Jambands.ca

Thursday March 8th - Wassabi Collective with the Irie Band!

Twirlin Diva

MAR08.jpg

Hey out there, my name is Vita, this is my first post. Some of you may know me from Come Together festivals or Evolve and various other shows. I just want to hype this show on Thursday in Hamilton at the Casbah with Wassabi Collective and the Irie Band! I'll be twirlin glow poi with the Irie Band at the beginning of the night. I hope some of you Hammertons will come out. This is the first show on their East Coast tour! Yippee!

You can check out my web site at www.myspace.com/twirlindiva

Have a look at my fire twirlin video and pictures!

Listen to the new track "Almighty" on Wassabi's myspace page... www.myspace.com/wassabicollective

Also check out the irie band www.myspace.com/iriebandtoronto ... this is their first visit to Hamilton.

anyone else here commin?

Heres the article from todays View mag in Hamilton by Shain Shapiro:

THERE IS A history of bands forming in western Canada that are comprised of members originally from eastern or central Canada. Rivalries aside, the left coast often seems desirable for Torontonians and those of surrounding areas, but traversing the country and setting up shop on the left coast just to form a band seems a bit over the top. Yet, countless bands have emerged that way. Montreal acts similarly, as most of the musicians that have turned the town into musical acclaim city are not from Montreal. So, what makes one move house and home to form a band? Surely the music is secondary, as student jobs are generally easier to come by in the Rockies, and in Montreal’s case, the cost of living is low. Regardless, it is an interesting discussion, one that has sprouted countless examples, including one coming to Hamilton next week. Not an entirely transplanted band, but for Victoria’s Wassabi Collective, Montreal and Hamilton have supplied the roots. For the Hamilton show of their cross–Canada tour, the bassist, Scott Milne, is coming home. “Our environment and our travels are ultimately our biggest influences,†responds vocalist and percussionist Melissa Meretsky, an easterner. “Being from the East but living and working in the West brings out new ideas based on established themes. It is good to be a part of both worlds.†This collective, which has been around since 1999, has established a strong contingent of fans on both sides of the country. Almost every summer sees them headline the Evolve Festival in Nova Scotia and at home, their shows albeit sporadic as of late, are celebrations of community; almost festivals within themselves with just one act. While The Wassabi Collective has two studio efforts to date, 2003’s The Masquerade Sessions which for all intents and purposes is a live album and 2005’s EP Cato, it is the live show that has engendered the quintet’s ferocious popularity, lead by Meretsky’s fiery conga and vocal tandem and tight, pulsating rhythm lines. Atrue hybrid of east and west, the Wassabi Collective mixes majortonal African melodies, especially those found just below the horn of Africa, with modern trance, funk and electro. Throw in a dash of salsa and Cuban permeations and explicating why their live show is legendary becomes crystal clear, like a sunrise over Vancouver Island. “Our past works reflected the live show with extended jam, in whatever style moved us.†explains Meretsky. Such styles are evident on their new album, the independently released Stories Not Forgotten,due out this spring. To compete in an increasingly tight, must–be–radio–friendly market, Meretsky and company took the core melodies inherent in the explosive live show and cropped them, creating an impressively mature, yet stylistically diverse collection of tunes. A drastic improvement from the older recordings, Stories Not Forgotten is The Wassabi Collective’s welcome note to the mainstream, a decisive statement that should prove difficult to overlook, unlike the more restrictively released older efforts. “We felt it was time to show a different side to our recording,†affirms Meretsky. “We tightened arrangements and shortened some songs to appeal to the music industry in a radio–friendly way. In a live setting these same songs are extended, however.†From first listen, this is an intensely personalalbum. For example, the title comes from a song written almost a decade ago, when Meretsky was busking out east, in Montreal. Consonant and contagious, Stories Not Forgotten merges the vast spread of the live show; trance, electro, African melodies, Cuban rhythms and jam, and condenses it without losing the voracity embedded within the extended improvisations. It is tough trying to evaporate lengthy songs into tightly wound studio numbers; The Wassabi Collective accomplished just that this time around. “Stories Not Forgottenis the name of the third song on the album and has a great meaning to me personally,†expands Meretsky. “I wrote the lyrics seven years ago while living in Montreal, mostly busking. The words were essentially a poem at first. I then put it to a guitar line and shared it with the band. They composed it with a different feel, allowing me to express myself in a new way. We chose that name as the title because we want to remember where we came from and what we have done, on both coasts as The Wassabi Collective.†Overall, Meretsky affirms that Stories Not Forgotten is “more energy and excitement with new textures and sounds,†and the live show will emanate that statement, with the addition of “some great new songs.†Hamilton is always a party, and as previously mentioned, the bassist grew up here, so make sure not to miss it. Oh, and buy the new album too. It is a great listen when traveling from coast to coast. V [sHAIN SHAPIRO] LIVE WASSABI COLLECTIVE W/IRIEBAND THURSDAY, MARCH8 CASBAH 306 King St. W. 905.521.4441 www.wassabi.net WASSABI

Hey! Thanks for welcoming me everyone! Last night was really fun! So good to see all these wonderful people again! Wassabi Collective plays this Saturday for Canadian Music Week in Toronto at the Anexx Wreck Room from 10:30 to 11:30pm! So, come on out if you can, hope to see more people out again! Yaaaa!

Hey! Thanks for welcoming me everyone! Last night was really fun! So good to see all these wonderful people again! Wassabi Collective plays this Saturday for Canadian Music Week in Toronto at the Anexx Wreck Room from 10:30 to 11:30pm! So, come on out if you can, hope to see more people out again! Yaaaa!

Did they let you fire-twirl in there ?