Jambands.ca

Worst Venues?

Jaimoe

Comfort Zone as much as I had fun at this venue, the low ceiling and not much of a stage/riser for the band, pillars, etc. didn't provide for sightlines (particularly frustrating for performers like Charlie Hunter who played sitting on a chair ... only the people right in front of him could see him perform on his wild guitars)

I remember talking to Jimmy Herring at The Comfort Zone and I asked him what he thought of the Comfort Zone. He rolled his eyes and said: "Oh man..."

I nominate Jaimoe to put this list together.

Worst venue? Scherzo's in Kingston when BnB was playing, they ran out of BOOZE! Granted, they were closing down in a week or so...but there is NO EXCUSE for running out of BOOZE!

love this place. booze or not. artwork on the wall, WOOD dance floor, candles on the table for light, no beer advertisements everywhere, and velvety curtain behind stage, all adds up to a small comfortable space to get lost in. had many many a good show there.

They have to mix it and master it after they record it...which can aid in the overall feel of the sound.

yeah, but doesn't the onstage mix ("the performer's point of view") directly impact how they perform? wouldn't you want your best performance on your live album?

why would they pick the venue if it's not going to bring out the best performance?

Comfort Zone as much as I had fun at this venue' date=' the low ceiling and not much of a stage/riser for the band, pillars, etc. didn't provide for sightlines (particularly frustrating for performers like Charlie Hunter who played sitting on a chair ... only the people right in front of him could see him perform on his wild guitars)[/quote']

I remember talking to Jimmy Herring at The Comfort Zone and I asked him what he thought of the Comfort Zone. He rolled his eyes and said: "Oh man..."

When Jimmy played there he asked us why there was no barricade at the front of the stage. I asked him what kind of drink it was and I'll see if I can get it for him.

Operahouse. Nothing like being crammed like a sardine trying to sway back and forth out of sync with a hundred other people in front of you so you can catch 0.3 seconds of stage view every 4.5 seconds. Than when you need a drink...........

I'm not as bitter as I sound but I am serious.......

I agree with that - my fond memories of the Opera House inevitably center on being in a good position on the balcony. Downstairs, it leaves much to be desired, unless you can nab that space a few steps up from the floor.

I just usually had good luck scoring a "balcony" seat.

I nominate Jaimoe to put this list together.

Worst venue? Scherzo's in Kingston when BnB was playing' date=' they ran out of BOOZE! Granted, they were closing down in a week or so...but there is NO EXCUSE for running out of BOOZE!

[/quote']

love this place. booze or not. artwork on the wall, WOOD dance floor, candles on the table for light, no beer advertisements everywhere, and velvety curtain behind stage, all adds up to a small comfortable space to get lost in. had many many a good show there.

yeah, I always loved it, but it was just that one time that I'm referring to. OVERALL, it had good times, but it had fallen apart near the end. That was when I had my worst venue experience.

Oh yeah, and only HALF, that is one side, of the PA system was working.

I cant believe I am reading this. Mike, Scherzo's was fucking WICKED!!!!!!!

I cant believe you brought up that one night. ONE night. 2 or 4 nights before they closed for good, which was a crying shame.

ONE NIGHT!

Did you see anything else there?

I recall a few. Think about it. Dumb dumb dumb answer to this question.

Fack, I always loved Scherzo's

Always. Great room for music. That place was hedonistic moreso than any other room that size, even when I had grown out of that style. Bands fed of that bump and grind. Dirty nasty. Just the way it is supposed to be.

And more:

Opera house and The Phenoix ,both places because of Security .Opera house ,when you are outside ,styling security is still riding you .The Phenoix cause they shake you down worse than the border.Oh yeah and any all ages venue,maybe I'm just an old wrinkled ****.

the old "Healey's." the L shape with the stage down at the far end, the low ceiling, always made me feel claustrophobic...it always seemed like more fun to hang out in the alley next door.

I agree with your observation, but the old Healey's was authentic in the blues bar tradition, thus I loved the place. Blues bars are not the most comfortable places, but squeezing up to the stage inches away from Son Seals? Well, it don't get no better than that.