Jambands.ca

FOOD- takeout reccomendations?

gentlemonkey

Boy do I love good, unique, authentic, healthy- on not, fairly priced- takeout foods. One of the best things about going to different towns is being able to take in the local favorites.

Here in Ottawa, I have overdone all my favorite takeout places to the point of nauseum- golden turtle, so good, northern 2, pubitalia, capones, carlos - best pizza in the world, sushi place in the market building, lonestar, villagecafe.. etc.

I'd love to get some reccomendations of places to eat- take out or not, and maybe a suggested favorite dish or two. I always like to take peoples reccommendations, and try different eats. Places with vegetarian options get extra points cause my lady dont eat meat. I also have been tempted to get into more asian varieties, indian and african foods, but Im not sure where to go or what to get.

Anybody have any local favorites to tell me about- odds are I will be in most towns in at least Ontario this year- so gimme the scoop!! (city, place and dish) thanks.

Oh man I have so many favorites. Here's a couple:

- Co Cham on Somerset Street beside Pho Bo Ga. They have $2.00 Vietnamese subs. Ask for the assorted on a baguette (with peppers if you can stand the heat).

- Tuk Tuk Thai Express on Kind Edward. Their delivery service stinks but if you get take-out it's awesome. Try their lemongrass soup (I can't remember the authentic name but it's the best soup I've ever had). They also have very reasonably priced combos for lunch and dinner. I've tried two of them and they are amazing.

- Also a big fan of the Turtle, but I have to stop eatting it so much in case I get sick of it.

I'm looking for some more options for this as well. I've only been in Ottaswa for a few months but I've definitely had my shwarma fill. And my lady's veggie too.

I'll pass on one recommendation if you guys can suggest good cheap healthy lunch fare downtown that is NOT:

Pizza

Shwarma/Donair/Lebanese mystery meat

Chip truck

My recommendation is Ceylonta, on Somerset past Bank. Traditional south Indian and Sri Lankan food. It's the first place I've been that really does serve south indian food like I remember it from the real place. Try their vegetarian Thali (combination of different curries/chutneys/pickles, with rice). I think it's like 10 bucks but it's very very good.

Here's my three favourites :

(no particular order)

Hamilton :

La Luna @ Queen st.(Lebanese)- Anything they make actually is amazing.Schwarma's,Falafel's,many other tasty dishes.

Shehnai Resturant,447 Main st.W(Indian) - I basically always get the Tandori chicken...mmmmmm,but again great food.

The Pepper Jack cafe-You know all about it Jay I'm sure,my favorite though is the goats cheese pizza.

I'm freakin hungry now and can't make up my mind where to go...dam you [Wink]

esau- yeah, i've done la lunas- they had some tasty sandwiches i believe. pepperjack's honey-butter is the bombdiggity. unreal actually.

ahess- Will try that, i hear you on the shawarma oversaturation. its funny they're impossible to get on the east coast or the states. (fyi- i left shawarma king and kamals off my list by accident). Check out So Good on Somerset, its got a kickass vegetarian menu, wu se vegetables- mmm.

ms hux- will do, thank yoU!

You should try the take-out service in our back yard. They're just giving the stuff away. There are far to many baby tomatoes and beans, and our freezer's filling up....

Seriously though, if your into Indian or African food, I have found that most Indian buffets offer a large selection of both meat and vegetable fare. I'm not sure about the African places in Ottawa, I've heard good things about the Horn of Africa, mainly Ethiopian, I think, and the Kasbah Village on O'Connor and Laurier is nice, less veggie fare but still an experience.

Oh yeah, and speaking of Indian food, The Roses Also in the market is pretty decent and cheap. The name's a bit confusing, but their blatant theft of the Hard Rock Café slogan makes me smile since this is such a commonality in India (ex. Using an image of Hulk Hogan on a billboard to sell paint.)

The Green Papaya on Kent has great Thai food. For $12 you get a combination plate of all the daily specials. Amazing stuff and great for first timers who don't know what to get!

And I'm a sushi fanatic! I love Suisha Gardens and Kinki. Suisha Gardens has all the basic rolls and really nice staff. Kinki's has some great funky rolls (lots of veggie ones) and absolutely fantastic martinis but it's pretty pricey!

i had a really good meal at the glebe cafe - right on bank street around fourth(?). decent prices, awesome food and really friendly owner/chef/waiter(?)dude (he seemed to be doing everything, and doing it well). i had the days special -tasty spicey eggplant dish --yummy!(there was a veg and a meaty special) i only made it there once, so i don't know about the regular menu - but i did notice there were veg options. pretty sure they do take out too.

Next time you're in Hamilton, try Mex-I-Can (107 James North - 905-527-1554) for some authentic Mexican food at a great price. Taco Bell be damned, this is the real deal and the beer is always cold. Highly recommended. It's also right around the corner from Pepper Jack's.

I'm with Esau13 on La Luna - still my favorite place to eat. I'd also recommend The Pheasant Plucker for the best nachos in town (the vegetarian nachos are out of this world), the coolest bar staff outside Pepper Jack's, and great pub-style food all around.

I love food. Food is good! [big Grin]

Archived