Jambands.ca

When is a Trekky a Trekky?

Ms Zimmy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie#Trekkie_vs._Trekker

Trekkie vs. Trekker

Some Star Trek enthusiasts prefer the term "Trekkie", while some others self-identify as "Trekker". The Trekkie vs. Trekker debate may mirror the Sci-Fi vs SF debate.

In the 1991 TV show "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special", Leonard Nimoy attempts to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the correct one.

Some Trekkies hold that a "Trekker" is a "Trekkie" who is embarrassed of being a "Trekkie". A Trekkie is considered to be someone stupid and embarrassing to intelligent and serious Trekkers. The classic stereotype is a clueless Trekkie walking around wearing rubber Spock ears and being held up to public ridicule for his obsession. "Trekker" is usually used as a term for the dedicated Star Trek fan with considerable knowledge of the show.

The term "Trekkie" is sometimes considered derogatory, perhaps because of a perceived parallel to the terms "groupie" or "Hippie".

Some avoid the disagreement by referring to themselves as just "Star Trek fans", or among themselves, as just "fans".

Edited by Guest

i have a freind, who i promised i owuld never tell anyone this, but once day while on a read trip we got talking about star trek, i used to watch it alot, but mostly cause it was on all night, and i never sleep.

my friend, explained to me how they studied the show, and had all kinds of books on it, the explained how the star dates work, and full knew how to use them currently, he also knew in great detail how the "warp" enging worked and bacicall memorised every fact about the enterprise.

later when we got to halifax, we were ina book store and the pointed out to me some of the books the read.

i never thought people were that into it.

now i cant help but laugh when i see them

Alright now that we know what a trekky and a trekker is, when does one become one of those? Do you need, say, a uniform, to speak Volacan, or just really love and know a lot about Star Trek? What makes someone a trekky?

I like Trek, not obsessively, but some of the shows were good - the original series and in particular DS9.

If you go harcore obsessive with all things Trek, then you will be a Trekker and single in no time.

Comparing captains means nothing. The real geek/Trekky question would involve comparing doctors:)

I do love sci-fi. Not all sci-fi, but the "good stuff". The original Star Trek was a groundbreaking series, paving the way for many great sci-fi works like Star Wars. Deep Space 9 was created and produced by Ronald Moore, who went on to do the fantastic and creepy HBO series Carnivale and one of the best shows currently on TV, Battlestar Galactica.

Alright now that we know what a trekky and a trekker is, when does one become one of those? Do you need, say, a uniform, to speak Volacan, or just really love and know a lot about Star Trek? What makes someone a trekky?

Simply debating this point at all makes you a "trekkie".