Jambands.ca

yayyyyyy God

Deeps

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score one for the good guys (or at least against the bad guys).

Topeka Church to Pay Marine Funeral Costs

Anti-Gay-Funeral-Protest-2.jpg

BALTIMORE (AP) -- A federal judge in Baltimore is ordering Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church to pay more than $3,000 in costs related to the funeral of a Marine the group picketed.

Albert Snyder of York, Pennsylvania, is suing because church members demonstrated at the funeral of his son, Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder. Church members also posted pictures of the protest on their Web site.

Corporal Snyder was killed in Iraq in March.

The lawsuit was filed in June. It says church members violated the family's right to privacy and defamed the Marine and his family at the funeral and on the church's Web site.

Court documents say the church has 30 days to make the payment to Snyder.

Their logic had apparently been that they would picket funerals of anyone killed in service of a country that protected homosexuals.

Here's the website his father set up; on it is a set of the legal documents from the proceedings. Check this bit out from the original Complaint:

"17. The defendants protest military funerals because, according to the defendants:

"These turkeys are not heroes. They are lazy, incompetent idiots looking for jobs because they're not qualified for honest work.

They were raised on a steady diet of fag propaganda in the home, on TV, in church, in school, in mass media - everywhere - the two-pronged lie: 1) it's OK to be gay; and, 2) Anyone saying otherwise, like WBC, is a hatemonger who must be vilified, demonized, marginalized into silence.

Therefore, with the full knowledge of what they were doing, they voluntarily joined a fag-infested army to fight for a fag-run country now utterly and finally forsaken by God who himself is fighting against that country...."

Talk about "lazy, incompetent idiots looking for jobs because they're not qualified for honest work." What do these people do for a living, anyway?

Fucking religion, forever and always a means to remove individual responsibility and thus promote absolute inhumane acts.

Dickheads.

Funny, religion gives me an ability to find beauty in life by giving me a sense of community and a place where i feel i belong, in a life that gets sadder each and every day.

oh well, blanket statements are easy to make, i guess.

Whatever induces the most visceral panic in them.

No, maybe not - they'd probably go out and hurt some random stranger.

Funny, religion gives me an ability to find beauty in life by giving me a sense of community and a place where i feel i belong, in a life that gets sadder each and every day.

Yeah, but that's because you're sane and have a healthy appreciation the basic goodness of life. We're limiting our comments here to the wingnuts ;) .

Hamilton: I'd like to leave it ambiguous if I could, partly because that's where the humour lies (for myself, at least) and partly because I don't want to be construed as endorsing sexual assault in any capacity.

DEM: I'm loving that Nietzsche on Christianity book you lent me. So much to comment on ...

Hamilton: I'd like to leave it ambiguous if I could, partly because that's where the humour lies (for myself, at least) and partly because I don't want to be construed as endorsing sexual assault in any capacity.

I know. I'm just yanking your chain - and I'll leave that ambiguous too! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

"Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase

exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

"This gives two possibilities:

"1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

"2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

"So which is it?

"If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that: 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that

since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct -- leaving only Heaven, thereby

proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God!' "

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

If it ain't god's will, it must be satan's. NEVER blame yerself!:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4820131.html

May 20, 2007, 1:10PM

Mom blames Satan for burning baby in microwave

GALVESTON — A woman blames the devil and not her husband for severely burning their infant daughter after the 2-month-old was put in a microwave, a Houston television station reported.

Eva Marie Mauldin said Satan compelled her 19-year-old husband, Joshua Royce Mauldin, to microwave their daughter May 10 because the devil disapproved of Joshua's efforts to become a preacher.

"Satan saw my husband as a threat. Satan attacked him because he saw (Joshua) as a threat," Eva Mauldin told Houston television station KHOU-TV.

A Galveston County grand jury indicted Joshua Mauldin last week on child injury charges after hearing evidence that he placed his daughter in a motel microwave for 10 to 20 seconds.

The infant, Ana Marie, remains hospitalized. She suffered burns on the left side of her face and to her left hand, police said.

Eva Marie Mauldin, the girl's 20-year-old mother, told the television station that her husband is "not the monster people are making him out to be."

"That was not my husband; my husband is a wonderful father," she said. "Satan was working through his weaknesses."

Eva Maudlin described those weaknesses as an undisclosed mental disability, and that her efforts to get help for him have failed.

Police said Joshua Mauldin told them he put Ana Marie in the microwave because he was under stress. The family had arrived in Galveston the day before.

Eva Maudlin, who met her husband in an Arkansas church, denied those claims by police.

"He would never do anything to hurt her. He loves her," she said. "When she cries he is the one who comforts her. When she is sick, he is the one that takes her to the doctor."

Joshua Mauldin, of Warren, Ark., came to Galveston with his wife and mother because he was called to be a preacher, his wife said. While Joshua Mauldin's mother has returned to Arkansas, Eva Mauldin remains in Galveston.

She is hoping to be reunited with her daughter, but Child Protective Services is working to have her and Joshua Mauldin's parental rights severed. A custody hearing for the infant is scheduled for later this week in a Galveston district court.

Joshua Mauldin faces a charge of injury to a child causing serious bodily harm, which carries a possible prison term of five to 99 years, as well as a fine of up to $10,000.

Eva Mauldin has set up a MySpace page, "Joshua Mauldin is not a Monster," in hopes of defending her husband and making pleas for people to help her.

Mermaid Statue Draped in Muslim Dress

May 20 10:28 PM

D8P8G87O0.jpg

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - The Little Mermaid statue in Denmark's capital was found draped in a Muslim dress and head scarf Sunday morning. Police removed the clothing after a telephone caller reported it, spokesman Jorgen Thomsen said.

The statue sculpted in tribute to author Hans Christian Andersen draws about 1 million visitors a year and is targeted occasionally by vandals. On Tuesday, the statue's face, left arm and lap were found doused with red paint.

In 2004, someone put a burqa, the head-to-toe Islamic robe, on the statue, along with a sign questioning Turkey's bid to join the European Union.

The bronze statue by Edvard Eriksen has sat on a rock in Copenhagen harbor since 1913.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

That's whacked on a variety of levels, and kind of funny at the same time :) .

I gather Turkey's in a weird place right now, in terms of Islamisation; I do hope they're able to resist the drift away from secularism, though, if only because the kind of Islam they'd get pulled into doesn't strike me as terribly, well, nuanced.