Jambands.ca

BBQ

ollie

a lotta people swear by the charcoal, personally i do like the process, having a beer, gettin er goin, another beer while things heat up then another beer to have on hand to dose the inevitable flare ups

aahhhh beer

Ok, the truth is that propane scares the shit out of me. I think I read an exploding tank story in the '80s and it scared me for life.

[color:#CCCCCC]They should be banned in apartment buildings.

• 1 month later...

We finally got a BBQ! We've had it maybe 6 days, and have eaten BBQ for dinner 6 times. So now that I'm thinking we might not cook any other way until it snows, and the same sort of thing every night will probably get old, who's got my heady BBQ recipes?

Congratulations on the BBQ purchase! bouche and I just love this book:

515VPEPXE8L._AA240_.jpg

Searching for a picture of it, I found that Amazon rates it the #1 BBQ book as well. (I'd take our word over Amazon's though ;) ) It's got great pictures, both easy and more challenging recipes and it really takes you step-by-step through the processes.

Oh, and the food tastes GOOD! Our favorite, brined pork chops. Good gawd.

Awesome, thanks. Luckily I work in a bookstore and I know we have it in stock. I always see his books but never really knew if the recipes were good or not. So I can have a look at it - I am interested to read about brining. I had come across it in my googling, and am curious! This one:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978156305866/1563058669/The-Barbecue-Bible?ref=Search+Books%3a+'Steven+Raichlen'

looks interesting, too.

We also got a pile of the new cookbook by the guy from License to Grill in stock recently. I have never watched the show, I wonder if it that one is any good...?

We also got a pile of the new cookbook by the guy from License to Grill in stock recently. I have never watched the show, I wonder if it that one is any good...?

Stick with the first book. Rob Rainford is a bit of a tool IMHO. I'm going to start posting my grill recipes. Sari do you have a cast iron skillet?? Those are key for BBQ cooking even if you dont have a side burner you can still cook on the grill top without ruining a pan.

Here is a good starter recipe for ya. Im typing out my recipe for BBQ sauce right now too.

NY Strip loin Steak topped with Goat Cheese and Cashews, Baked Sweet Potato and Grilled Red Peppers. An entire dinner from the BBQ and with very little mess or preparation.

1. After washing, wrap whole Sweet Potato in foil, drizzle with Olive oil and season with Salt and Pepper. Place on the top rack of the BBQ and let them bake on high heat for approx 45 minutes depending on the size. It is done when the Sweet Potato is soft when squeezed.

NY Strip loin

2-3 tbsp of Goat Cheese per steak and 2-3 tbsp of chopped cashews.

For Marinade; marinade the steak for at least 1 hr. Reserve 1/4 of marinade for the peppers.

1 garlic clove

1 tsp of thyme, rosemary,

1 tsp Worchester Sauce

1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper

1/2 tsp of dried mustard or Dijon mustard.

4 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 cup Olive Oil

Salt to taste

1. Marinade the steak for at least 1 hr. Reserve 1/4 of marinade for the peppers.

2. After marinating the steak(s), season with Salt and grill to your desired doneness.

3. Allow the steak top rest at least 2-3 minutes before serving.

4. At serving time, top with Goat Cheese and Cashews.

Peppers

Cut the peppers into large pieces and place into the reserved marinade. This can be done just before grilling. Start the peppers at the same time as the steak and they will be done as the steak finishes or when they reach the most vibrant red depending on how you like your steak cooked.

For Dessert

Grilled Rosemary Skewered Strawberry's over Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and Balsamic Syrup.

1 bunch of Fresh Rosemary

1 pint of strawberries

2-3 scoops of Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

1/2 cup of balsamic, reduced to syrup.

Clean and wash Strawberries. Trim all the leaves off a sprig of fresh Rosemary and use the stem to skewer the berries. Grill lightly and be very gentle with the berries, they will get soft. Place the warm skewer of berries on top of the frozen yogurt and drizzle with the Balsamic syrup. ENJOY!

Rob Rainford is a tool indeed! The very first time I watched his show, he said "...and that's why women can't BBQ, they have no patience." Needless to say that rubbed me the wrong way.

Brining is AWESOME. We had brined chicken breasts a couple days ago and some KILLER brined pork chops. It couldn't be easier. I'm getting hungry.

Thanks MOBE, I'll have to try that steak marinade sometime. We've been grilling lots of peppers, we had some yummy porkchops with a molasses rub, last night Craig made walnut and parm encrusted chicken breasts, and tonight I'm going to turn some ground beef into burgers, I think.

Mmmm we've had a few good rounds or burgers now. Went to the Farmer's market yesterday, so the burgers were nice and fresh last night. We also got bacon, which QQC and Schwa and Bryan are BBQing right now... I'm a little worried. It'd better be crispy!

Edited by Guest

Caribou loins this sunday! Can't fuckin wait.

Now your talking AM. Canada has the best wild game meat selection anywhere in the world. My brother brought me back Caribou and Mule Deer at christmas from Alberta. Id love to get some more.

Sorry this took me a little while but I was busy with Mothers Day all last week. Here is my BBQ Sauce recipe. This is an awesome little sauce that started from a dirty bacon fried on pan I didnt want to wash after a Sunday morning breakfast. The easiest way to clean a pan is to heat it up and 'De-glaze' it and with the wife on my tail to get the dishes done this was the fastest way I knew how. I put the pan back on the heat, but when I smelt the bacon again I decided to play around with the fat and this is where I ended up. It made for an awesome dinner that night and it all started from breakfast. One of the best days I ever had in my kitchen I think. I braised Pork Tenderloin and Chicken in that sauce that night and they were killer!

Sometimes I also make this with smokies insted of bacon.

[color:blue]Steve's BBQ Sauce

5-6 strips of bacon chopped the smokier the better. I buy the double smoked/cured bacon.

2-3 cloves of fresh garlic crushed

1 small white onion

2 Tbsp of Coriander

1 Tbsp of Cumin

1 Tbsp of Garam Masala

1 Tbsp of Mustard powder or 1 tsp of fresh crushed mustard seed.

1 tsp of Chili Flakes **** see bottom for making this hot

2 Tbsp of dried Thyme or alot of fresh thyme because I like it.

1 Diced tomatoe

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of maple syrup **dont use unless you have real maple syrup.

1 Lemon, juice of

1/2 Cup of Malt Vinergar or 1/4 cup of Balsamic if you like it super sweet.

1 bottle of Heinz Ketchup or Chili Sauce.

**** if you want to add some heat to this recipe I recommend you add either Chipotle Pepper to this or Adobo sauce for a medium heat. These will

add a nice smokiness to the recipe.

***This sauce can be cooled and refrigerated and should last a few weeks.

1. In a good sized skillet over medium/low heat start rendering the bacon. While the bacon fat cooks down you should have enough time to gather

the rest of what you need.

2. Once you have a good amount of bacon fat for cooking in add the onions, the garlic and spices. Turn up the heat to medium high.

3. When the onions have softened and cleared up add the diced tomatoe and continue to sautee gently for until the tomatoe breaks down. (If the

pan is sizzling hot turn it down to medium.)

4. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup.

5. Once the sugar is all melted down add the vinegar. Stir the vinergar in until the content of the pan are emulsified.

Stand back and dont breathe it in when you do this. Make sure your fan is on and the window is open. Dont say you werent warned.

6.DO NOT use white vinegar. It isnt for consumption, it is a cleaning product.

7. Add the Chili Sauce, lower the heat and allow to simmer for at least 10-15 before use.