Jambands.ca

John Popper busted

NewRider

John Popper Arrested

Updated 08:17 PST Thu, Mar 08 2007

(The Associated Press, Spokane, Wash.)

Blues Traveler singer and harmonica player John Popper was arrested after the vehicle he was riding in was clocked going 111 mph, the Washington State Patrol said March 7.

Popper, 39, was arrested the afternoon of March 6 on Interstate 90 near the Spokane/Lincoln county line, the Washington State Patrol said.

Inside the black Mercedes SUV, officers found a cache of weapons and a small amount of marijuana, the Patrol said. A police dog searched the vehicle, finding numerous hidden compartments containing four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife. Authorities also found a Taser and night vision goggles. The vehicle was seized.

The musician, who lives in Snohomish, Wash., is the owner of the vehicle, which was being driven by Brian Gourgeois, 34, of Austin, Texas, said state patrol Trooper Jeff Sevigney. The vehicle also had flashing emergency headlights, a siren and a public address system, the Patrol said.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Patrol said in a news release. He also told officers he collected weapons, the Patrol said.

The two men were booked administratively into the Adams County jail and released on their own recognizance. Authorities plan to charge them with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Gourgeois will also face a charge of reckless driving, the Patrol said.

Popper did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment Wednesday night.

Popper recently formed a group called The John Popper Project with DJ Logic, which released an album in 2006 and is scheduled to go on the road later this month.

Just say no to drugs, so Trey's in trouble, as is Popper for the marijuana, but Popper will likely get a free lifetime membership to the NRA for the discovery of his weapons cache.

And the scary thing is, I'm not even sure if the above sentence should be in purple ...

Peace, Mark

Edited by Guest

I don't really know the specifics of the laws in Washington but, switchblades have been illegal for a long time in most place. Hidden compartments with handguns sounds like a crime too. Concealed wepons refer to being on your person I know but there's probably something wrong with having them hidden in your car too. Also, sirens and emergency lights are illegal in most places as well except for the emergency personel who are supposed to have them.

That seems like a lot to me especially considering that they were driving so crazy when they got pulled over.

Washington Crimes and Punishments

RCW 9.41.250

Dangerous weapons — Penalty.

Every person who:

(1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Just say no to drugs, so Trey's in trouble, as is Popper for the marijuana, but Popper will likely get a free lifetime membership to the NRA for the discovery of his weapons cache.

And the scary thing is, I'm not even sure if the above sentence should be in purple ...

Peace, Mark

Pretty sure he's already a member, brah. He's been a pretty outspoken advocate against gun control for quite a while.

Popper's obssesion with weapons and the like has been an open secret among hardcore BT fans for years.

When I worked tech at the HORDE show there was a special Popper roadcase on the second stage's truck that no one was allowed to touch, move or open. When the (american) road manager heard a quip about drugs he got quite haughty and defended Mr. Popper by explaining that this was his arsenal, yes--i shit you not--he used the word arsenal.

Jef