Jambands.ca

Our new baby...

lara

is a great dane!

His name is Dakota, he's 1.5 years, 105lbs of love and happiness, fawn with brindle.

He's absolutely gorgeous, I'll post pictures later. One of the best things is that he's getting us out and walking to burn off his energy (and our winter chubbs).

Hopefully Dave can post pictures later.

Anyone else had a dane before? Share some wisdom, insight?

More like two handfulls when it's time to poop'n'scoop :P

Congrats on the new dog. Danes are real sweethearts and beautiful dogs (love the brindle coats). Have a friend who had one. It was amazing at how small it could curl itself up, relatively speaking, when chilling on the couch.

Congrats!

I've never had a Dane but have a 120lbs waist high dog who is also a sweetheart.

The best advice I can give is to walk it in front of your house and around your neighborhood often and make sure that people know there is a giant monster that lives in your house. Also if people come up to him on the street and ask if he's friendly say, "Yeah, but he sure does bite alot.", that is always fun. :)

Thanks!

We've been trying convince him that the couch is for humans only. He curls himself up into a tiny ball to convince us its ok...he's not taking up room... haha, those big eyes can look so hard done by.

He's a real goof. Buries his dog bowl and food under the blankets. And when he gets moving he bounds across the house in three strides! Milly (our border collie) is not to fond of the new house clown but we're confident he'll win her over. And Aslan, is getting used to him. We have to watch Dakota's wagging tail around Aslan... so their time will be supervised for a while. His bark makes the house vibrate. Thats the one thing Aslan doesn't like.

I was just told by a great dane expert that he'll need a dog coat and boots for going outside in winter. I guess we're going to be one of 'those' people.

Thanks for all the congrats!

I was just told by a great dane expert that he'll need a dog coat and boots for going outside in winter. I guess we're going to be one of 'those' people.

Get a second and third opinion on that one. I'm not saying I know though. We have a Weimaraner who's about 90 lbs and a similar build and coat type to a 'Dane and when I asked the breeder how cold was too cold for him, he laughed his ass off and then told me I should worry if it hits -45C. Leanne has always wanted to put a coat and boots on him but that's because she wants a baby which she's getting in two months anyway. So, Bagheera gets 'saved by the bell' so to speak. ;)

Well YATS...Wilsons been shooting lasers outa his head for years, launching rockets too.

Sly could probably pick that trick up fairly fast..the force is strong in young Sly.

In recent weeks though Wilson has mastered standing on his hind legs, pulling his forarms WAY back, arching his back and shooting forth the most death defying belly laser you could imagine.

Its rather impressive and I think this will take Sly a lifetime to master...Wilson is over a decade old now. I suspect his years of ballroom dancing particularily aided him in this recent discovery...well this and the decade of traing from his holiness...whom btw taught him the art of fire walking too.

Be carefull I think Wilson might start busting out belly lasers at people who laugh at his fancy boots.

He says they keep the salt outa his paws dammit-preventing the dreaded cold paw!

Post pictures of the giant goofball Lara...I LOVE Marmedukes! :)

Edited by Guest
show us the horse

Get a second and third opinion on that one. I'm not saying I know though. We have a Weimaraner who's about 90 lbs and a similar build and coat type to a 'Dane and when I asked the breeder how cold was too cold for him' date=' he laughed his ass off and then told me I should worry if it hits -45C. Leanne has always wanted to put a coat and boots on him but that's because she wants a baby which she's getting in two months anyway. So, Bagheera gets 'saved by the bell' so to speak. ;)[/quote']

Willy,

It was -42 here yesterday.