Jambands.ca

need tips on things to do

AD

going to be in vancouver from may 24 - 31, with the exception of the 26 and 27 when i'll be at the Gorge for Sasquatch.

looking for tips on things to do that are different than what one would do in ontario. already are planning on going sea kayaking, hiking some mountains, lots of biking... wondering if there are any hidden gems that people may know of.

the lower the price the better too!

good restaurants, good shoppes, sights, etc... any tips at all appreciated.

i haven't been in vancouver for more than a couple of days for about 12 years, very excited to visit in a few weeks

You have to eat at a restaurant in Dunbar called "Baru". The food is incredible. (Their scallops taste like lobster.)

It's Peruvian food, and the owner is there 7 days a week. If you even appear to not be having the greatest meal of your life he will run over to ask what is wrong.

It is casual, and fairly inexpensive.

Otherwise ... go to Whistler.

thanks mr mountain - i have to ask, are there veggie options at this restuarant you suggested? i love the meat and especially scallops, but the girlfriend is a vegetarian...

whistler might be in the cards, not sure. don't have too much time to do stuff, and the friends i'm visiting work 9-5 in vancouver...

i should also mention we are staying 3 blocks south of East hastings near the end of false creek, near strathcona park. will have car and bicycle transportation.

i don't think the island is in the cards for the limited time we have. i'd love to go back there though.

thanks for the breakfast suggestion, i will look that up.

I see you figured out the menu.

Re Whistler, though, if you are going to go there make sure to let me know. I'll have a friend of mine be your tourguide (if you want).

You can probably still snowboard, too, but I think the Mountain may be closed at that time and reopening June 2. You should check, though.

I thought of another "hidden gem".

If you don't know where you are staying in Vancouver, you should absolutely stay at the Sylvia Hotel, at least for a night or two. I believe it is older than Vancouver itself, and it's all freaky inside because it was renovated three times in three different eras, so the furniture is craziliy mismatched (but opulent). Also, the floors are all weird, going up and down like ramps, but I think it happened because the building settled over the years.

Check it out. http://www.sylviahotel.com/

Great Breakfast - Seb's (on Broadway and Carolina which is just west of Fraser). Go during the week to avoid humungus line up.

Cafe Du Sole on Commercial Dr. has a good breakfast, then it's a good area to walk around and shop.

Lots of great Indian food! Off the top of my head.... "Indian Oven" in Kitsalano, or a fusiony vegetarion Indian place on Commercial Dr. called "Yogi's".

The best Burrito place ever.... "Budgies". It's a very small vegetarian place on Kingsway just before it meets Main North of Broadway. Go for lunch.

At some point, go see the band "Brickhouse". Thursdays @ the Fairview 10:00 - 2:00am. Friday and Sat. @ the Yale from 12:30 - 3:00am and Sunday @ the Yale from I think 8:30 - 2:00am.

Keep an eye on the message boards in www.upstreamentertainment.com and www.bonfirepresents.com for other events.

I'm sure there's many more ideas to come...

You're staying in a great central location and it's perfect that you'll have bikes. Make sure you get a lock and take your bikes anywhere.

Edited by Guest

another great Indian place is right near Budgies Burritos on Main St. - called 'Nirvana' @ 8th/Main. Best Indian I've had in Vancouver... Yogi's is really good too, but all vegetarian.

Sebs is excellent brekkie, but if you're looking for a weekend brunch without a crazy lineup try The Main at 27th/Main. They do a version of huevos rancheros that is insanely good and it's never too busy there.

ps: you should come a day early to check out Hot Buttered Rum!

i like the dutch panakoek house for a super yummy panakoek breakfast :) there are a few around so if you see one try it out.

i also like kits beach for hanging out.

if you haven't seen the museum of anthropology at ubc, definitely check that out!

what is a panakoek? and i've been to that museum, but it was about 12 years ago. has it changed much? i imagine there are new exhibits and all that... ah yes the beaches are nice...

"Budgies" is absolutely not "the best Burrito place ever" - for the best burrito ever you have to go to Mexico or California. But it IS the best burrito place in Vancouver, and I strongly recommend it.

Drop by the BCMP Bookstore/HQ (307 West Hastings Street) and buy a NO EXTRADITION tee-shirt or three. Then drop by the New Amsterdam Cafe next door for something to eat (or smoke).

Our Town Cafe is my fav local coffee shop, and it's right down the street from Budgies. Free wi-fi (which admittedly is very common in Vancouver).

The Naam on West 4th is awesome vegetarian food with a good vibe.

It's open 24 hrs and has live music between 7 & 10pm

the artist lineup while you are in Van is...

Thr 24 Brandy Gibb Guitar & Vocals

Fri 25 Ryan Ens Classical Guitar

Sat 26 Robert Bertrand Celtic Blues & Guitar

Sun 27 Joel Lower Guitar & Violin

Mon 28 Shanto Cello

Tue 29 Fransiscus Terpstra Spanish & Classical Guitar

Wed 30 Andrew Kim Sitar

Thr 31 Les Finnigan Instrumental Guitar

The Naam

Edited by Guest
cause I love sitar

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to do some kayaking and have wheels, hit up the North Shore and go out to Deep Cove...plenty of places to kayak in van but the cove might be more peaceful for you. I can also recomend a few great places to eat on the north shore if you think you will be heading up this way.....and you should!!

I also might have a lift ticket for Whistler kicking around if you're looknig to go up...I won't be able to make it up before June 3rd...the ticket would be free of course.

Edited by Guest