rubberdinghy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

apparently these mofos will be going for $20 at the Works in October:

Beckta Burger

From executive chef Michael Moffatt, Beckta Dining & Wine

Makes 3 burgers

- 3 ounces (85 g) foie gras

- 21 ounces (600 g) organic ground beef (available at Saslove's on Wellington Street; may substitute ordinary lean ground beef)

- Large handful, baby Swiss chard leaves (or other tender greens)

- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) truffle-infused olive oil

- 3 soft hamburger buns, toasted if desired

- 3 slices organic field-ripened tomato, each 1/4-inch (6-mm) thick

- 6 slices smoked bacon, fried to crispy

- 3 tablespoons (50 mL) peach chutney (recipe here)

1. Quickly pulse (one pulse should do it) foie gras in a food processor, or chop fine by hand. Transfer to a bowl and mix with ground beef. Form into 3 patties; set aside.

2. In a small clean bowl, toss baby salad greens with truffle-infused oil; set aside.

3. Preheat grill and cook meat until patties are done and no trace of pink remains inside (internal meat temperature: 160°F/71°C). To

assemble burger, place a patty on each bun, followed by 1 tomato slice, 2 strips of crispy bacon, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of peach chutney, and baby greens.

Foie Gras Poutine

Serves 4 as side dish

- 1 pound (450 g) Yukon Gold potatoes

- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable oil, for deep frying

- One 398-mL can St-Hubert poutine gravy

- 2 ounces (60 g) foie gras, diced and lightly seared

- Salt, pepper

- 3 ounces (85 g) St. Albert cheese curds

Note: For safety, we recommend using an electric deep-frying appliance and following the manufacturers directions.

1. Peel and cut potatoes into french-fry size sticks. Rinse in cold water, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Pour cold oil into electric deep-fryer appliance, or into a deep pot with straight sides. Place sliced potato in cool oil -- in batches if necessary; do not overcrowd -- and heat to 350°F (180°C). Cook until potato is tender, limp yet still white, then transfer to a baking sheet to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, increase oil temperature to 375°F (190°C).

3. When ready to serve, heat gravy on stovetop in a saucepan until bubbling, add half of the foie gras and stir until melted. Return fries to the hot oil and cook until crisp and golden brown. When done, transfer fries to a bowl lined with clean paper towels; season to taste with salt, pepper, and toss.

4. To serve, place french fries in bowl, top with remaining foie gras and cheese curds. Cover with gravy and serve hot.

Corn and Peach Chutney

Serves 6 to 8 as burger topping

- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil

- 1 large cooking onion, or 2 medium-size, diced fine (total 8 ounces/225 g)

- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen or fresh corn kernels

- 8 peaches, pitted, each cut into 8 wedges

- 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey

- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar

- 1 bunch fresh sage, leaves only, chopped

- Salt and pepper

1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add corn and peaches and stir to coat with oil. Sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.

2. Add honey and vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until syrupy, about 45 minutes. (Peaches will soften and break apart while stirring.) Add chopped fresh sage, season with salt and pepper.

• 2 months later...

So I hit The Works on Bank Street before Jethro Tull last night. To my surprise, they served booze, which I did not expect for some reason but was happy about it.

I was impressed by the menu and all the possibilities to choose from. I went with the Dead Ringer with 2 slices of smoked Bacon. It was a nice portion of burger which definately made me full along with the oinion ring opener and fries on the side.

The only downfall I experienced was the lack of juice in my burger and I didn't think the fries (normal or sweet) were very good.

I will go back.

I enjoy Hero Certified Bugers every now and then, and I had a Bacon-ator today for lunch at work, wasnt too bad but didnt make me want to scream out like a little girl at a spice girls concert( when they were in there prime :P ) like the comercial seems show, I have also ate at Dangerous Dans a couple times after a late night of partying always Good!! I will have the check out the works ! Sounds super good

side note but the Real Jerk right accross from Dangerous Dans is kick ass place to eat aswell!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
With the first bite I found myself going through a crunchy/juicy layer after layer and the texture was to die for. Everything just worked. Clouds split as a bright ray of sunshine beamed down to my table. The elderly couple a few tables over started playing a harp as a unicorn walked by during my second bite. I was in heaven for a few seconds then the guilt hit me. Was I really doing this? 4 sandwiches at once? I had to stop. There was no way I could finish this monster.

hahahhahahhaa

• 3 weeks later...

I finally hit up the South Street Burger today for lunch. It wasn't exactly what I had expected (I was picturing the works). It was more like a hamburger subway, pick your own toppings behind glass set-up.

I'm not a big fry guy, most times I would go for two sandwiches (depending on where and what and how much) and this place even has the NY Fries affiliation. I wanted cheese and bacon on the burger (both extra $) so I ended up getting just the burger and a small drink.

This was almost $9.00

The sauce selection was excellent, horseraddish mayo, wassabi mayo, red pepper basil sauce, plus many more.

The burger itself was decent, but just as my prior visit to the works, the burger was dry, maybe I need to start requesting some moisture.

I doubt I'll go back, the search continues......