Favorite Venue?

Jared

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st: Bowery Ballroom, NYC

Everything is perfect. Lights, sound, drink menu, sightlines, staff...

2nd: The Old Miami, Detroit

Old Vietnam vet bar. Small stage in the corner.

Only place I know where you can drink a beer, and sort through gutted grenades that are stocked in an unplugged beer fridge on the customer side of the bar.

3rd: Burt's Tiki Lounge, Salt Lake City

Dirty. Rock posters EVERYWHERE. They serve Jack Daniels and Miller. That's it. Always $5 at the door no matter what band.

Frontier Ghost Town

I'm still a sucker for Izzy's on that score (mind you, I've only been to one CTMF at Ghost Town, and it was cold and miserable that weekend).

Seeing the pics above, I'm starting to think we need to get to more shows in the Rockies....

I have very fond memories of the Zenith in Paris, where we were lucky to catch the Dead in 1990. The gardens there - lit up at night with running multicoloured lights along the ground - made for a wonderfully surreal setting before and after the show, and the space inside was nicely intimate.

3386-538-565.jpg

P19JardinBambChe.jpg

Paris%20-%20Un%20passant%20a%20la%20Villette.jpg

The Gorge at George in Washington.

i can't wait to go there in a little over 3 weeks!!

sasquatchfestival.com

AD do you happen to rockclimb? If so, definitely bring your gear. There is some adequate sport climbing nearby at a crag called Vantage. As long as you stay on the 3 star routes, it's pretty decent climbing. (Although, I guess you'll be at a festival, so you probably have your whole day booked up. Usually when I'm there I have my days free, and a show at night.)

Camping by the crag is cool, too. Five minutes from the venue, but on its own, if you want to get away.

Town Ballroom Love this place, and it's well run too.

George Weston Recital Hall up in North York. The best acoustics I have heard. Big Wolly Mammoth, remember when we had that subscription there for the Jazz Giants? Killer. OVer a couple of years, I got to see Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, Mel Torme, Joshua Redman, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, Julian Bream, Tony Benett, and more (have to pull out ticket stubs )

gwrhrentalleft.jpg