Jambands.ca

How many non-, semi- or full-sovereign states have we collectively visited?

Davey Boy 2.0

the queen cannot create legislation / laws / ANYTHING though - you're missing the point. The Queen can't do shit. SHe can only inflict her very limited will if a bill makes it all the way through our independent houses of government to her representative and then she can agree or disagree, and the chances of denial are pretty damn slim. hardly a threat to an independent government.

do you think that none of the commonwealth nations are independent? over a billion indians would disagree.

anyways - i still contend that wales etc are not countries. they can stay on this list fine, but i don't think it's accurate. not that it needs to be.

The Commonwealth - (no independence here, nope)

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

The Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belize

Botswana

Brunei

Cameroon

Canada

Cyprus

Dominica

The Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana

India

Jamaica

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Mozambique

Namibia

Nauru

New Zealand

Nigeria

Pakistan

Papua New

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia)

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Samoa

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the definition of country is what's causing confusion.

Just doesn't make sense to me that they are all independent countries, but yet they still report to someone higher who was ultimate control over them.

Southern Ireland hasn't existed as a legal entity since 1922

Do yourself a favour, don't EVER share these sentiments about these COUNTRIES while visiting these places, it would probably get very messy indeed.....;)

wow, who said that she can create legislation? you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge any merit in the theoretical argument that a legal ability to refuse to pass legislation IS an ability to affect things, however unlikely it might be to actually occur. this is a well situated debate amoung canadian political scientists. when Michaelle Jean was appointed as GG in 2005, nationalists raised concerns about her and her husband's past support for quebec sovereignty wondering whether an alleged separatiste should possess the power of the position. this is not a trivial debate, and an outright dismissal of a contrary viewpoint is disappointing.

and yeah, this should be over in the politics forum. :)

they're not sentiments, they're facts

Wales has 40 Members of Parliament in the UK House of Commons. How are they an independent country? Wales is a nation within the UK, a sovereign state. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make up the UK, which is the legislative body.

You might all be right and I might be wrong about this, but no-one has convinced me yet, and all the digging I've done has only helped my side of the argument so far.

you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge any merit in the theoretical argument that a legal ability to refuse to pass legislation IS an ability to affect things, however unlikely it might be to actually occur.
SHe can only inflict her very limited will if a bill makes it all the way through our independent houses of government to her representative and then she can agree or disagree, and the chances of denial are pretty damn slim. hardly a threat to an independent government.

no, i actually stated it outright - it seems ceremonial and "theoretical" and "unlikely", to use your words. The monarchy couldn't so much as legislate the colour of my shoelaces without it going through many different stages of independent, democratic, wholly Canadian government steps. She can only inflict will, affirmative or negative, if presented with that option from Canada.

When is the last time Canada relied on the UK House of Commons for our laws? Wales still does.

RE: the GG - Free speech and thought are wonderful. The nationalists should get their heads out of their asses on the GG issue. Oh yeah, it died 2 years ago.

this is not a trivial debate, and an outright dismissal of a contrary viewpoint is disappointing.

I don't believe I've dismissed anything, I just haven't been convinced otherwise. What have I posted that isn't rooted in fact? Why are you rejecting my statements out of hand with no support? That's disappointing.

Direct a Canadian, Welsh, or whatever political scientest to this and see what they say. I'm a lowly geographer.

we aren't competing on jeopardy and IMO they count because a) they're considered separate destinations... ie, you don't say "I'm going to the northern part of the UK this summer that used to be called Scotland", and B) they're distinct cultural locations. (this thread was about traveling if i'm not mistaken?)

:)

however, if you're enjoying the debate, do carry on!

Edited by Guest

so if the United States decided to invade Canada and take it over, would Canada still be a country?

i have no idea, i'm not dealing in hypotheticals. be best to ask a political scientest.

(but if you "take over" something, doesn't that imply that the thing isn't independent anymore?)

we aren't competing on fucking Jeopardy, ferchrissakes,

geez.... no need for the fireworks

i'm not so much enjoying the debate, but it is interesting to me. i've discussed this with history and political science teachers in the past to no real conclusion, i'm wondering if people here have more insight.

i'll shut up if you wanna discuss the travel side of things more, although it's just been people posting lists so far.

So the question is, what do we call these entities.

"land masses inhabited by persons who have created good music"?

scotland: simple minds, travis, teenage fanclub, the proclaimers, etc.

wales: stereophonics, manic street preachers, the alarm, badfinger, etc.

northern ireland: the corrs, u2, van morrison, etc.

england: nothing good has ever come from england. :P

the separate country of ireland: the corrs, u2, van morrison, etc. ELVIS COSTELLO

hehe, don't get me started all over again!! my fingers are sore enough from the previous debate!

northern ireland: the corrs, u2, van morrison, etc.

U2 was formed in Dublin I'm pretty sure...which is in the Republic of Ireland which is def. a country. If we're getting picky, I believe a couple of the U2 boys were born in England (the Edge for sure). Also the Corrs were from Dundalk, which although very close to the border with Northern Ireland is still in the Republic...No arguements about Van Morrison though...from Belfast. Oh and AD isn't Elvis Costello born in England?