Jambands.ca

Grateful Dead / Al Franken connection?

AD

Anyone know of a connection between the Dead and Al Franken?

I'm watching Al Franken's new movie 'God Spoke' and during his bit at the Democratic Convention a passage from Terrapin Station is mixed in, supposedly as the background music in the convention hall. Then when he is doing Air America from the Republican Convention the exact same passage from Terrapin is in the background.... Very strange. Wonder why they would edit that in kinda sneakily? Or did he use Dead music on his show? I dunno.

Not sure on the connection besides being a fan.

I have a GD show on 4 DVDs from Radio City Music Hall 1980-10-31 where Franken does a closed circuit broadcast during setbreak which is comedic gold (in my opinion). Interviewing different members of GD about helping poor deadheads (Jerry's Kids) get to the next show, mindless rambling from a very high Bob Weir and a great clip where Brent forgets how to play St. Stephen.. as well, tests to tell if your on drugs and canned ham (or something)give-a-aways for fans who answer GD trivia correctly.

Probally not much help, but thought I mention it.

He also "opens" with Chevy Chase (i think?) on the dvd Dead Ahead (i think its this one, any help on this?) ...he fakes doing a comedy routine and when people boo him hes like "well if you keep booing me I'll just get off the stage and the boys will play some music for ya" or somethign like that...and they basically just introduce the dead

yeah, Greg, we've seen that, too. Absolute hilarity. Franken has a sidekick....(or it's a duo)...what is the other guy's name?

Tom Davis interviews Steve Parrish about how he deals with out of control fans and he also asks the fans trivia at the show.

Watching it now. Bob's part is great. :cool:

Let's not forget the classic intro to the Franken and Davis routine on Dead Ahead by Brent Mydland , it went something like :

"I really hate to do this, because I've never heard of these guys before ... and I don't think they're very funny. Anyway ... here's Frank and Dave."

There was also that odd little bit at the intermission of Ticket To New Years where Tom Davis interviews Jerry Garcia giving his favorite recipes.