Jambands.ca

Tell me about Obama.

StoneMtn

So, he looks pretty good to me, but I must admit that I really feel uninformed about American politics. I know there are a number of you on here who are really tuned in, so I appeal to your knowledge.

Tell me about this guy. Assume I don't know the first thing about him, and give me the main important points; good and bad.

I gather that, while he comes from Large Money (though I don't honestly know so much about his biography), he's also terrifically well educated, in the sort of way that gives him a sensitivity to the fact that other people suffer and that that's not a good thing (funny how that has to be qualified). My fear is that a big portion of the electorate is going to shun him for that (were he to take the primaries), wanting this time someone a hair smarter than Bush but not (so much) smarter than what might be taken for the "average American". There is this growing climate of anti-intellectualism (and fundamentalism and all the other related -isms) in the US that has to be taken account of.

This is, of course, very sad. Obama does seem to be, imo, the best pick of the Democratic litter.

• 1 month later...