Jambands.ca

The John Henrys at Irene's (Ottawa) June 23

bradm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was great! It'd been far too long since I'd seen the JHs.

Wasn't a full night of the John Henry's, there ended up being an opening act. While they seemed to keep pretty tightly to a formula, they didn't suck by any means (and to be fair, I was outside for much of the set) and have the coolest name ever, "The Bible Allstars". I wish I'd thought of it.

Good fun. Where the heck were all the skanks? Howler, I'm looking at you ..

eeeeeeeeeeeeeekskies!

Sorry D to the rock. I came back to Electric city sooner than I thought I would when this was initially posted.

I would have loved to have rocked it out with y'all. Instead Wilson, Des and I rocked out the b-ball court...I won being the only one who can stand on 2 legs unaided! :P...btw...strollers are great beer holders! ;)

That was one of the best John Henrys shows I've seen, and I've seen most of them. They were a bundle of energy and they played their asses off.

I'm hoping they (someday) approve uploading recordings to the Live Music Archive, so that people who haven't had the chance to see them live can appreciated just how phenomenally good a band they are. Great songwriting (from "100 Years": "Nobody knows the kinds of trouble we're in", which is subtly different from "Nobody knows the kind of trouble we're in"), stellar playing (even down to the drumming, which isn't just bashbashbash punkabilly drumming; the textures, pace, and dynamics vary just as the song demands), perfect arrangements (a great balance of three guitars or two guitars + keys, and a great mix of the singing duties), and a wonderful use of standard structures and forms, that don't ever surprise you except when you realize just how good they are.

(And it probably goes without typing that I'm currently listening to the recording from Saturday night. :o )

Aloha,

Brad

from "100 Years": "Nobody knows the kinds of trouble we're in"' date=' which is subtly different from "Nobody knows the kind of trouble we're in"[/quote']

The song you are talking about is a Gram Parsons cover entitled 100 Years From Now.

Thanks, Booche. The first few times I heard TJH do it live, I swore it was a cover, but I (think I) heard from someone close to the band that it was an original (others have also thought that "Ain't Gonna Drink No More" is also a cover). I'll check the liner notes to the "Sweet As The Grain" CD when I get home to see what it's listed as. (They also did "Hickory Wind" on Saturday, which I think is also a Parsons tune.)

Aloha,

Brad