Jambands.ca

'homemade' pizza! hell yeah!~

Davey Boy 2.0

the homeade is qualified since i would assume few people make the dough, sauce and everything from scratch.

but anyway there are those kits you can get, dough and sauce that seem to work out well for us. easy and tastey.

the question is- what goes on yours?

we tend to add spices to the sauce, oregano, garlic and onion powder, pepper and a drop of hotsauce. then it's usually monterey jack and parmesan cheese, salami/pepperoni, and a blend of garlic roasted veggies- peppers, portabello mushies, red onion. I like to cut open up an italian sausage as well, brown it and add to the mix

my folks used to buy kraft pizza kits too and while i can't imagine ever buying them again (the dough alone seems like a huge chore), every now and then i get a craving for that kinda pizza...

Pizza for me is one of those things that 99% of the time is made better by someone with:

1. An oven that reaches 700 or 800 degrees

2. The time and skill to rise a really good dough

Home folks can put better toppings and sauce on but by that point you've spent more than the cost of a pie delivered to your house. That's my rationale for ordering it anyway...I went through a stint making it at home and it was always pretty good but never as good as a pie from a pizza place.

Sourdough thin crust. The rest is flexible.

My favourite bread is sourdough and I have a two year old starter going (frozen currently) that I have used for making the crust and breads in the past.

I don't make it very often though because I always forget to take the starter out and let it refresh overnight, so I end up wanting pizza and just end up ordering it. Which isn't very often.

I've never seen anyone offer a sourdough crust, outside of a few resturants I've seen.

I'm a spaz when it comes to dough but I don't always let that stop me. I've done the from-scratch deal before: homemade dough, homemade sauce. But it's a lot of effort for a little oven that can't go over 500 deg C. My dough always ended up underdone or burnt, but never right.

So, ordering in is the way to go, for me.

Having said that, Hamilton has the infamous "Roma Pizza" - essentially the oiliest piece of soft pillowy dough you can imagine marinated in garlicky sauce. It's to die for. Not sure where else you can get it. It reminds me of being in Grade 5 and shelling out 35 cents a piece on pizza day. There's a boner I'll never have again.

I would like to let Ottawa folks know that

1. Fida's Pizza is half-price when you pick it up during the week

2. Fida's seems to be the only place still doing the dough ball..you know for those that like it (i.e. pre-menstrual chicks)

3. Fida's hangs a green shirt in the window when there's some green available for purchase in the store. or so the Germans would have you believe!

I would like to let Ottawa folks know that

1. Fida's Pizza is half-price when you pick it up during the week

2. Fida's seems to be the only place still doing the dough ball..you know for those that like it (i.e. pre-menstrual chicks)

3. Fida's hangs a green shirt in the window when there's some green available for purchase in the store. or so the Germans would have you believe!

i ate a lot of that while living in old ottawa south for 6 years. love the dough ball. that 'green shirt' stuff is a great urban legend that never gets old.