Jambands.ca

The official Canuck Soccer thread

Davey Boy 2.0

Now I don't know what to think in terms of whether or not the game will be on, live. We've got xpressvu and do get the sportsnet west channels but are they "digital"? I don't know. The website schedule indicates that it'll be on, but I guess I'll have to wait and see for sure.

Also from the sportsnet website:

Sportsnet.ca will stream the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifier between Canada and Jamaica from the National Soccer Stadium in Toronto, ON. The online stream will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET.

The game can also be seen live for digital subscribers in the Sportsnet West and Pacific regions. Viewers in Sportsnet East and Ontario can watch it on tape delay following the Blue Jays game.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as in to soccer as many of you but I have to think last night was a bit of a dissapointment. Team Canada couldn't take advantage of home field and gave away some points. They had some chances but couldn't convert.

With only 5 games left (3 on the road) they don't have much time to waste.

A decent game with some impressive offensive flair from Canada along with some frustrations and disappointment.

The sold-out crowd was excellent, boisterous and well-oiled: over 16 thousand pro-Canada fans to Jamaica's 5 thousand supporters. The place was buzzing from the beginning anthems, although the "epic" Jamaican anthem needed a Jimmy Page guitar solo to round it out.

The Canadians played a timid first half but really picked it up in the second and dominated the game, really, except for a few plays like Jamiaca's corner-kick goal, with Onstad doing his best David Seaman imitation. Both De Rosario and especially de Guzman were standouts. De Guzman was a marked man all night, but he was the best player and always dangerous. Jamaican goalie Ricketts was the only reason why the game was a tie.

Oh, and no surprise to anyone in attendance except my CONCACAF- ignorant wife: the officiating was terrible with many head-scatcher calls and cards, especially De Rosario's yellowcard: he pulled on a Jamaican defender's jersey, then five seconds later, the Jamaican drops to the turf like he was shot and rolls around. My co-worker told me that the fouls were 27-15 in Jamaica's favour. I think this partially threw Canada off its game in the first half.

Still, if you don't score you don't win. They didn't play desperate enough in the first half.

Onstadt cost them the game. brutal. how is he still the national keeper? every shot or cross really was a worry.

wheres lars? better option then pat.

de guzman was good, too bad about the cross bar, great shot. derasario really needs to calm down out there, cant afford to have him getting cards and possible suspensions.

why do they like Friend so much?

crowd was great.

with Onstad doing his best David Seaman imitation.

Oh, and no surprise to anyone in attendance except my CONCACAF- ignorant wife: the officiating was terrible with many head-scatcher calls and cards, especially De Rosario's yellowcard: he pulled on a Jamaican defender's jersey, then five seconds later, the Jamaican drops to the turf like he was shot and rolls around. My co-worker told me that the fouls were 27-15 in Jamaica's favour. I think this partially threw Canada off its game in the first half.

Still, if you don't score you don't win. They didn't play desperate enough in the first half.

onstad should never be in the same sentence as seaman. compare him to the shittiest keeper in your U-13 league for that mistake. he should be dropped for it.

ref was brutal but the yellow was a yellow.. dumb play by derosario, he hacked him down.

Edited by Guest

especially De Rosario's yellowcard

He totally deserved that yellow, if only for being an undisciplined idiot on the play. After he was done tugging on the jersy, he took a swipe at his ankle. While its easy to assume the Jamaican took a dive (which was NOT 5 seconds later), it was still a yellow card.

::yellow-cards Jaimoe for being ignorant::

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed TissueMan echoed the same sentiment.

I didn't look like the ref was going to card De Rosario until the Jamaican started to roll around in agony. I thought at the time De Rosario was going to get carded for the shirt-pull, but the foot-swipe is news to me since there was no replay on the big screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of WC qualifiers, the 2 England games are on at the Georgetown over the next 7 days. Don't think I'd bother with the Andorra game (although it may be the last game they win for a while), but the Croatia game might juuust be doable, depending on various things (like work)

SOCCER LIVE

England vs. Andorra *10$ cover charge

Saturday September 6 @ 2:00 PM

and

SOCCER LIVE

England vs. Croatia *10$ cover charge

Wednesday September 10 @ 3:00 PM