Jambands.ca

NHL Thoughts

SmoothedShredder

So, the Islanders seem to have a lock on that 7th spot, and barring a collapse by Atlanta, it looks as though there are 5 teams competing for that 8th spot, for the reward of... meeting Buffalo in the first round. Yikes...

MVP Guesses? I'm picking Martin Broudeur... hands down. My buddy seems to think Luongo's going to get the nod, and maybe Crosby for all the points, but honestley, there is NOBODY more valuble to their team. The Guy is freaking incredible... I hope he gets the single season shutout record.

Atlanta's recent play suggests they might fall through the cracks. Nothing is said and done but modern developments certainly lead to easy speculations. This is a tight fucking race and one that I think MTL (based on play) and TOR (based on play and remaining schedule) are going to have a really tough time with.

The rest of the teams are doing exactly what they want to be doing. Having a winning record over their last 10 games. Carolina better had pick it up, and strong. Like every team. This is exactly how MTL got in last year. A wicked run at the end.

If you are going to say 5 are fighting for 8th, I am going to propose that 7 are fighting for the 7th and 8th spots, if you believe the Islanders are a lock. Dont count out Florida man. They are 7-1-2 in their last ten games. All these teams are facing off against one another so their playoff availability depends on what they do each night.

MVP gueses?

I am going to hold off on that for now. Those top 3 are too close at this point. Lets see where everything ends up.

Guest Low Roller

Despite by beloved Habs struggling to win a playoff spot, I think that the new NHL has achieved what it wanted with the salary cap- parity.

The Eastern Conference is far from decided at this point, as 5th place and 13th place are only separated by 12 points, and considering that there are still roughly 14 games left, every team in that race has a chance to make the playoffs AND not play the Sabres in the first round, and they equally have a chance stumbling and completely falling down the standings.

The trail end of the season no longer drags on with the standings pretty much determined, and the fans no longer feel like saving their cash for playoff tickets, boosting attendance figures. Every game still holds a certain sense of urgency, and the players cannot afford to play on cruise control.

That being said, the teams in the Eastern Conference are going to be so beat up before the playoffs start, that the more obvious Western Conference should be in a better position physically come the finals.

Every game still holds a certain sense of urgency, and the players cannot afford to play on cruise control.

I suppose you get to see alot of that in England, eh?

the more obvious Western Conference should be in a better position physically come the finals.

Slow down there pal. Aint going to be no easy route on the West side in the playoffs. 1 through 8 are each going to be challenging as facking hell.

You and Rubber Dinghy should go on a date.

Guest Low Roller

The playoff teams in the West are pretty much decided if you look at the standings. There is a 10 point difference between 8th and 9th place. I'm not inferring that the actual playoffs will be easy in the West, however the rest of the season won't be seen with the urgency that the East games will have.

And no, I don't get to watch any hockey. Sucks ass.

If anything, the East teams have a better chance of being physically stronger because the top seeds are going to roll through their first round opponents because the number 6-7-8 seeds had to work so hard to get there. That is not going to happen in the West. Those series are going to be heavy hitters right off the bat.

You should go on a date with Dinghy.

Are they not testing the '3 pts for a win' system in the AHL this season? And if they are, what seems to be the consensus?

It works in soccer but that is because they dont play nearly as many games. Seems to me like there would be huge gaps between teams if hockey went that route.

If anything, the East teams have a better chance of being physically stronger because the top seeds are going to roll through their first round opponents because the number 6-7-8 seeds had to work so hard to get there. That is not going to happen in the West. Those series are going to be heavy hitters right off the bat.

You should go on a date with Dinghy.

You know...Like Detroit.

The NHL discussed the "3 points for a win" game when all the GMs got together. From what I heard, they all hated it.

AFAIC, if they did that, they might as well just go back to the 2pts. for a win and nothing else.

I think that they just have to leave the game alone for a few seasons. Let everything settle in. Items involving safety should be their main concern (no touch icing, equipment, fucknut referees, suspensions, etc.)

I am unsure what you mean Dinghy but you should go on a date with Andrew.

I do want to say that I can see what Low Roller is talking about. We are not really going to know until the playoffs come around. I just think the playoffs are going to be insanely competitive in the West which is going to have a huge impact on whatever team comes out of it. Getting back to Detroit if they dont amp up their physical play in the second season, they are going to get blown out of the water.

They've tested the 3 pts for a win vs. 0 points for an OT or SO loss vs. the current system on both current and historical data, and it RARELY makes a difference on the final standings.

The consensus coming out of the GM meetings was "leave the game alone for a while", like Kev said. They're just coming off a season of major changes. It's not perfect, but it is better.

If anything' date=' the East teams have a better chance of being physically stronger because the top seeds are going to roll through their first round opponents because the number 6-7-8 seeds had to work so hard to get there. That is not going to happen in the West. Those series are going to be heavy hitters right off the bat.

You should go on a date with Dinghy.[/quote']

You know...Like Detroit.

Nevermind...I read the post incorrectly.

I can't see the "top seeds rolling through their first round opponents" in the East

Well, I didnt word that as well as I should have. I meant that it seems like it is going to be much harder for the top teams in the West during their first round matchups than it is going to be in the East.

We'll see what happens.