Jambands.ca

Used Clothing

\/\/illy

We did a winter 'purging' on our closets on the weekend and we now have 4 garbage bags of used clothing to give away. What's the best thing to do with them these days? I recall seeing an expose about how those collection bins in supermarket parking lots are owned by for profit companies and people don't even know it. We'd like the clothing to get to people that need it without someone profiting along the way. Any suggestions?

I often drop off my clothing to drug rehab centres. Womankind in Hamilton is one facility that I've donated to a couple of times. In addition to women's clothes, they can also always use children's clothing and or toys as many of their clients are mothers without much to give to their children.

There is an equivalent home for men, but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

But yeah, like you, I prefer to take it directly to the source of where it is most needed.

the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy picks up unwanted clothing or goods from your home (you leave it outside on a set night and mark the bags with an X) then resells what they collect, putting the money towards programs and services for people with disablities

Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy(OFCP) Used Clothing Donation Website

Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy

after your first pick up, they call every month or two to ask if you have anything you'd like to have picked up... good cause, very low hassle

First-Pilgrim United Church @ 200 Main Street East in Hamilton has an outreach program. I'm sure they would love to take your stylish winter clothing. Tel: 905-522-9900

Thanks but I'd be too afraid they'd force people into prayer or to listen to a sermon before they helped protect them from the cold. I'm a cynical fuck that way. (Actually, I'm a cynical fuck most ways.)

the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy picks up unwanted clothing or goods from your home (you leave it outside on a set night and mark the bags with an X) then resells what they collect, putting the money towards programs and services for people with disablities

Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy(OFCP) Used Clothing Donation Website

Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy

after your first pick up, they call every month or two to ask if you have anything you'd like to have picked up... good cause, very low hassle

I already called them and they won't come until March 4th. I don't really want four garbage bags of clothing in my front hall until then. They mentioned that the bins in the Barn parking lot in the west end are not-for-profit.

Wesley Urban Ministries, or the Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre would also be good options I would imagine.

I believe that Wesley Urban Ministries are right down the street from me and responsible for the hundreds of stryofoam cups that I pick up from the street every week. I hate them. Thanks though!

I often drop off my clothing to drug rehab centres. Womankind in Hamilton is one facility that I've donated to a couple of times. In addition to women's clothes, they can also always use children's clothing and or toys as many of their clients are mothers without much to give to their children.

That sounds perfect except I guess they don't take men's clothing. Hmmmm...

First-Pilgrim United Church @ 200 Main Street East in Hamilton has an outreach program. I'm sure they would love to take your stylish winter clothing. Tel: 905-522-9900

Thanks but I'd be too afraid they'd force people into prayer or to listen to a sermon before they helped protect them from the cold. I'm a cynical fuck that way. (Actually' date=' I'm a cynical fuck most ways.)[/quote']

No worries there, I'd think, Willy - the UCC's about the least preachy denomination you're likely to run across. They lost most of their assholes when they started ordaining women and recognising same-sex couples.

Just throw them in the street then... someone will stumble upon them sooner or later.

Mind you it might be one of those cup throwers of which you speak

you tell 'im Edger!

unless you've moved to Fergusun Willy you're talkin the wrong cup throwing demographic

Wesley Urban Ministries

195 Ferguson Ave N (at Barton)

905-528-5629

Google Map

met an 18 year old kid at Polo's a few years back who'd just got out of jail... nice kid, bad luck, middle of winter, no cash, nowhere to go... ran him by Wesley and they took him right in... put an earnest look of gratitude on his face... worthwhile.

met an 18 year old kid at Polo's a few years back who'd just got out of jail... nice kid, bad luck, middle of winter, no cash, nowhere to go... ran him by Wesley and they took him right in... put an earnest look of gratitude on his face... worthwhile

So, *that's* where you met Lazlo, eh?

i like to try and take all my old winter stuff i dont use, and old sleeping bags, and blanks and give them to the street out reach people, last winter i kept a pile in my trunk till i saw there rv down town,

we go threw alot of old clothes in my family, but all the non winter sutff my father mails to some old family friends in some small town in Poland or somthing, where he is from, his family has been doing since athe moved to canada, its actually kind of weird, about 4 times a yeah he sends a pile, of old cloths, that the stuff into pillow cases and sown shut. uausually around 4 or 5

i guess there is a town full of kids running around in my old gap junk.

Edited by Guest

oh, on a side note, i have a big pile of pure hemp t shirts, they are made of hemp and we used to sell then for like 40 bucks, i have a bunch of them in large and extra large, most of them have been worn at most 2 times. I never wear them and dont wana toss them, if anyone wants them let me know, they too big for me, and there too hot in the summer

the reason there used once or twice is that when i was doing festivals for them i always had piles of them to sell or give away, and every time i'd get dirty i'd take a new one, never relized how many i used, lol

unless you've moved to Fergusun Willy you're talkin the wrong cup throwing demographic

I think Willy must be referring to the Housing Help Centre demographic as they are located on Napier. HHC does a lot of great work!! (despite the aforementioned littering issue that obviously has not been addressed)