Jambands.ca

You Favourite Show

zero

geez, I dunno, there are some obvious choices - Phish @ Big Cypress was sublime in every respect, the Dead at Copps 3-22-90 changed my life, no exaggeration.

But sometimes things pop up from under the cracks, and when Brian Hamilton suggested we go check out Jonathan Richman at the Lula Lounge in TO a couple of years ago, I couldn't have expected what a show I would see. His sheer charm and open-hearted demeanour drew me in right away, and that goofy grin on his face told me that in a world of jaded musical veterans and egotistical indulgences, some people's love for their craft can crush those vanities effortlessy handily. He sang songs in french, spanish and english, occasionally just put down his guitar and danced, sang song after song that alternated between laughing and crying, and in the end it was a life-affirming night all about the power of music.

Didn't expect to get that much out of it but I still feel a buzz from that show today. Right on.

I don't think I could pick one defining "best show" I've ever seen.

But I have to give props to Phish. My first phish show ever was Portland Maine 12-30-93.

While most of that show I was just in shock at seeing this fucking crazy band. It was the second show that I was able to appreciate more, having gained my sea/phish legs.

My second was the next day's New Years show in Worchestrer Mass.

While both shows blew my mind and opened it to a whole other realm of "Jamband" outside of the Grateful Dead. I'd have to lean towards the New Years show.

They played 3 high energy sets. There never seemed to be any dull moments. While in later years they would make some slower songs that were good to sit down for or go to the wash room for(IMO). The NYE show seemed like a relentless pounding of zinger zfter zinger. The energy and spontanaity and general freshness of Phish definitely had me in awe.

AND,when they had the stage set up like a dayglo aquariam and floated down from the rafters in scuba gear and climbed into this gigantic clam, to start the count down, WTF, that was good.

12-31-93 Worcester Centrum, Worcester, MA

1: Llama, Guelah Papyrus, Stash, Ginseng Sullivan, Reba -> Peaches en Regalia, I Didn't Know, Run Like an Antelope*

2: Tweezer, Halley's Comet-> Poor Heart, It's Ice, Fee, Possum, Lawn Boy, You Enjoy Myself

3: Auld Lang Syne-> Down With Disease Jam#, Split Open and Melt, Lizards, Sparkle, Suzy Greenberg, HYHU-> Cracklin' Rosie-> HYHU, Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise

E: Golgi Apparatus, Amazing Grace

*With Tom Marshall on vocals. #Performed early so Mike could use the footage to make the video. This wasn't really an official debut of "Down With Disease"; the song was not played. 04-04-94 Burlington is the real debut.

Edited by Guest
wrong date

to throw in something other then Phish/Dead.

I'm gonna have to say Drive-By Truckers November 1st 2003 at The Horseshoe.

The bands second visit to Canada, more people in the crowd and a show that included some pretty rare songs and lasted nearly 3 hours!

Heathens

Sink Hole

Marry Me

(Something's Got To) Give Pretty Soon

Decoration Day

Ronnie and Neil

72 (This Highway's Mean)

Careless

Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Don't Be In Love Around Me

Steve McQueen

Women Without Whiskey

Carl Perkins' Cadillac

My Sweet Annette

Outfit

Danko/Manuel

The Living Bubba

Play It All Night Long (Warren Zevon)

Lookout Mountain

Uncle Frank

Let There Be Rock

Uncle Disney

The Night G.G. Allin Came To Town

Where The Devil Don't Stay

Why Henry Drinks

Shut Up and Get On The Plane

Greenville To Baton Rouge

People Who Died (Jim Carroll)

Angels and Fuselage

1555192131_l.jpg

GD 7.31.94 auburn hills....changed my life

PHish 12.11.97 rochester...such high energy, except the bullshit waste encore that took the life out of the barn

WSP 11/01/03 MSG NYC...an amazing george show (yes they do exist)

Mule Bonnaroo 05...the covers in the latter part pf the show were fuckin killer

Edited by Guest

I'll be generic here, but:

Phish: Big Cypress; for many reasons...

Disco Biscuits: 12/31/02 - E-Factory, Philly;

1: Floes > Mindless Dribble 1 > Floes , 7-11 > Mulberry's Dream , The Very Moon > Spy

2: Shelby Rose > Little Lai 2 > Endo 2 > Hot Air Balloon 2 > Above The Waves 2 > Run Like Hell > Astronaut > Rock Candy > Save The Robots > Rock Candy > Astronaut > Run Like Hell

3: Svenghali > Munchkin Invasion 3, Crickets > The Very Moon 4 > Crickets , Home Again

1 Completes 12/30 version. 2 Excerpt only. Part of 'History of the Disco Biscuits'. 3 Completes 12/29 version. 4 With 'Shem-Rah Boo' tease.

why? because a) you hate the disco biscuits, and B) it was the downright nastiest shit I've ever seen them pull off, and I've seen them pull off some rediculously disgusting shit.

This is tough, I think I've seen too many shows to narrow it down to those two, so, that's what you get off the top of my head...

I'd have to give an honorable mention to stumbling upon Cyro Baptista and Beat the Donkey late night at 10,000 Lakes, in the right headspace for that kind of madness. Organic Jungle insanity....

Grateful Dead August, 27th 1972 Veneta,Oregon

(check out www.surgarmegs.com for a stream)

I love this show becuse of how lucid the boys are in the extreme heat of the day.

Also remember making friends with piano player extrodinaire Rob Barracco one day as we drove around Richmond,VA. before a Phil show. It turned out to be his favorite as well..

Favorite show I ever saw?? I will never have an answer for that one as i will probabbly take it to my grave..

i really couldnt pick one, i have a fond spot for any old dead show, thats in good listening shape, i wont listend to those crappy live recorings anymore.

I was really into an old spearhead show, from a few years back,, when they still had the beat boxer, and were a bit more hip hop ish.

as far as tv, i'm really into prison break. and deal or no deal,

i'm a huge A&E fan, Dog the bounty hunter, first 48, csi, and flip this house. and if i'm not watching any of that i leave my tv on discovery, cause you cant beat it.

Björk - Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal, August 28, 2003

Fuck guitar bands, here's Bjork. Incredible live show.

That's what immediately comes to mind.

bjork toronto island, same tour.

tied for 1st - the band at the masonic temple 199X?

close second, grateful dead 3-22-90

close 3rd grateful dead pine knob 6-20-91