Jambands.ca

Hammond B3 freaks unite !

Kanada Kev

Wow! This woman wails on the B3. Check out the video below. There's more samples on her website too:

http://www.rhodascott.com/

"... Scott was first attracted to the organ in her father’s church at age seven. "It's really the most beautiful instrument in the world," she stated in a recent interview. "The first thing I did was take my shoes off and work the pedals." From then on she always played her church organ in her bare feet, and to this date she has continued the practice, earning her nicknames such as "The Barefoot Lady" and "The Barefoot Contessa." Following her lead, many other performers of popular organ music now also play barefoot. Because of her church training, however, Scott uses the pedals to play a genuine bass line, unlike many other jazz organists, which allows her to use her left hand for more elaborate chord work. The resulting music is an energetic fusion of musical styles that partakes of jazz, gospel, and classical, reflecting both Scott’s early experience and her formal training. ..." [quoted from Wikipedia entry]

Edited by Guest

I can get you a CV Willy for $500... or 3 of them for $1200!!!.... basically same guts as a B3 in a bigger cabinet.

wait a minute - I owned a CV for years - it's definitely not a B3. Same starter and tonewheel assembly but completely different animal when it comes to output. And no percussion which is a huge part of the B3 sound. Yes the full drawbar complement, as well as some chorus and vibrato settings and footpedals....but no way to hook it up to a Leslie cabinet without aftermarket mods. These were configured for Tone Cabinets such as the D20 which are dual 10" drivers firing downwards in a cabinet - no spinning horns or baffle....and really the Leslie is 50% of the Hammond sound...

A CV was the predecessor to the C3 - the 'C' denotes Church casing which is the full size cabinet for church installs. Solid maple with walnut veneer...I remember it took 5 people to get mine up 4 steps into my house...

Also, the last CV was made before 1950 so these beasts are old - if they weren't oiled 'religiously' (sort of a pun) good luck working on the mechanics...nightmare!

And as much as I like Jimmy Smith, for me the real cookin' B3 albums are Lonnie Smith 'Move Your Hand' and Brother Jack McDuff 'Down Home Style' - Both later albums(1969) on Blue Note that are more funky/groovy than jazzy...

Edited by Guest

Hey tungsten, have we met before?

interestesting tid-bit about the "CV" history. If anyone is interested, this is a great site outlining the hammond in all its glory:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/hammond-faq_toc.html

Also, check out my home-made leslie! should be making its debut at the Casbah on march 5.

I took this:

amp1.jpg

and made this:

amp7.jpg

amp8.jpg

amp9.jpg

the amp was in repairs when these shots were taken. Its a 1960's 100w tube PA head. Since this cabinet does not have a rotating horn the acceleration sound is not as impressive. I run a roland VK-7 which has an impressive leslie simiulation and takes care of the speed-up sound. This amp shakes the house! The baffle is not traditional, rather has a built in 6x9 cone. the 15" is purly for the bass tones (i dont use pedals). I also built a crossover to maximize the tremolo sound.

the amp was in repairs when these shots were taken. Its a 1960's 100w tube PA head. Since this cabinet does not have a rotating horn the acceleration sound is not as impressive. I run a roland VK-7 which has an impressive leslie simiulation and takes care of the speed-up sound. This amp shakes the house! The baffle is not traditional, rather has a built in 6x9 cone. the 15" is purly for the bass tones (i dont use pedals). I also built a crossover to maximize the tremolo sound.

I love you, you nerd.

I've been doing some 'sitting in' on keys myself lately. I've got a Hammond XB-2 that needs repair. Is anyone here familiar with that model?

I've traced the problem back to the DSP section (I think). Big question is, does anyone know - is this fixable, or am I fucked? Hammond-Suzuki doesn't provide support for these models any more, so getting a replacement chip seems unlikely.