Jambands.ca

Jesus Sues American School

hamilton

Well... sort of.

U.S. boy sues school for banning Jesus Halloween costume

February 21, 2007

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA – A 10-year-old boy who said he was not allowed to wear a Jesus costume during his school's Halloween activities sued the district, alleging his religious and free-speech rights were violated.

The complaint, filed in federal court Tuesday, said officials at Willow Hill elementary school in Glenside, Pa., told the boy Oct. 31 he could not wear his faux crown of thorns or tell others he was dressed as Jesus.

Principal Patricia Whitmire told the boy's mother the costume violated a policy prohibiting the promotion of religion, the lawsuit said. Whitmire suggested the Grade 4 student, whose costume also included a robe, identify himself as a Roman emperor, the suit states.

While the boy's costume was rejected because of its religious nature, the principal allowed other students to dress up as witches and devils, the lawsuit said.

Whitmire and the Abington School District, in suburban Philadelphia, are named as defendants.

District Attorney Ken Roos, who had not yet seen the suit Wednesday, said Abington officials "feel like we've been a little bit ambushed here."

The boy, who is not identified because of his age, and his mother are Christians who object to the pagan elements of Halloween. At the same time, the suit states, the boy's mother did not want him isolated for refusing to wear a costume.

Willow Hill officials required students to wear a costume on Halloween to participate in a parade and party; those who did not were sent to the computer room, the suit said.

The suit was filed on behalf of the boy and his mother by the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal group based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The boy no longer attends Willow Hill.

Link

I'm...... not sure who I'm rootin for

guess I think its a little ridiculous banning children from dressing like religious figures on halloween (have always thought dressing up as Vishnu would make for a fun costume)

vishnu.jpg

then again I think its a little ridiculous to dress your kid up like Jesus for halloween for the sake that you disapprove of the Pagan origins of the holiday (wouldn't locking him in the cellar Oct. 30 - Nov. 1 be more appropriate? seems the Far Right is getting kinda slack)

god bless america

Guest Low Roller
Willow Hill officials required students to wear a costume on Halloween to participate in a parade and party; those who did not were sent to the computer room, the suit said.

What's the problem here?

isn't witchcraft a religion, wicca or something? Halloween is halloween, you get dressed up. I think it's cruel to send the kids to the computer room (what if the parents can't afford a costume or are too damn lazy to cut a hole in a sheet for the child?). I also think they have perfect grounds for sueing, though they shouldn't get much I hope (it's not worth more than a $100 or so for the trouble unless a lesson must be taught).

I do agree with the schoolboard keeping religion out of the school, though. Bad to mix those and it's bad to mix religion and politics (the last equals death for sure, just check all over the world).