Jambands.ca

speeding ticket....how to get out of them.

so i got a speeding ticket on April 15 2006.

a court date was issued Augest 16th 2006 for June 5th 2007.

my uncle is a dentist and doesn't share my last name... infact he's not even my uncle...he's actually my distance relative. (but we're close)

how many days after a ticket is issued must you appear before a judge or else it is VOID?

can i get out of this court date and pospone it with a doctor's note?

should i?

is there any other sneaky method of getting out of a traffic ticket?

thanks in advance...

-dima

if its actually appearing before the judge youre worried about, i cant comment. but, if its facing the music youre averse to, you can buy some time by requesting a recess, "to speak to" is the term i used. basically it means that you have not had the time to speak to a lawyer, or agent, or request disclosure (the package containing all documents such as officer's notes, ticket details, and papers relating to your case) and that you need some additional time to do it. if this is your first time in front of the judge regarding this summons, and you have not received disclosure from the crown, you might get another three to four months before you have to enter a plea and plead your case.

edit: i should also mention that my ticket was an automatic summons because i was travelling more than 50km/h over the posted speed limit. in that case you have no choice, you have to go to court. and no, it was not in my bus.

Edited by Guest

I got outta my speeding ticket because the cop never showed up for court, apparently this is quite common. So hope for that!

However it wouldn't hurt to have a good case prepared just in case. There are lots of ways to question the validity of the radar (if that's how you were pinched). Also your court date is more than a year from the offence, you can argue charter of rights, and that you weren't granted a speedy trial. You have to submit some paper work for this though, but should probably get you off.

Don't quote me on the following-I have only a hazy remembrance of HTA class-but;

1. Showing up for court will invariably result in a lesser fine and demerit points-I know our local court automatically offers this upon arrival in an effort to clear cases faster.

2. Yes sometimes the cop doesn't show up-but not as often as you might hope.They have to have a really good reason not to do so-they can get in trouble for not being there.My first time appearing in HTA court a cop didn't show up and almost half the docket was his.The C was PISSED and sent a complaint letter to the detachment.(He was also a Professor and told me that later)

3. Radar-not a great argument.Kind of going the way of arguing breathalyzer results-meaning won't cut it.The common law usually rounds a curve with new technology-first it is open to attack( and thus used as an opening for reasonable doubt) and then as it proves itself fairly reliable the law supports it as almost infallible evidence. I think one of the tricks with radar is asking whether the officer calibrated it at the beginning of his/her shift.

4.Charter rights.Depends on what the general and reasonable term is in the appropriate jurisdiction.If yours falls within that general time limit-even if it seems long-than it probably won't work.

It's my personal pet peeve when people use Charter rights arguments for petty complaints.Its a speeding ticket for fuck sake.Stop clogging up the system!!!!AAArrggghhh!!!

5. Hiring somebody-the system is fairly transparent when you apply a little research and a modicum of intelligence to it.There is nothing that a paralegal can do for you that you can't do for yourself if you have the time.

Are you just playing with the system of is there a specic outcome you NEED? Insurance reasons, blah,blah,blah.

Edited by Guest
grammar

Examine the ticket itself for any missing information:

- is the date on the ticket correct?

- are your name and licence number correct?

- did the cop fill in all of his/her information (name, badge number, etc.)?

- is your licence plate number correct?

- are the details regarding the event itself correct?

Check ALL of that crap. I once got out of a speeding ticket because the cop forgot to put the date on the ticket.

Unfortunately errors on the ticket don't matter any more. There are considered clerical errors, and will just be updated.

When I went to court, all the cases on the docket were for two officers, neither of which showed up. It *seemed* like pretty standard procedures going down.

In my mind your going for all or nothing... They'll probably offer you a plee or whatever, but it's all bunk. The main thing is the record of your offence, the insurance companies will find out and jack ya, whether you lost points or not. So ya gotta get the charges dismissed.

All you really have to do is create some reasonable doubt that it was you the cop got on the radar. Given how radar works if you make a competent argument you should be able to raise some doubt.

Never admit you were guilty.

Clog the system I say! This isn't a free country, you can't even cross the street at the wrong time without the risk of getting a ticket.

Edited by Guest

All you really have to do is create some reasonable doubt that it was you the cop got on the radar. Given how radar works if you make a competent argument you should be able to raise some doubt.

except it might not be a radar gun that caught you. the OPP uses laser guns, don't know about local police forces. i'd love to see anyone that doesn't know what they're talking about get out of a speeding ticket by questioning the technology. please post the court transcripts so we can all have a laugh.

but good luck getting out of a ticket. in 2 months my driving record will be clean again and my insurance will take a nice nosedive. it's better to get those tickets dropped!!

edit - and you don't lose points anymore, you gain points. the more points, the worse.

Edited by Guest

so i got a speeding ticket on April 15 2006.

a court date was issued Augest 16th 2006 for June 5th 2007.

my uncle is a dentist and doesn't share my last name... infact he's not even my uncle...he's actually my distance relative. (but we're close)

how many days after a ticket is issued must you appear before a judge or else it is VOID?

can i get out of this court date and pospone it with a doctor's note?

should i?

is there any other sneaky method of getting out of a traffic ticket?

thanks in advance...

-dima

don,t even try it, i am serious about this one

go to court and be there on time.

what does your "uncle" being a dentist have to do with your speeding ticket? was he giving away nitrous or something? pay the ticket. you were speeding. if you were really speeding (and demerit points are involved), Birdy's advice is good - pointts. also, you provide no details. was this in a school zone. if so, you probably deserve the ticket. was it on a country road? were you passing a gravel truck? was trey in the back seat screaming, faster ... weeeeeeeeeh?

I was under the impression that your first speeding ticket, below a certain speed, was a "bye" from your insurance company? I got one going 127 on the 401 and my insurance did not go up. Ironically the ticket came off my record 3 years later, and one moth after that I got another one.