Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone's 25 Most Underappreciated Artists

Jaimoe

The editors obviously picked bigger type acts, but I have issues with a couple of the choices: Bob Seger, Alice Cooper and Tom Petty? I can't argue with the Top 6, especially #1 and #2. Roxy Music can fuck off.

1. Tom Waits

2. The Replacements

3. Cheap Trick

4. Sonic Youth

5. Warren Zevon

6. Big Star

7. The Pharcyde

8. Roxy Music

9. Talking Heads

10. Bob Seger

11. Fugazi

13. The Cramps

14. The New York Dolls

15. The Band

16. The Cars

17. Pogues

18. Alice Cooper

19. Dinosaur Jr

20. Sleater-Kinney

21. Husker Du

22. Devo

23. Wilco

24. Tom Petty

25. Ween

I'm not sure how The Band or, for that matter, Tom Waits are underappreciated. No Marillion is wrong but , then again, it's Rolling Stone. Roxy Music are awesome.

Yeah, The Band is a strange one. But, it always seems when this topic comes up, so does The Band. It seems alot of people know and like the Band's music, but at the same time, think nobody does. 028ws9.gif

At least thats my take on it.

I think Cheap Trick's early studio albums are underappreciated.

I wish I listened to The New York Dolls growing up. Fantastic band with no hits and a star that never shone brightly outside of NYC.

Never really got into the New York Dolls until I saw the documentary Killer and gained a whole new appreciation of them.

I'm not sure how The Band or' date=' for that matter, Tom Waits are underappreciated. No Marillion is wrong but , then again, it's Rolling Stone. Roxy Music are awesome.[/quote']

Yeah, The Band is a strange one. But, it always seems when this topic comes up, so does The Band. It seems alot of people know and like the Band's music, but at the same time, think nobody does. 028ws9.gif

At least thats my take on it.

The thing is with The Band, is that the people that don't know, don't know, if you know what I mean. Most folks don't realize they were Ronnie Hawkins band or even Bob Dylan's band for that matter. They don't realized The Band saved Rock and Roll when The Big Pink was released. So in that matter they are very very underrated by the masses. Perhaps only Black Sabbath is more under rated.

Edited by Guest

I guess it depends on your childhood.

Growing up I heard about the Band probally more then any other music group (thats how I discovered Dylan), all my friends either listened to them or knew who they were. Same went for my parents and their friends - although they used to see them play in Port Dover at the dances Ronnie Hawkins hosted in the 50's.

For me and most of my close friends, we heard it as children, The Band was played in my home since the day I was born. I can't think of a single person I know who hasn't heard of them. I can however, introduce you to people who have never heard the Grateful Dead, or realize Jerry garcia is dead.

70's Black Sabbath is the most underappreciated, under rated band in history (despite their popularity). period. I can't believe Rolling Stone does not see this.

As you can see to the left, I'm older than most on this board. My friends and I listened to Sabbath on a daily basis between 1973 and 1979.

So they were hardly under-appreciated as far as I'm concerned!

The thing is though, you could back up most of RS's Top 25 underappreciated claims by doing very little research. Personal opinions are a harder sell.

Fugazi are underappreciated as are The Replacements, Dino Jr. and the eternal cult hero Tom Waits.

How about television? I had heard of them but didn't know about them at all until I heard Jaimoe talking about them and that jeff tweedy was influenced by them. Downloaded their cds and now I can't stop listening to them.

How about television? I had heard of them but didn't know about them at all until I heard Jaimoe talking about them and that jeff tweedy was influenced by them. Downloaded their cds and now I can't stop listening to them.

weird. I heard the Jaimoe promo and downloaded an album and could not get into it at all. That was a couple months ago so I can't point out any specifics but I sure hear their name in the "next big thing" bin a lot.

Well, I'm wearing a Marquee Moon t-shirt today (no joke), but I think the RS list picked artists that have flirted or have been overlooked by the mainstream.