Jambands.ca

Ornette Coleman added to Roo!!!

afro poppa

Excellent news that he can still play, the guy was huge in the advancement of the avante-garde jazz scene in the sixties.

Roo has always been good at getting the big guns to represent various forms of music whether it be bluegrass, blues or hip hop or whatever.

Roo is a music fan's heaven.

I've only heard a little bit of Ornette Coleman in my day but I often cite what I've heard as some of the most impossible music to listen to / most inaccessible music I've ever heard. Still pretty cool that the Roo is willing to do that.

I think Coleman was hard to listen to because he was so different when he came out. So for regular jazz listeners who were used to Miles' cool and modal jazz of the late 40's and 50's, they didn't really give the music much of a chance.

But I think as fans of "jam" music or "experimental" whatever, Ornette Coleman is a must see/listen to.

I am dissapointed that I missed him when he was in TO and I am dissapointed I will miss him at Roo.

I only heard a bit of free jazz stuff.. You know: no set mode, tempo, key, no set anything. Improvisation in every possible sense. Don't get me wrong, it was intriguing stuff! Just very challenging.

Edited by Guest