Jambands.ca

Todays foodie adventure - Mulligatawny Soup

bouche

I've never had nuts in soup before either. They really just turn into a nut flavored thingthat melts in your mouth.

The soup was good, but nothing incredible. I was expecting more complex flavors but it just tasted like every other stew I've had. If I were to make it in future, I'd add some fenugreek, corriander stems, some more chilies, just some things to add some layers to it.

• 11 months later...

I had the best mulligatawny soup today, it was made with coconut milk. No nuts, no tomatoes....

It was so good, I remembered this post and wanted the recipe but this one seems VERY different.

Has anyone ever made it with coconut milk? I found this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mulligatawny-soup-ii/detail.aspx

ever have it with coconut milk? recipes?

Here is the recipe I use for Mulligatawny Soup. It is a coconut flavoured soup and this version has been pretty damn good (and simple - no 8 hour simmer time needed here):

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

1 celery stock

2 Tbsp of veg oil or ghee

1 chile, seeded and chopped (or more if you like it hot)

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 Tbls ground coriander seeds

4 cups water or stock (chicken/veggie)

1/2 teaspoon salt (or more)

1 medium carrot, chopped

1 large potato, small cubes

1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped

1 firm tomatoe, chopped (I use cherry toms halved)

1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut

1 cup coconut milk

a couple Tbsp lime juice

chopped cilantro

Saute the onions and garlic for a bit. Add spices and stir in for a minute or so. Add stock, salt, carrots and spuds and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add pepper, tomato and coconut and coconut milk. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add lime juice. I like to let it sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Add cilantro and salt to your liking and wolf it down.