Jambands.ca

Vegan Icing Sugar

Ms Zimmy

Why isn't icing sugar vegan? IIRC, it's just finely ground sugar. (In fact, if regular granulated sugar is vegan enough, you can make/fake your own icing sugar by just blasting it in a blender or food processor for a while.)

Or did you mean vegan icing? (My memories of Mom's baking including icing being composed of warm milk mixed with icing sugar. Presumably you could substitute soy milk for the cow's milk.)

Aloha,

Brad

Most white sugar is filtered through bone char.

http://www.askcarla.com/answers.asp?QuestionandanswerID=534

There are so many things I didn't know (animal by-products in so many things) and when I found out about bone char I decided to try tourbino sugar which is isn't refined or filtered, it usually comes in big chunks so I melt it in warm water before using in in my baking....I guess I could throw it in the blender and see what happens....I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but I like to bake and cook vegan sometimes..I find it challenging.

Hmmm...I didn't know that. I wonder if something like clear corn syrup could be used instead of sugar. It might impart a different taste (as well as just sweetness), and I'm not sure whether it's made with animal products, though.

Edit to add: The above assumes you're making icing. If you need to sprinkle it on, as a decoration, say, you'd need a powder, not a thick liquid.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

hey ms zimmy

what i've done in the past is throw your vegan sugar (ever tried sucanat? i really dig the stuff, though it does have a stronger flavour that may or may not suit your icing) in a coffee-grinder and buzz it like mad.

if you do a lot of vegan cooking, you might look into buying a good quality coffee grinder for herbs/spices/seeds/nuts/sugars/anything else required for delicious vegan cooking. try to find one that is designed to handle "fine espresso" grinds. i find making my own ground flax for egg replacement works *so* much better than buying milled flax from a health food store - the finer it's ground the better.

happy baking!

I've just started vegan cooking...and it's baking that I'm most interested in...The coffee grinder is a great idea...I will invest in one. Thanks :)

Oh and wicked suggestion about the flax seeds = egg replacements. How do you use it? I've been buying milled flax from H&S and just add it to all kinds of stuff, I didn't know you can substitute it for eggs. Awesome!

I've heard 2 things

1. organic sucanat (dehydrated cane juice), honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar are not refined

and

2. ALL sugar is refined sugar - including maple syrup, brown sugar, molases, honey, fructose etc

So, other then natural sugars, which is best

SO which is better for me? I use organic tourbino something rather from a natural food store...I'm pretty sure it says none filtered.