Jambands.ca

BLUESFEST LINEUP RELEASED

AD

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With an airy new Lebreton Flats venue and a deep and exciting lineup featuring diverse acts like Bob Dylan, The White Stripes and Kanye West, the 2007 Bluesfest is getting a major makeover this year.

Running from July 5-15, the 11-day festival boasts 147 musical acts on five stages. It also marks a return to Lebreton Flats after five years at an increasingly cramped Ottawa City Hall location.

This year, two main stages will face each other at the spacious, south lawn entrance of the Canadian War Museum, featuring continuous music and boosting capacity to 30,000 people from the 20,000 who have made an awkward fit into Festival Plaza.

"This is just a site that's built for large scale events," said Monahan. As for the music, there appears to be something for everyone.

Monahan, "a huge fan" of The White Stripes, said he was personally psyched to get the eclectic Detroit brother-sister outfit.

The festival has also tried repeatedly to get Dylan, and, to work around his Montreal date, added the extra, opening day on July 5 to secure his performance. Monahan says another get was the Steve Miller Band, which rarely comes this way.

"The festival is definitely recognized as a great play in Canada," said Monahan. "I think that's happened over time, so when artists plan a tour they definitely look at this festival as a great opportunity to meet a lot of people."

Monahan says because 25% of Bluesfest goers are under 35, hot rap acts like Kanye West are essential to the lineup. But the festival is never just about the main stage, and with acts like The Flatlanders, Los Lobos and the return of Buddy Guy, Monahan is confident there will be something for everyone.

"There's a lot of stuff there for the blues guys. I think that audience has changed as well. I think a lot of our audience loves Buddy Guy and The Flatliners, but they also like some Tex Mex stuff, some rock stuff," said Monahan. "The audience for this event is really pretty diverse and I think the way we program this, people actually like the opportunity to see all this other stuff."

The festival is heavy on solid acts like George Thorogood & the Destroyers, George Clinton & The P-Funk, Randy Newman, Sam Roberts Band and the reality-show creation that is the new INXS. There are also many returning favourites like Michael Franti & Spearhead, Aussie multi-instrumentalist Xavier Rudd and Ottawa mainstays Blue Rodeo, who continue to draw a healthy crowd no matter how many times they return.

This Bluesfest also features 25 Ottawa bands, including Jim Bryson and Souljazz Orchestra.

Tickets for the Ottawa Bluesfest go on sale April 28 at 10 a.m. through Capital Tickets (613-599-3267, www.capitaltickets.ca), all Sports Experts locations, Compact Music's two Bank St. locations and the Rideau Centre kiosk across from Roots. Festival passports run from $160-$385, weekend passports are from $85-$115, while single day outdoor tickets range from $30 to $95, depending on area. Visit www.ottawabluesfest.ca for more information.

and popo weenie's band as well?

The Mighty Popo

Crrrrraaaazzzzzyyyyyyy!

he's awesome, actually...and also played MY high-school aud a month ago, but didn't get the press that Arcade Fire did.....

anyway...quite stoked for this line-up, fo' so'....

...lots of crash space available here for outtatowners, though we are a bit of a trek from the downtown core.....

I wonder...with

moe.

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

Michael Franti & Spearhead

Soul Jazz Orchestra

Xavier Rudd

Built to Spill

on the list, will they be allowing people to record these artists? I may send an e-mail to one of their contact addresses to check.

Aloha,

Brad

What a year to decide to go to Europe in July.

I'm getting impatient about Bob Dylan announcing his tour a Canadian gig here and a Canadian gig there. I want all the dates to figure out what gig I will be able to attend in June and/or July that do not conflict with June 29-July 15.

Tim

Go see Chris Duarte if you have a chance...likely not going to be touted as a "heavy hitter" in this forum' date=' I thought I'd give him a little bit of promotion...he's AMAZING![/quote']

Agreed. I remember seeing him open up for Buddy Guy at LuLu's (Kitchener) YEARS ago. Blew me away. Bought his new release at the time: Texas Sugar Strat Magik. Great album.

I caught that show also - looking at the stub right now - Buddy Guy, Chris Duarte and Mel Brown Thursday March 9th 1995 ($15.75 ticket price)

We recorded it also. I have the show on cassette still to this day. I also caught the next nights show with Buddy and Duarte at Convcation hall, but I found Duarte was just way too loud for the place.