Crock Pot

Ms.Huxtable

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

So....

I've made a few things in my damn crockpot....

One thing I can tell you is everything comes out tasting like pure and utter shite.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG....

Chili...garbage

Stew...close to the toilet

Chicken...blech

The only thing that worked so far was a tomato sauce...for meatballs and spaghetti....

If I put chunks of potato in a stew and cook for 9 hours, should they still be hard?

WHAT GIVES?

are you using seasoning?

taste near the end of the cooking cycle and if you don't taste the flavour, you need some flavour enhancer known as the magical seasoning of salt and pepper.

So add a bit of salt. It's always best to use coarse ground kosher salt as it's much harder to over salt. There is more play room. I usually start with either a quarter or half-teaspoon. If you don't taste much in a crock pot, then a half teaspoon isn't going to over do it.

Stir it in and let it melt the flavours together. have another taste. If it's not enough. Add more. When you get to a point where you're tasting flavours, add smaller pinches until it's just right. Always ask your mate to give it a taste before you go over. Sometimes your taste buds are a little less sensitive to salt than other people so your best to under salt at that point.

basically, you're probably not salting TO TASTE.

Oh no he didn't!?!?!

Dinghy, I do think something is wrong with your crockpot, but I also know what you mean about crock pot meals tasting funny. I have had some good meatballs and good ribs, but everything else, that isn't smothered in BBQ sauce, just has a funny taste to it. I don't like the soups, stews, roasts and veggies near as much when they're made in a crock pot as I do when I make them on the stove or in the oven.

Convenient? Yes. Tasty, not really (except for Crystals ribs).

potatoes do often take awhile in the crockpot, a trick is to place them at the bottom underneth any meat, or cut them smaller.

and don't forget this recipe

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken

4 tsp. salt

2 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. thyme

1 tsp. white pepper

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 large roasting chicken, make sure it will fit in your size crockpot

1 cup chopped onion

In small bowl, thoroughly combine all spices.

Clean chicken well and remove giblets. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to cook put the chopped onion inside the chicken then put it in the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on the chicken will produce it's own juices.

Cook on low 8-10 hours( high 5-6). The chicken will be falling off the bones.

My additions

garlic cloves inside the chicken

carrots under the chicken

broiled the chicken for the last 5-10 minutes (just to brown the skin a little)

• 1 year later...