Jambands.ca

Becks to Hollywood

MattyC

sounds like semi-retirement to me

what the hell kind of crowds do they get in LA to be able to cover that bill i wonder?!?!

The MLS covers a portion of the cost to bring high profile players into the league and they even throw advertising deals at the player to drum up interest. Beckham is one the best investments the MLS has made since Mo Johnstone years ago. As ignorant to the game as most North American people are, Im sure this will attract alot of new viewers to the game. I just think LA was the wrong place to take him. They should have brought a big name latin player to LA and kept Becks on the east coast.

good points but there's no way posh was going to live anywhere other than LALA Land

"Good luck getting a ticket if LA comes to town. "

another good point, this could be the make or break point. Either it'll help the league gain a strong foothold in NA or it'll temporarily create an upsurge after which the interest will once again die out.

we'll see i guess

He won't play out the entire contract. He'll get hurt or retire. This is more about publicity than anything.

I thinking the same thing. It's one hell of a promo that will most likely go unoticed or fizzle out faster than Freddy Adu's hype. Beckham has more class in his left bootlace than some entire teams in that league so it should be fun to watch atleast for a little while. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets bored and goes back to Europe.

I have no problem with MLS signing these 'past their prime' dudes. If they can generate interest in the league and slowly become something that is meaningful enough where I am going to pay interest, all the power to them.

At the same time, maybe I do have an issue with it. 1 million per week for Beckham for 5 years? That is an insane amount of cash. Whatever. Good luck.

[color:purple] I guess LA really stuck it to Fergie, eh Barrett?

Signing of players past their prime isnt new for the MLS, they have been doing it since their first season. They signed a bunch of Brazilian players and a few Brits the first time through. Romario*, Bebeto* and Mo Johnstone come to mind.

* both players had just come off huge displays at the WC 94. Now that Im on it...FIFA even gave the americans the WC to help promote the new league.

Edited by Guest

Breakdown of salary

#

An annual salary of $10m

#

His existing sponsorship contracts with his four sponsors - Motorola, Pepsi, Gillette and Volkswagen - are estimated to be worth $25m

#

His merchandising shirt sales will bring in $10m

#

His share of the club profits: $10m

That adds up to $55m. Multiply it by five and you get $275m

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rumour Of The Day

'If fears over Wembley Stadium's readiness to stage the Cup Final on May 19 were not bad enough, the Football Association suffered a potentially even more damaging blow yesterday when it learnt of the prospect of David Beckham's image being used to promote a rival bid by the United States for the right to host the 2018 World Cup finals. Sunil Gulati, president of the United States Soccer Federation, said that while his country was prepared to stand in as hosts for the 2014 tournament should Brazil, the favourites, not be ready, their real target was 2018. And with Beckham joining the Los Angeles Galaxy in the summer, it would be unthinkable that they would not seek to exploit the presence of the former England captain' - The Times.

that's pretty good methinks

That's fucking excellent if you ask me! I love the idea of a pro-soccer league in North American doing well. Our lads need somewhere to hone their skills.

Anyways, even when the rumour started season ticket sales took a huge spike. Crazy. That is some serious star power.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...