Jambands.ca

Official 2007 NHL Playoff Thread

badams

i loved brett hull's commentary on the alfredsson goal, he managed to keep a straight face until the very end when he started giggling. (talking about goals allowed / disallowed in the finals etc...) we were yelling so loud at the tv, then realised maybe he was just putting on an act. who knows. i found it hilarious after the fact though.

i might watch the nbc play by play tonight

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

I'll take whatever I can get.

I'm not a big fan of the on-ice interviews just because I think it's a distraction and may take precious seconds away from strategizing or setting a play. However I've only seen it a couple of times during the regular season and haven't watched any NBC recently.

I guess the bottom line is who gets the better ratings?

CBC all the way here!

Voice your opinion (if you even have one) that Bob and Harry need to go. Watch NBC.

I'm watching on NBC tomorrow night for sure! Way better commentary and balanced coverage.

I was really ticked-off at CBC's coverage last night. I didn't know that CBC turned into SBC (Senators Broadcasting Corporation). I've never seen a Cup Final game on CBC that was so completely biased in every sense. There wasn't just one, but two, intro montages that were comprised completely of Sens replays, and Sens lyrics. There was absolutely no time given to the team that is actually leading the series and will most likely win it.

What's CBC going to do when the Ducks win? All of a sudden scramble for a Ducks montage? They'll start talking then about the talent and tenacity the team had? Where's all the coverage of the hometowns in Canada where all the players involved come from (Sens or Ducks)? It used to be that the Cup Final was broadcast as a celebration of the best in the game. This year, it seems to be about covering the favoured (at the time) Senators and ignoring their opponent in this round until they have to.

NBC (as scary as that sounds to me) will be getting my support for the remainder of this Stanley Cup Final.

For better and inevitably for worse, I'm the biggest Cherry fan on this board and I cringed during Cherry NBC segment. I think the NBC producers and on-air talent had an agenda to blatantly provoke Cherry into answering premeditated low-ball fight questions instead of talking about the game at hand. Brett Hull is a phony and a pansy and couldn't take Dennis Leary in an on-ice fight, but he sure talks like he was a tougher hockey player than Stan Jonathan.

The CBC got rid of a lot of their replacement options for Bob. Chris Cuthbert would be a perfect fit as the #1 play-by-play voice. Ken Daniels left years ago and he was a perfect candidate for the CBC's #2 guy, although I think Don Whitman is the most underrated voice in the business, especially if you take into account his excellent work with football and the Olympics.

I used to like Pierre, but he never shuts the fuck up.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Great comments. The person responsible for Chris Chuthbert "leaving" left the CBC herself a number of months ago (Nancy Lee). Doesn't that just suck when somebody makes a bonehead move like that, then leaves, and is nice enough to leave their mess behind :(

CBC has the big contract with the NHL for the next 6 or 8 years (TV, Internet, etc.) They had better have some sort of plan for improvement over the next couple of years.

TSN has a crew that rivals the CBC, thanks in part to mining ex-CBC personalities like Cuthbert and Healy. The main reason why TSN isn't as good as the CBC is that they hired Darren Dreger. I know why they hired him, but they made a mistake.

TSN has a crew that rivals the CBC, thanks in part to mining ex-CBC personalities like Cuthbert and Healy. The main reason why TSN isn't as good as the CBC is that they hired Darren Dreger. I know why they hired him, but they made a mistake.

Why was that?

TSN has a crew that rivals the CBC' date=' thanks in part to mining ex-CBC personalities like Cuthbert and Healy. The main reason why TSN isn't as good as the CBC is that they hired Darren Dreger. I know why they hired him, but they made a mistake. [/quote']

Why was that?

My friend is the VP of Programming at TSN. He told me that one of the only reasons they hired Dreger was because of he gets the "scoops". I argued that all the station's get the same "scoops" within a minute before they break and Dreger is tough to like as an on-air personality - he even wore out his welcome at the inferior Sportsnet NHL roundtable. He agreed, but clearly wasn't the one that hired Dreger.

Viewership for the playoffs is almost always reflective of what teams are in it. In the States it really does help to have a 'high profile' team with stars on it ... like Colorado, Detroit, New York. I still find it bizarre that if Canada is such a hockey nation, why the average viewers for the FINALS are so low! Here is an article that has the numbers for the US and Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/hockey/070607/h060735A.html

CBC's Cup final ratings down 18 per cent from 2006 series

Published: Thursday, June 7, 2007 | 8:51 PM ET

Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) - CBC's coverage of the Stanley Cup final averaged 2.502 million viewers, an 18-per-cent dip from last year.

This year's series between Ottawa and Anaheim drew the third-highest overall average for a Cup final on CBC in the last 10 years and sixth-highest since 1989.

Last year's Edmonton-Carolina series, which went seven games, averaged 3.042 million viewers. The 2004 series between Calgary and Tampa Bay attracted an average of 3.735 million, the highest since 1989.

An average of 2.163 million viewers tuned in to watch Anaheim win the Cup on Wednesday night with a 6-2 win over Ottawa in Game 5.

Last year's Game 5 between the Oilers and the Hurricanes averaged 2.690 million viewers on CBC.

Overall, CBC's playoff ratings were down 10 per cent from last year as an average of 1.477 million viewers tuned in compared to 1.649 million in 2006.

The highest CBC audience for a Stanley Cup final was 4.957 million for Game 7 of the Canucks-Rangers series on June 14, 1994.

In the U.S., the Cup final had record-low network television ratings.

The three games aired on NBC averaged a 1.6 rating and a 3 share, the network said Thursday. That's down 20 per cent from the 2.0/4 drawn for the same three games last year.

Game 5 received a 1.8/3, down 28 per cent from last year's 2.5/4 in Game 5.

In the U.S., the rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

Edited by Guest

curious, do those stats reflect the true numbers? if 50 people are watching one TV (or 5000 at city hall for that matter), and 1 person is watching another TV, that just counts as 2 TVs "viewers" not 51 right (i mean wouldn't they be counting how many TVs were on? i don't know how this works.?)

thanks.