Jambands.ca

Vegan parents found guilty of infant murder

bouche

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy shit beats, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

seriously man!

...back away carefully Mooosey and you won't regret bothering yourself with this conversation as I do now.

on another note-I LOVE your location-relocation-vocation-rotation-notation! :) :) :)

Electric city all the way baby!

Edited by Guest

Our physiology is that of an omnivore. We can survive without meat but if we ever try to eat it after a long time without, we become sick. That doesn' mean that meat is toxic, it means that we conditioned our body to not accept something it was designed to.

Actually, I've gone several years with no meat, then ate fish,(which I caught following the conservation fishing laws) then gone several more years with no meat, eggs or dairy and had a bowl of beef stew. (It was completely organic, raised by a guy who grew all his own food, lived completely off the grid) and I've never had a problem with it. I wonder if the rejection of meat is just a psychological thing.

Bokonon, you ate meat as close to being pure as you could have described.

anyhow, yes - veganism takes a lot of effort and understanding both yourself and nutrition.

and i DO know my ass from a hole in the ground. I just made some strong statements. Looks like 'discussion' and 'barking' are synonomous in your dictionary. what in particular are you referring to?

• 1 month later...

plants have feelings too... :P;)

Plants 'recognize' their siblings

Submitted by Vidura Panditaratne on Wed, 2007-06-13 17:18.Sci | Non-geographical | News

Plants are able to recognise their siblings, according to a study appearing today in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters.

Researchers at McMaster University have found that plants get fiercely competitive when forced to share their pot with strangers of the same species, but they’re accommodating when potted with their siblings.

“The ability to recognize and favour kin is common in animals, but this is the first time it has been shown in plants†Susan Dudley, associate professor of biology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada, said. “When plants share their pots, they get competitive and start growing more roots, which allows them to grab water and mineral nutrients before their neighbours get them. It appears, though, that they only do this when sharing a pot with unrelated plants; when they share a pot with family they don’t increase their root growth. Because differences between groups of strangers and groups of siblings only occurred when they shared a pot, the root interactions may provide a cue for kin recognition.â€

Though they lack cognition and memory, the study shows plants are capable of complex social behaviours such as altruism towards relatives, says Dudley. Like humans, the most interesting behaviours occur beneath the surface.

Dudley and her student, Amanda File, observed the behavior in sea rocket (Cakile edentula), a member of the mustard family native to beaches throughout North America, including the Great Lakes.

So should gardeners arrange their plants like they would plan the seating at a dinner party?

“Gardeners have known for a long time that some pairs of species get along better than others, and scientists are starting to catch up with why that happens,†says Dudley. “What I’ve found is that plants from the same mother may be more compatible with each other than with plants of the same species that had different mothers. The more we know about plants, the more complex their interactions seem to be, so it may be as hard to predict the outcome as when you mix different people at a party.â€

http://pressesc.com/01181755074_plants_recognise_siblings

Well Beats, since you asked...

Things to consider - the fact that humans are not designed to take in soy protein or cow's milk or any man-made, processed foods (like bread made from flour for example), and that veganism is 99% a political choice rather than a dietary one.

wrong. the human body is designed to take in soy protein and any other plant protein you might care to distinguish.

you are right about the dairy, though, and to an extent the processed foods - the processing takes away some of the benefit of some foods, and in some cases makes it hard on your body.

also, i don't think you are qualified to speak to the motivation behind choosing a vegan lifestyle.

I don't know a single person that brings up how easy it is to eat properly as a vegan before saying something about how it's more environmentally or socially conscious and that it's a decision we as humans can make in this society.

probably because you are a city-dweller of north america - it's not easy to eat properly as a vegan. life is not all about taking the easy way.

Hell, I don't even hear the old 'all canadian dairy is pasteurized, thus rendering it empty food value - making the infusion of vitamins and minerals absolutely necessary to even attempt to outweigh any of the negative effects dairy has on the body' argument before I hear about how it's a social choice.

not sure what the social choice is here that you're talking about. you lost me on this point.

I don't see the difference between forcing veganism on a child and forcing religion or politics on a child. Those values aren't something a child should ever have to deal with and even in the case of really intelligent, functioning vegans, it is not a natural lifestyle that a human would ever face in the wild.

I've got too many problems with this paragraph to spell it all out for you, so how about this:

I don't see the difference between forcing 'a diet based on a convenience and mass-consumption lifestyle' on a child and forcing religion or politics on a child. Those values aren't something a child should ever have to deal with and even in the case of really intelligent, functioning mass-consumers, it is not a natural lifestyle that a human would ever face in the wild.

Only difference between your point and mine, is veganism can be done well with effort.

Our physiology is that of an omnivore. We can survive without meat but if we ever try to eat it after a long time without, we become sick. That doesn' mean that meat is toxic, it means that we conditioned our body to not accept something it was designed to.

You're right, it doesn't mean that mean is toxic, it means that we have weaned ourselves off of it. This point only demonstrates what a stress it is on our system to digest animal products. I am not arguing that everyone can go without - I believe that some peoples bodies really do function better with meat - but your point here doesn't hold together.

The mass farming of animals for human consumption is often inhumane and unappreciated, but villifying it completely is just as nearsighted as vegans on their soapboxes and meateaters playing into their political trap.

balance the propaganda you are inundated with - seek greater perspective, then stop and think for yourself. most importantly, live in accordance with your beliefs. not all vegans are on soapboxes.

Assuming milk intolerance doesn't play into it, It is far healthier for someone to get their protein from cottage cheese or a can of tuna than it is from soy as our bodies can metabolize animal protein. Better yet, the art of food combining (cooking with ingredients that support oneanother nutritionally and your body can more easily digest together) plays a far greaater role in nutrition than politics and food fashion.

see, this is pure opinion for the sake of your argument. I could list a hundred sources of protein that are healthier than your tuna and cottage cheese. But I won't. The "art" of food combining is important, I agree.

I think you should look at veganism as a viable and healthy diet, and not as a food fashion or political choice. I think it is comfortable to look at it in such a light because it makes it easier to dismiss, and who wouldn't want to dismiss such a drastic lifestyle change...

I'm a firm believer in eating real food. Vegetables, grains, meat/fish/eggs/beans, cheese, nuts, natural oils - and to a lesser extent vinegars, honey, herbs, spices - and like to avoid foods that have been processed as our bodies don't really metabolize them efficiently.

I'm not the posterboy for healthy living, but I know what feels better and it makes a world of difference when I can stick to my guns and not listen to the canadian food guide or the establishment when I'm told to avoid saturated fats (re: coconut oil) and that soy products are good for me. my body is not biased.

I don't think your body can know what is in store for it until you have tried other options. It takes time and dedication to feel the effects of a cleaner body. Of course you have to interpret and think about the intention behind recommendations of the canada food guide.

I'd love to get into this more, even put more thought into the words I've chosen, but I'm going to be late for a dinner date. mmmmmmm dinner....

Thank you very much Mooose.

After I wrote that ridiculous post I figured you would post this much sooner.

You're really the one vegan thatapplied the best perspective to me back when you were starting your dairy cleanse back in the Patch.

I'm personally not ready for that increased personal sensitivity and dietary responsibility.

I'm glad that you were finally able to write this.

cheers beats.

I'm glad you took that well. I thought a bit about the post later and hoped I wasn't confrontational about my response. Just wanted to address your words according to my perspective, and expand on the 'hole-in-the-ground' comment :P

Yes, I remember now, you were around when I was making the shift. For some reason that seemed more epic than going veg some 10 years ago. I guess it's required as much work to make the transition from veg to vegan... you should see me now, though, boy, i'm rockin the vegan life like nothin else :P it was, at the time, among the hardest commitments (or decisions) to make, but as these biggies generally are, it's also been the most eye-opening and excellent.

that said, i'm hoping to learn to ride a motorbike sometime in the next year, and i have yet to encounter any alternative to full-on leather to keep my skin safe.

i guess you choose your battles and do what ya can, eh?! :)