Jambands.ca

Flowers by the side of the road.

StoneMtn

i think it a tad bit crude that we even consider telling people how they can grieve and what they can or can't do to show their sadness. what's the world coming to?

grief is a very personal thing, and because of that, the ontario government has no place to step in and erect a monument.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all die. Sometimes in worse ways than others. It's important to be reminded of this, sometimes.

i myself think it is nice when you know a person was killed by a drunk driver especially to place flowers at the site

here there are fresh flowers all the time in summer that is probably family members and close friends

one case like that has stopped a person from drinking all together, as he had to travel the same highway and see the flowers at the spot it happened, respect for the person that was killed

no matter how they die we do not foreget

prayers

the monuments are going to be erected on the request of the family, they also have to pay to have them out up and maintained, I think they were saying the cost would be around a one time fee of $500

And I wouldnt say its telling people how to greve, Its keeping trash of the sides of our highways, that a a huge visual distraction, depressing ( to some people), morbid, and unnessasary. not to mention dangerous.

The property that there on is governemt property. I understand if you want to greeve but that what chruches, cemetaries, and lots of outher places are for, not the side of the road

i don't condone the monuments, but if someone feels better putting flowers on the side of the road because they are sad, than that is ok with me. i can handle being depressed about it, cuz i know, that my depression nowhere equals theirs, in the loss of their loved one.

We all die. Sometimes in worse ways than others. It's important to be reminded of this, sometimes.

i myself think it is nice when you know a person was killed by a drunk driver especially to place flowers at the site

here there are fresh flowers all the time in summer that is probably family members and close friends

one case like that has stopped a person from drinking all together, as he had to travel the same highway and see the flowers at the spot it happened, respect for the person that was killed

no matter how they die we do not foreget

prayers

that why we have cematairies to have a place to leave flowers and pay respect to people who are dead, regardless of how they died, and on top of the the momorials arn't uausually in the exact place the person died, they dont have them in the middle of the road, they uausually off to the side of the road.

so if there already moving it then its not even in the place the person died

i don't condone the monuments, but if someone feels better putting flowers on the side of the road because they are sad, than that is ok with me. i can handle being depressed about it, cuz i know, that my depression nowhere equals theirs, in the loss of their loved one.

thats cool, and to be honest if someone just wanted to leave some flowers on the side of the road it would be fine with me, but there not just flowers, there are crosses, piles of flowers, pictures, stuffd toys, and other junk piled up. also stopping for any reason on the highway is very dangerous, and I would be pretty upset if I got into an accident because of some person stopping on the side of the raod to put flowers, in the spot clost to where someone died

that makes an eye sore for me, and I respect there depression but just cause your depressed, doesnt mean I should be too

well said.

one of my pet peeves, is when strangers lives affect mine, in a negative way.

passing these memorials bring me down, change my mood, make me think ( could be good) and just plain freek me out.

I dont want to know the exact place people died. I dont want to rememder where these memorials are and have to try and make sure i'm looking the other way when I pass one or five going to my cottage.

maybe i'm selfish or an asshole, but i know alot of other people agree with me.

Tons of people get killed every year for various reasons, no one is going around trying to put up memorials for them. sure a person killed by a drunk driver is tragic, but so is a kids mother droping dead infront of them from a heart attack. or childern being kidnapped and killed.

I respect peoples right to greeve and want to be able to vist the place there loved one died, but it shouldnt affect me.

they could easily put those grave stones that sit flat on the ground, and you wouldnt be able to see it from the road, there are alot of things they could do, but they want to litter our streets with signs,

also, how many of those do you think the person even died, maybe they died in the hospital, or on the way, or a week later.

are those memorials only exclusivly for people who died right there?

cause if that was the case i'm sure alot of those meorials would be gone

that why we have cematairies to have a place to leave flowers and pay respect to people who are dead, regardless of how they died, and on top of the the momorials arn't uausually in the exact place the person died, they dont have them in the middle of the road, they uausually off to the side of the road.

i know i know i know

cematairies are very expensive, a plot her is like 900.00,i have an extra one want to buy it cheap

I have one already, and there are other ways besides a cemetery. I have my old dogs ashes in a urn, on the shelf in my basement.

i had a friend who was cremated, and then his ashes we spread some place.. ( not at the side of a road)

there are lots of other options besides cemetery. besides its not about the cost, its not like if the family has no money there just going to leave the body at the side of the road

Wow is all I have to say to some of the above comments...

I agree completely with everything Birdy said. Grief is a personal thing.

I would certainly disagree with the comment that the majority of memorials "littered" at the side of the road are put there by strangers. I have lost a friend in a car accident, and while I do not leave flowers behind (as I have other ways of remembering/paying tribute), I cannot even begin to imagine lecturing someone about the way in which they process their grief. Death and grieving should not have to be hidden. There are lots of things in life that bother me, or make me feel uncomfortable. I deal with it, or choose to ignore it. It's all part and parcel of sharing this world with others I figure.

yes everyone has to grieve, but where do you draw the line? as someone said, if we put a marker everywhere someone has ever died, there would be nothing but markers all over the place. it doesn't really make sense, does it?

i really don't care if people leave stuff by the road, it doesn't distract me at all personally. but i just don't see that it makes all that much sense...esp. if it starts happening everywhere.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing body outlines marking the spot where every single pedestrian lost their life at the hands of a speeding motorist - even name the fucking idiot speeding-addicted asshhole in paint beside the outline. For instance, the Danforth in Toronto is a pedestrian area with shops, restaurants, schools along with thriving neighbourhoods, but cars speed excessively down the street every minute of every day. People are getting run-over too. Get people outraged. Get drivers to think. So what if it's a fucking eyesore.

I don't agree with a mandatory plaque implemented by the government. Now that's weird and creepy as far as I'm concerned. Who decides who is "worthy" of a commemorated plaque after all? But families or friends, or even sympathetic strangers paying tribute with a flower or two, I really don't see the harm in that.

there not manditory, there just offering them to the familes.

also i'd like to add this program has been going on in i think NB and one other province for a while.

and in regards to edgar. I"m not saying people dont have the right to greeve, but it shouldn't be done at my cost. If my friend died in the middle of young st, and I decided to sit there and greeve for them, i'm sure a cop would ask me to move failrly quickey. greeving is suposto be a person thiing for people to do with the frainds and family, I think its very wrong to force people who are just trying to get to work to be a part of there greeving process

I have one already, and there are other ways besides a cemetery. I have my old dogs ashes in a

urn, on the shelf in my basement.

totally agree with cremation, is there a spot beside your dog for my urn?

very beautifull to keep the ashes of man woman or child and animals are to be respected in the same way

1.As long as the tributes that are left are not going to harm the environment (like leaving plastic wrapping behind) or disrupt traffic in any significant way, then I think people should be allowed to express themselves how they see fit. It reminds me of the Ben Harper lyric in his song "Burn One Down"- and if I'm causing no harm it shouldn't bother you!"

2.The fact that these symbols cause certain emotions in people is not the fault of the person who left them there. Your own negative interpretation of the sites is your own problem to deal with. I hope someone leaves tigerlillies by my favourite tree (which is near a road) when I die. Not to make people sad that I'm gone, but as a symbol of who I was and the things I valued.

3.The method that other people choose to express their grief is no one's concern but their own, unless they begin to harm others. If I want to go do backflips on my great-grandmothers grave to entertain her spirit then that is my choice, as long as I don't land on anyone else's plot. Other people can choose to watch or not, that's their perrogative.

4.Not all people are comfortable going to places like churches, synagogues or cemetaries. People should not be limited to performing grieving rites in these locations as it infringes upon basic rights and freedoms inherent in our way of life.

1.As long as the tributes that are left are not going to harm the environment (like leaving plastic wrapping behind) or disrupt traffic in any significant way, then I think people should be allowed to express themselves how they see fit. It reminds me of the Ben Harper lyric in his song "Burn One Down"- and if I'm causing no harm it shouldn't bother you!"

2.The fact that these symbols cause certain emotions in people is not the fault of the person who left them there. Your own negative interpretation of the sites is your own problem to deal with. I hope someone leaves tigerlillies by my favourite tree (which is near a road) when I die. Not to make people sad that I'm gone, but as a symbol of who I was and the things I valued.

3.The method that other people choose to express their grief is no one's concern but their own, unless they begin to harm others. If I want to go do backflips on my great-grandmothers grave to entertain her spirit then that is my choice, as long as I don't land on anyone else's plot. Other people can choose to watch or not, that's their perrogative.

4.Not all people are comfortable going to places like churches, synagogues or cemetaries. People should not be limited to performing grieving rites in these locations as it infringes upon basic rights and freedoms inherent in our way of life.

1st, they are harming the enviroment, ther are tons of plasci stuff at them. and other garbage that no one cleans up, one of the memorials on the way to my cottgae looks like a garbage can spilled on it, i dont see the familes keeping them clean. and they do disrupt traffic, by causeing people to slow down to look at them or to take there eyes off the road to try and read what they say. also people have to stop somewhere on the highway to put them up, or add stuff to them, which is also very very dangerous.

2, It has nothing to do with my negitive interpertation of the site. its a grave, no matter how you look at it,, its set u with the sole pourpose of drawing attention the the fact that some person died in that spot, no matter how you look at it or who you are thats going ot make you feel bad. the same way a grave stone would cause most peiople to think of death, and for the same reason we dont have a plaque every place someone has died, it just plain morbid.

3. not nessicarly, when people start littering the highways with garbage, in the name of a dead person, it affects my life, when i have to drive past them and see them, it disrupts my life. when i feel depressed after seeing them, it affects me, saying that its not my concerin how people creeve is assinine, considering they do affect me, and alot of other people, i understadn that the pople who lost someone want to greever and do whatever, but signs on the side of the road deffinalt affect me. and make my drive less safe. so saying they dont harm other people is untrue, because you cant measure the amount of harm they cause me or have the potintial to.

4. no one said you have to go to a church or cemitary to greeve, but people have houses, there is nature, a special spot, like your tree. no one is saying they have to go to a specifif place to greeve, there just saying that it shouldnt be in the form of a sign on the side of a highway. if the family wanted to hold a momorial serivce on the side of the road, and took the approiate actions, (hiring police, controling traffic, or doing at a low traffic time) no one would care. its the fact that thses signs just sit there and sit there and more and more every year get added. and telling a person that the can't greeve in a potentially dangerous way or a manner that may cause harm to othes doesnt not infringes upon basic rights and freedoms inherent in our way of life in any way

well its basically the same thing, its a marker put somewhere to cause people to pay attention to the fact a person died there

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Memorials)

For other uses, see Memorial (disambiguation).

A memorial is an object served as a memory of something, usually a person (who has died) or an event.

Popular forms of memorials include landmark objects such as statues or fountains. The most common type of memorial is the GRAVESTONE. Also common are war memorials commemorating those that have died in wars. Memorials in form of a cross are called intending crosses.

Ok...I'm not reading this whole thing...

This project was started by MADD Canada for people killed by drunk drivers. Next of kin will be contacted by MADD Canada, after a conviction and ask if they would like a plaque erected. The Ministry of Transportation is helping with the installation. That's why the GOVT is involved.

so if I repeated any info...sorry...but I didn't want to read the whole thread.