier drinker only."

The Onion

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a six-pack (of 341 mL bottles) of a new (to me) one from Mill St.: a Belgian-style "Wit" (White) beer, made with wheat and flavoured with coriander and orange peel. They weren't chilled at the LCBO (the big one at Rideau and King Edward in Ottawa), so I haven't tried them yet.

Aloha,

Brad

mill street coffee porter baby

I've been thinking about trying that one, but I'm staying away from the darker (stout-end-of-the-scale) beers; pale ales are about as heavy as I want to get these days. (Their Tankhouse ale is good, but I'd love to see them make a slightly lighter IPA.)

Aloha,

Brad

mill street coffee porter baby

I've been thinking about trying that one' date=' but I'm staying away from the darker (stout-end-of-the-scale) beers; pale ales are about as heavy as I want to get these days. (Their Tankhouse ale is good, but I'd love to see them make a slightly lighter IPA.)

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Try the Mill St. Stock ale..totally tasty. Here's how they describe it:

A golden export-style ale made from only malt and hops, no fillers or adjuncts. A brilliant golden colour gives a “sparkling†appearance as the gas escapes from the glass. The natural sweetness of the malt is perfectly balanced by the bitterness derived from the hops. This beer represents the way blonde ales were made 100 years ago.

yeah they went back to bottles with creemore imbossed in the glass

i remember getting a lucky in a creemore bottle years ago. its still sitting in the garage, full lucky label but with creemore pressed in the glass.

i love beer. i love open wedding bars.

Try the Mill St. Stock ale..totally tasty.

Thanks. I've thought about trying that one, but I have bad memories of Molson Stock Ale, so I've been avoiding it, but the description sounds interesting, and it being "totally tasty" to you gives me a better feeling about it.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...

Try the Mill St. Stock ale..totally tasty. Here's how they describe it:

A golden export-style ale made from only malt and hops, no fillers or adjuncts. A brilliant golden colour gives a “sparkling†appearance as the gas escapes from the glass. The natural sweetness of the malt is perfectly balanced by the bitterness derived from the hops. This beer represents the way blonde ales were made 100 years ago.

The natural sweetness of the malt? Its so overpowering you dont even taste the bitterness of the hops... im a big thumbs down on this one... thank heavens I tried it at an open bar wedding because id feel violated for paying for it... just my .02c

• 2 weeks later...

I have a can of "Devil's Pale Ale / 666" from Great Lakes Brewery on the go right now. From the label:

666 kilograms of malt

6.66 kilograms of hops

66.6 minutes of boiling

6.6.06 date of conception

It's not bad, but it's got more malt than I like (I'm searching for a good no-darker-than-amber IPA [sgt. Major IPA from Scotch-Irish Brewing is just about perfect]), and while they say it's "Much darker than a pale ale, but not as heavy as a dark ale", I think it's down to at least the brown ale end of the scale. Calling it a pale ale at all is wrong, IMO.

A few tastes later, and my opinion is going down a bit. The malt that's there is burnt-sweet, and the hops have more of a (bad) bitterness than the sharpness that you get in a good IPA.

I give them marks for the marketing/brewing concept (this one of the few cases I've ever seen where a brewing recipe was directly affected by [or involved in] the marketing concept [in terms of ad slogans] for the resulting beer), but it's just not to my taste. :thumbdown:

Aloha,

Brad