Jambands.ca

This is F@cked

SevenSeasJim

Hydro seeks rate hike citing lost revenue as consumers cut usage

Last Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2007 | 11:56 AM ET

CBC News

The popularity of energy conservation programs is hurting Toronto Hydro's bottom line and the utility is now seeking to raise electricity rates as a result.

Toronto Hydro-Electric System Ltd. has applied for a rate increase of 6.3 per cent on May 1 to recover a $10.4-million drop in revenue.

If approved, customers using about 1,000 kilowatt hours per month would see an increase of $2.07 on their bills, the utility says.

Toronto Hydro blames the fall in revenue on the success of conservation programs over the past two years and the cost of buying and installing thousands of smart meters.

Electricity loads in the city fell by 178.5 million kilowatt hours — enough to power 178,000 homes for a month — between spring 2005 and the end of 2006, said company president Anthony Haines.

Wouldn't that encourage even more non-consumption? Isn't that the goal?

Of course necessities would cost more, but it would raise more awareness right?

I was thinking that if you reduced your consumption by as much as possible then hydro ups its rates so that your bill is just as high as it was before that it's going to leave a really bad taste in your mouth. It's not dealing in good faith. i.e. I'm making a sacrifice but big business isn't.

yeah that much is true. the uproar (if anything that happens in canada can be considered an uproar) might cause the govt to force the hydro corps to find efficiencies, or the corps might do that on their own. regardless of what might happen or what should happen, the cost to run a power station doesn't fluctuate when no innovation or effeciencies are present. no wonder they're raising prices, they have no other way to recoup the costs at the moment.

definitely a bad taste, but it might trigger bigger changes too.

look at me with all my bad spelling and crap sentences. i hope william doesn't see this thread.

though it'd probably make us all broke we should really follow Australia's lead in this story

Australia says lights out to incandescent bulbs (by 2010)

their hydro companies hire large numbers of students to go door to door and change people's old bulbs to energy saving bulbs for them... a good move

(changing your bulbs yourself, if you haven't already, might save you a couple of bucks)

This makes the mammoth and ill-advised new Liberal-endorsed hyro plant being built on Toronto's waterfront all the more pathetic and infuriating.

how so?

I wonder what people think about Nuclear being touted as a green energy. Bruce Power just signed a deal with Ontario Energy Savings to " help bring emissions-free electricity to homeowners and small businesses while reducing their exposure to fluctuating prices."

Bruce Power

force the hydro corps to find efficiencies, or the corps might do that on their own. regardless of what might happen or what should happen, the cost to run a power station doesn't fluctuate when no innovation or effeciencies are present.

Could you clarify? Not really getting what you're saying here.

but it might trigger bigger changes too.

What kind of changes?