Jambands.ca

Freezing Rain in the Hammer

questcequecest?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to double post, but the snow now looks like Billions of golf balls flying at my window, only at the last second to curve away! I feel like I'm in a popcorn machine, or a lotto hopper. And sometimes when the wind is just right, the golf balls just hang there all matrix stlye. Fuggin cool.

do you work in an LSD factory?

hopefully not as bad as the last biggy

Date:January 5-10, 1998

Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, Canada

Size of the Ice Storm of 1998:

* The water equivalent of freezing rain, ice pellets and a little snow was double previous major ice storms.

* The area covered was massive, extending from Kitchener, Ontario through Quebec to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and also covering parts of New York and New England.

* Most freezing rain lasts for a few hours. In the ice storm of 1998, there were more than 80 hours of freezing rain, nearly double the annual average.

Casualties and Damage from the Ice Storm of 1998:

* 28 people died, many from hypothermia,

* 945 people were injured.

* Over 4 million people in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick lost power.

* About 600,000 people had to leave their homes.

* 130 power transmission towers were destroyed and more than 30,000 utility poles fell.

* Millions of trees fell, and more continued to break and fall for the rest of the winter.

* Estimated cost of the ice storm was $5,410,184,000.

* By June 1998, about 600,000 insurance claims totalling more than $1 billion were filed.

Summary of Ice Storm of 1998:

* Freezing rain started on Monday, January 5, 1998 as Canadians were starting back to work after the Christmas holidays.

* The storm coated everything in glassy ice, making all forms of transportation treacherous.

* As the storm continued, layers of ice built up, weighing down power lines and poles, and causing massive power outages.

* At the height of the ice storm, 57 communities in Ontario and 200 in Quebec declared a disaster. More than 3 million people were without power in Quebec and 1.5 million in Eastern Ontario. About 100,000 people went into shelters.

* By Thursday, January 8, the military was brought in to help clear debris, provide medical assistance, evacuate residents, and canvass door-to-door to make sure people were safe. They also worked to restore power.

* Power was restored in most urban areas in a matter of days, but many rural communities suffered for much longer. Three weeks after the beginning of the storm, there were still 700,000 people without power.

* Farmers were especially hard hit. Nearly a quarter of Canada's dairy cows, a third of the crop land in Quebec and a quarter in Ontario were in the affected areas.

* Milk processing plants were shut, and about 10 million litres of milk had to be dumped.

* Much of the sugar bush used by Quebec maple syrup producers was permanently destroyed. It was estimated that it would take 30 to 40 years before syrup production could return to normal.

just ran out to westdale from the east mountain and its not really that bad

if it gets really cold later after the rain could see it getting pretty slick but until then I say its fine

for it to get all emergency levels it has to keep freezing rain for a while... think its too warm in general to really go crazy on us... one last snow day for the season

like my 85 year old aunt Rhoda said last night:

"if March comes in with a roar" it usually signals a warm sunny spring "it goes out like a lamb."

and yes indeed... both my grandmother and my aunt rhoda (who've lived together for about 55 years, with their husbands, thus I call her "aunt") totally rock

Edited by Guest
rock

Today I had to drive up the street from work. The drive can take less than two minutes if you get all the green lights (I think there are three). IT TOOK ME MORE THAN TWO HOURS, from 3:30 until about 5:40 this afternoon.

Map of my ridiculous journey

At one point a woman in the opposite lanes rolled down her window, grabbed some snow from the top of her car and playfully lobbed a snowball at my truck. We had a friendly back-and-forth snowball fight for about 10 minutes (traffic wasn't moving). Definitely a fun spirit-lifter in a shitty traffic jam.