Jambands.ca

Hey parents - did you get your childcare bill yet??

Hux

As you may or may not know, the Conservative "childcare in an envelope" scheme is taxable and as such many parents are starting to receive this in the mail:

RC62.gif

.....which will require parents to give back a portion of the $$ they received.

Shits hittin' the fan.

I'll prob be getting mine this week. This blows. What I can't believe is that people didn't realise that this is the shit that would come down. All they heard was "$100 per child per month". It's never that simple.

The whole thing is pathetic, IMHO. I'm lucky that my kids are in a quality day care facility and not a glorified baby sitter. The monthly allowance covers the cost of approx 3 days ... whoop-dee-fuckin'-doo!

I dread doing my taxes this year to see how much these changes will bleed us.

Children are our FUTURE. Why the fuck don't people want to invest in them to have a quality start to life and EDUCATION. They're gonna be taking care of you when you're a geezer ...

When the benefit was announced, the discussion about it being taxable was brought to the table by poverty activists etc-I vaguely recollect the Ontario Coalition against Poverty demonstrating against it. People respond to free money-asking questions comes for most of us much later.

Whats truly sad is that a parent on a provincial social program not only gets their benefit rate reduced by the benefit, but then also taxed on top of that.

Lara- the benefit automatically goes to people receiving the Child Tax Benefit.Is that what you applied for? That would be the first step.

Why can't it just be simple? You give the money to those who apply and are approved ... and leave it at that. Why then grab tax back from it and create a more complicated tax return and possibility for errors? Extra paper, programming, personnel, for the tax dep't too. I thought they wanted "less" gov't.

Oh yea, and the daycares will all be paying taxes on the fees that they pull in (part of which come from those taxable handouts from the gov't). They'll take it from here, there and everywhere.

Since you don't have this great Dead show I'll GIVE it to you. It's 3 CDs. However, you'll have to give ONE of them back to me. WHAT A DEAL!

Edited by Guest

It seems like taxable income to me - who's surprised...Dion? The Conservatives didn't invent INCOME tax.

This has nothing to do with Dion. The Conservatives played hard retail politics in the last campaign, ie. "$100 a month for parents" how often did you hear that?

The average non-political junkie voter can't really be expected to pick up all the nuances of such a proposal, especially when they don't repeat it's taxable 45 times a day.

Plenty of parents are surprised, believe me.

This has nothing to do with Dion.

I thought if the "shit was hitting the fan" it had to be coming from somewhere.

I've never had a job interview where someone said, "it pays $20,000 - and that's taxable. That means you won't actually make $20,000. You'll make less - because of taxes. You know, taxes...people - like Kanada Kev, they hate taxes."

I don't think there are any nuances in this scheme.

I have no problem with most taxes. It's the ones that are wasted on stupid things, or on/by politicians (see Bev Oda recently).

I also despise the fact that they continually tax certain goods ... especially CARS. Think about it. Ontario gets taxes out of a vehicle EVERY time it is sold. Say an average car is owned by about 5 different people. Example: $40,000 car ... Tax it new, tax it used $25,000, tax it used $15000, tax it used $8000, tax it used $2000. They essentially are harvested taxes on a total of $90,000 on a car that was $40,000 to begin with. Crooked? Yes, IMHO.

...it was the deceptive marketing of it in the last election - if you don't agree, you're not giving them enough credit.

Just plain old marketing really. Not deceptive marketing, that's evil-connotating rhetoric - and it's redundant. There's nothing deceptive in not mentioning that the credit was taxable. They didn't lie. It's a great example of totally transparent government if you ask me. When asked if the credit was taxable Harper said yes.

Okay, okay a little bit of foot in mouth here - I don't have kids and I meant that the current gov't didn't invent income tax.

Damn conservatives - they must be in cahoots with Future Shop. Their flyer was advertising a CD for $9.99, when I went down there to buy it they thought that they could charge me $11.40. The salesperson who helped me find the CD didn't even mention this tax and either did that flyer!