Jambands.ca

Dead Symphony?

Kanada Kev

Interesting. They have some audio samples on the site too.

http://www.deadsymphony.com/

cover1.jpg

Tracks - Writers/Composers:

01. Dead Overture mvt I

02. Saint Stephen mvt II (Hunter, Garcia, Lesh)

03. Here Comes Sunshine mvt III (Hunter, Garcia)

04. Mountains of the Moon mvt IV (Hunter, Garcia)

05. Blues for Allah mvt V (Hunter, Garcia)

06. Sugar Magnolia mvt VI (Hunter, Weir)

07. To Lay Me Down mvt VII (Hunter, Garcia)

08. If I Had the World to Give mvt VIII (Hunter, Garcia)

09. Stella Blue mvt IX (Hunter, Garcia)

10. Bird Song mvt X (Hunter, Garcia)

11. China Doll mvt XI (Hunter, Garcia)

12. Dead Finale mvt XII

Performers:

Lee Johnson - Composer/Conductor

Russian National Orchestra

"The essence of the Dead's music was improvisation, and the root of that is an attitude that says transformation is at the center of all art. Dead Symphony takes different fragments of the Dead's music and reweaves them into a sparkling tapestry that satisfies a whole 'nother realm of possibility."

Dennis McNally, Grateful Dead Historian and Publicist

"When I was approached by Lee Johnson about licensing 10 of the Grateful Dead's most popular tunes for his orchestral work, Dead Symphony No. 6., my reaction was 'about time.' Always, listening to those songs over the decades, particularly in the context of the Dead's own musical sensibility which stretched to classical music and the 'orchestral' as far as was possible within the limits of rock 'n roll instrumentation, I'd wanted to hear a symphonic interpretation. In Lee Johnson's hands, it is the Grateful Dead's genius with melody which is brought out. He has shown that music has no boundaries."

Alan Trist, Ice Nine Publishing Company

The most completely realized symphonic masterwork of the music of the Grateful Dead.

Proof of what Deadheads have known all along -- what they have been hearing and experiencing is bigger than mere words have ever been able to describe. When Dead Symphony no. 6 finds its way into your local concert hall, dancing might be a slight problem but the listening will be sweet.

It was "China Doll" that opened the door for Lee Johnson, initiating his personal journey into the Dead, through an introduction by longtime fan and music producer, Mike Adams. Mike took the Beethoven, Stravinsky, and Shostakovich loving composer and introduced him to American roots music, as exemplified, by the Grateful Dead. Each and every recording, score, and lyric that was experienced and studied helped to pass the genetic material of the Dead's core essence into Lee's creative compositional mind. Johnson's symphonies now number eight and his body of work includes DVD Symphonic Films, and works for every genre.

"When Dead Symphony no. 6 finds its way into your local concert hall, dancing might be a slight problem but the listening will be sweet."

It'll have to be some pretty tight security– i would think– to stop the hippies from doing the inevitable

Edited by Guest
thirst