Jambands.ca

yayyyyyy God

Deeps

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather liked the bit towards the end where he implored those in attendance to go to a "real university" instead :laugh:

He's very very very good at what he does

Yeah. Overall I'm partial to Dawkins. I do have reservations about some of the assumptions underpinning The God Delusion/The Root of All Evil, but they've already been discussed, so no real need to rehash them.

I rather liked the bit towards the end where he implored those in attendance to go to a "real university" instead :laugh:

ooh yeah ... that WAS good.

Overall I'm partial to Dawkins. I do have reservations about some of the assumptions underpinning The God Delusion/The Root of All Evil, but they've already been discussed, so no real need to rehash them.

I hear ya. I'm not 100% down with everything he says/argues either, but much closer to it than many other people i have heard try to defend their case in such a subject.

Do creationists go to the "Evolve" Festival??? or do they go to festivals that just "appear" out of the darkness??

UGH ... those things were parodied so well on South Park a few years ago when Cartman started up the christian rock band. See that episode if you haven't ... you'll love it. We could make tons of $$ vending shit at these things :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Rock_Hard

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=south+park+Rock+Hard&search=Search

709_Christian_Rock_Hard---Album_Cover.jpg

Kingdom Bound??? Shit, i may not be disabled or

underprivileged, but as a family member you can send meto attend one day of Kingdom Bound for only $28!!! (what great targets) http://www.kingdombound.org/friend.html

Save Me !!!!

I thought the Dawkins' talk was interesting and he pulled me in more as he went along but he also tended to come across as a bully and that was only reinforced by the mostly pro-Dawkins crowd. I don't really get off on any group of people being mocked and it felt like that's what was happening towards the end.

Really? There may have been some vocal Dawkins supporters in the crowd (juevenile screams from the balcony like at the Grammy awards ) but did you hear more than a couple "pro-Dawkins" questions??? He was in Lynchburg, VA and in "enemy territory" so to speak. To field questions/statements/bullyishness for almost an hour and half is totally commendable, IMHO. He had every right to bite back with trivial, non-sensical, questions like "what if you're wrong?" I thought that he was very respectable and didn't resort to name-calling or belittling comments that weren't called for.

Listen to the Liberty College questions and they had "crafted" them well ahead of time in an attempt to "trap" Dawkins. He was able to come back at each one of them with reason and well thought answers that were on the fly.

I am not trying to say that Dawkins is an absolute authority when it comes to the topic. However, i do think that he comes to his conclusions in a much more reasoned and scientific manner than do his opponents to the extreme opposite. I hate the "I know you are, but what am I?" or "Yeah, so?" type of debate.

I'm referring to the rapturous applause and hollering Dawkins received whenever he responded to one of the Liberty students. It came across to me like, "take that sucker!" Dawkins is a great orator, no doubt, but I don't think he was providing substantive enough answers to warrant that level of support. There was no "slam dunk". That's me though.

I also think Dawkin's could have handled the dumb question, "What if you're wrong?" a little more graciously. I don't see the point in being a prick to the group of people he was debating, because then that's all they're going to remember about him.

Hey ... Sly Stallone is born again???? The Church is the gym of the soul?!?!?!

The marketing of "Rocky": The release date for Sylvester Stallone's final installment of the Rocky story -- "Rocky Balboa" comes out Dec. 22 -- is no coincidence. The film is being marketed directly to Christian audiences, and the Christmastime opening is a part of that effort. Church groups have been provided with study guides and special screenings, and Stallone himself has been reaching out to the faith community to peddle his boxer's tale; in a recent teleconference with religious leaders, he admitted his own faith had influenced the Rocky story greatly. "The more I go to church and the more I turn myself over to the process of believing in Jesus and listening to His Word and having Him guide my hand, I feel as though the pressure is off me now," he said. "You need to have the expertise and the guidance of someone else. You cannot train yourself. I feel the same way about Christianity and about what the church is: The church is the gym of the soul." (RockyResources, CitizenLink via Drudge)

Edited by Guest

I'm referring to the rapturous applause and hollering Dawkins received whenever he responded to one of the Liberty students. It came across to me like, "take that sucker!" Dawkins is a great orator, no doubt, but I don't think he was providing substantive enough answers to warrant that level of support. There was no "slam dunk". That's me though.

I also think Dawkin's could have handled the dumb question, "What if you're wrong?" a little more graciously. I don't see the point in being a prick to the group of people he was debating, because then that's all they're going to remember about him.

Ditto.

Had the exact same thoughts when listening to his responses during the question period.

Has anyone seen "what the bleep?" I like how they state that the church and science could bury the hatchet with the discoveries and mysticsm around quantum physics.

Dawkins isn't trying to make ammends he trying to flex his POV's muscle. Not very peaceful.

Deeps

Has anyone seen "what the bleep?" I like how they state that the church and science could bury the hatchet with the discoveries and mysticsm around quantum physics.

Yeah, that bit interested me and I did some reading up on Wikipedia before my eyes glazed over and I was out for the night.

One of the first writers that helped pull me into religious studies was Fritjof Capra , whose Tao of Physics: an Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism I still find a good read. It skirts the potential flakiness of the subject pretty well, imo (and there's plenty of the flakiness around).

I wonder if it's on any Intelligent Design blacklists.

So that whole story of Suni's burned alive was..........

Bullshit! Fabricated and False. There source for the story on the Iraqi police force does not even exists!

Hmmmmmmmm....... (I smell the Bush propaganda machine at work)

--------------------------------------

Iraqis to monitor press for truth

Associated Press

BAGHDAD - Iraq's Interior Ministry said yesterday it had formed a special unit to monitor news coverage and vowed to take legal action against journalists who failed to correct stories the ministry deemed to be incorrect.

Brig. Gen. Abdul-Karim Khalaf, spokesman for the ministry, said the purpose of the special monitoring unit was to find "fabricated and false news that hurts and gives the Iraqis a wrong picture that the security situation is very bad, when the facts are totally different."

He said offenders would be notified and asked to "correct these false reports on their main news programs. But if they do not change those lying, false stories, then we will seek legal action against them."

Khalaf explained the news monitoring unit at a weekly Ministry of Interior briefing. As an example, he cited coverage by the Associated Press of an attack Nov. 24 on a mosque in the Hurriyah district in northwest Baghdad.

The AP reported that six Sunni Muslims there were burned alive during the attack. The story quoted witnesses and police Capt. Jamil Hussein.

Khalaf said the ministry had no one on its staff by the name of Jamil Hussein.

"Maybe he wore an MOI (Ministry of Interior) uniform and gave a different name to the reporter for money," Khalaf said.

AP Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll rejected the accusation. "The implication that we may have given money to the captain is false. The AP does not pay for information," she said.

Khalaf said the ministry had dispatched a team to the Hurriyah neighborhood and to the morgue but found no witnesses or evidence of burned bodies.

The spokesman said the ministry had a large public relations staff and said they should be contacted by the media to "get real, true news."

Story link

Edited by Guest

'A video game that depicts a crusade of violence by Christians could be heading for the bestseller charts this Christmas, even though it has been condemned by Muslims and secularists. Players are ordered to convert or kill to advance to the next level and remodel America as a Christian-controlled state, and establish its world vision of Christ's dominion' - The Times.

'A video game that depicts a crusade of violence by Christians could be heading for the bestseller charts this Christmas, even though it has been condemned by Muslims and secularists. Players are ordered to convert or kill to advance to the next level and remodel America as a Christian-controlled state, and establish its world vision of Christ's dominion'

646478b.jpg

11111left_behind_carnage_qjgenth.jpg

The Times article quote notes that it has been condemned by 'Muslims and secularists', which it thankfully has been. Worth noting, too, is that there has been a large campaign and pretty much universal condemnation against it by moderate Christians as well.

The Times article quotes notes that it has been condemned by 'Musliums and secularists', which it thankfully has been. Worth noting, too, is that there has been a large campaign and pretty much universal condemnation against it by moderate Christians as well.

I dunno, that game looks kinda cool.

How is it any worse than what you can already do in Grand Theft Auto?

HA!!! I looked at that the other day at the store, and had no Idea it was so heavy on the religon. It is also packaged with the "Best Selling Book" the game is based on... I bet it's a mock bible!...

Hillarious... they're takin' it to the streets, just like the Army, Sports Leagues, D&D Freaks, and Soduku Entusiasts! Medievil Total war is WAYYY better... fuck that's a good game. Take that god!!! I concured Europe without the help of you and your damn Pope who kept excommunicating me!!!