Jambands.ca

Caution Jam ,Diesel Dog live at Mavericks Saturday May 5th

Mavericks

I feel pretty bad for not being able to make it out and I knew full well that I was missing a great time. Timing is everything.

Instigator, claiming that Ottawa sucks is a pretty poor piece to post. It may work saying the Sens suck, but who are you to judge cities?

As Ollie said, there wasn't any promo going on and that is the sad part. Not everyone can make it to a show for support, but the damn venues/promoters have a to be accountable for getting people into their establishment.

This show was pinned here, no one asked for it or paid for it. It was just a good opportunity for people to get out and see some great music in Ottawa.

It's true too that Ottawa was full of material and missing alot of university crowd.

again, timing is everything and you can't put blame on Ottawa people.

I'm glad to hear that the people that did get out were treated to a good time, and also that Bradm was there because we all know we'll be able to listen to what happened in our cars, on our iPods, at work, on a boat...wherever.

Long Live live music and tapers!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true too that Ottawa was full of material and missing alot of university crowd.

yeah, I guess that was a lot of what was going on. I can't believe Mavericks slacked off on the promo...maybe they just thought, "book a jamband and they will come" because, usually, we do!

it was odd seeing the venue so empty when my other lasting memories involved nero and NYE...both uber-packed.

but hey, when does a gal get the chance to buy a round of shooters for everyone in the bar??? BIG UPS to you, Heather, you awesome and generous soul...that warming shot went down smoooooth (-ish) lol!!!

I was just about to whinge and complain here, but read the posts above, and see they got to everything I was going to say, so, I'll just say, God bless bradm, as always. I'm sure glad I caught DD the night before, though, and bummed not to have seen all the good music here.

I do get the sense that publicity for the place can be a little touch-and-go.

It is up to the community to promote these shows...people like us that are in the know (getting friends off the couch and out to the bar)

That is why our scene is in so much trouble. It seems like people have lost that passion/drive.

I don't think you can rely on the same people to come out every time. People tend to get married, have kids and added responsibility that takes them away from what was passionate for them in the past.

No bands can assume support from the exact same crowd and people indefinitely which is why it is wrong for people who aren't even in the area to diss an entire city of music fans.

I know that things change as you grow up and start a family...but some of the most passionate music fans I know are married and have kids!!

You have to MAKE time for this.

Just my two cents. Not dissing anyone here, except Stapes.

it is too bad not many showed, but hey that is life. freedom of choice.

sorry booche, i have to say though ottawa is not the best music city (i grew up there). i realize it has changed a bit, but even for bluesfest ya get your peeople telling you to sit down. i mean its music, dance peoeple! overall i feel it is just up from toronto in terms of the dancing factor. especially for bigger shows i find, ie. at scotiabank place. if you see a band there, then in montreal, the 'joie de vie' is missing. admittingly i was not there for the 'nero' years, which might of changed my mind about this.

just my opinion.

don't get me going about lawnchairs.

Every year I want to create a t-shirt to promote standing and dancing with a no-lawnchair logo and this year I want to add on the back "If you wanna see the band, learn to stand". Mind you, I haven't fulfilled this t-shirt venture yet but the idea is ripe.

I don't understand at all why they don't just create seperate spaces for lawn chairs...that would be great for the old, the tired, the disabled et, et the people that just plain would rather sit and enjoy. It could sooo easily be accomplished and remove the angsty atmosphere and please the artists I'm sure.

Being kicked in my achilles tendon by a gnarly, drunken, lawnchair assed biker chick will forever be in my memory banks...so will Low Roller diffusing the situation...pretty sure in hindsight that I would have lost that scrap and possibly wound up in the hospital.

i'm really glad i made it in time for some of caution jam, which was fun. :) very sorry to have missed diesel dog though, as i was hoping to see them too! but after being plied with (large amounts of) delicious food and bevvies all evening - a giant grilled pork chop, pre-brined with cinnamon and other spices (is there any other way? ;) ), absolutely amazing farfalle primavera in a red wine vinagrette, and fresh spinach greens with strawberries, After-8 shooters and other yummies, didn't quite get there on time.

hehe i posted like bouche! :P

i guess i'll have to see diesel dog sometime this summer.

thanks to all for coming to ottawa!

how could i have forgotten the plum compote? :grin:

I don't understand at all why they don't just create seperate spaces for lawn chairs...that would be great for the old, the tired, the disabled et, et the people that just plain would rather sit and enjoy.

in a letter to william that was posted here in another thread, a representative of bluesfest said they'd be doing exactly that this year. wasn't clear if it was for all stages, but it's a start.

Hey thanks to jambands.ca for support and the few folks that came out to the show. AND of course another thank you from all of us goes out to Brad for taping. The gas bill realy hurt us but we had fun playing and the party back at the hotel was a hoot! Hopefully more folks are planning to come out for Come Together in 2 weeks.

Now to go and lick my wounds. ;)

Every year I want to create a t-shirt to promote standing and dancing with a no-lawnchair logo and this year I want to add on the back "If you wanna see the band, learn to stand". Mind you, I haven't fulfilled this t-shirt venture yet but the idea is ripe.

not to be too much of a hen here, but there might be some people who really can't stand up all day long. i think it really makes sense to have the separate sections.